Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Active handicap

• 24-01-2023 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭

Quick question someone may know answer, friend of mine thinking about taking the year out of playing as he is busy with other things for year and won't get chance to play much. So probably going to let his membership lapse

How long will his handicap stay active?

If he joined in January '24 would he need to submit 3 cards again to obtain a handicap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

A handicap is lapsed when you are not a member of a club. If you rejoin within a year, it can be reactivated. If more than a year, a new handicap must be applied for by submitting 54 holes of scores. Reference can be made to the old handicap by the committee when determining the new one.

Not sure when the clock starts though. I think it might start when your old club updates Golf Ireland system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭big_drive

Thanks, wasn't certain as I thought I remember reading some place that it didn't lapse after a year under new system but I must be wrong on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

On a similar note, if you don't play at all at your 'home' club for a year, do you maintain your handicap? And does it maintain its 'competition status'?

I've a distance membership that is very far away from me, and I haven't managed 3 rounds there this year.

I was told once that to keep it active and for competitions/entry to opens, you would have to submit 3 cards at your home course every year.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I don't believe this is a requirement and I can't find any reference to it in WHS or Golf Ireland documentation. Nor is it in any Golf Ireland reports.

I found this question asked on a Howdidido WHS Q&A:

Will there still be competition status handicaps? No, a WHS Handicap Index cannot “lapse”. Committees will govern eligibility for entry in the Conditions of Competition.  

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

I believe this is correct also. Your handicap won't lapse as long as you are a paid up member of a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

3 Comps at home course to qualify for Open Competitions for the following year under CONGU, I presume its the same for WHS

No such restrictions for home competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭CFG92

This has changed with the WHS. There's no c status anymore so there's no requirement to have played a minimum number of comps at your home club to enter opens.

Advertisement