Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for Endocrinologist in Cork , newly diagnosed with Diabetes

Options
  • 24-01-2023 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Tried in the main thread but I could do with a recommendation for an endocrinologist in the Cork area , not looking for medical advice but want to try to get this under control asap .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Type 2 diabetes? Normally, if someone diagnoses you with diabetes they would refer to endocrinologist usually at a Cork Univesity hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

as far as my gp is concerned , no need to refer to an endocrinologist , she started me on 500mg Metformin twice a day , bloods taken once a month using a test called HbA1c test , and obviously change my diet a lot , my only problem is that I have no colon (ileostomy) which might make things a little trickier .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have to say , I'm surprised you've not been referred to an endocrinologist, particularly given your additional medical situation. I developed Diabetes 2 , in part because of an underlying Thyroid Disease (Graves) but was already referred to an endocrinologist in Portlaoise. They operate a separate Diabetes Clinic.

My own GP surgery, however have a practice Nurse and she monitors Bloods, Feet , and Sugar levels , I see her every 3 months, I was also given Blood sugar level testing equipment. Worth pointing out ,you should apply for the long term illness card ,this covers the cost of testing strips and you'll not be charged for Diabetes medications also . If a medical card holder , Gov levy also waived with this card.

Have you been referred to Retina Screening also 🤔 this should also have been done by your GP.

Finally , regardless of your situation, you'll require a referral letter from your GP if looking for an endocrinologist privately.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

thanks Dempo for that , seeing the practice nurse tomorrow and have a list of questions for her , going to push for a referral from my GI consultant as she is really proactive , and going to insist on getting the blood sugar testing kit just to keep on top of things ,

not given much from the doc apart from a script for metformin and told to look on diabetes ireland for info , was kinda put off that site as they have a fairly hefty monthly/yearly sub if you want to become a member ,

should know more tomorrow ,including what my levels were and are at the moment ,

as regards the retina scanning , is this the one done by an optician ?(had eye test a month ago ),

thanks again for the helpful info , appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe sorry to hear that @OP.

it is possible to still enjoy foods even with diabetes do just healthier foods.

Two of my family are diabetic one is Type 1 and the other Type 2 and I have a friend who is a marginal diabetic too.

Just watch your sugars and try not to go too high or too low and you will be good. If you are a type 1 then always have something sweet with you incase you do go low.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi there, the Retina screening is actually done seperately and not by opticians, when you meet with the practice nurse mention this. They have clinics around the country. Also enquire about chiropodist.

I should mention I've a full medical card. If you don't, definitely apply for the long term illness card, it's not means tested and once you've been prescribed medication, you'll qualify, Doctor will fill out the form and may have them in the surgery.

Whilst an endocrinologist, not a bad idea, the Practice nurse will likely cover all your needs whilst liaising with GP

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement