Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sowing spring barley, then putting grass

Options
  • 24-01-2023 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice here, a friend has 20 acres of good land but has been neglected and needs to be reseeded

He was considering sowing spring barley and then try and get it back into grass the back end of the year,he said he would qualify for €400 an hectare

he has no machinery to do the work, how much would it cost to produce an acre of barely including sowing, spraying harvesting and fertilizer?

what type of yields should be got?how many bales to the acre of straw would he get?

Or would he be better just to put it in grass in May altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Back in the day people used to undersow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If he decides to do it text book wise to get around 3T/ HA it will probably be 4-500/ acre.

I have grown barley by discing and chain harrowing in the seed. If you keep the barley rate low enough you can undersow the grass seed as well. Problem is you have an arable silage crop.

Everything depends on what level of crop he wants. I have heard of lads putting 150 units of N on barley. I have see. Lads grow it with slurry and 80 units of N.

At 5 bags of 18-6-12/ care he would need 5 ton. 18-6-12 is quoted around 900/ ton at present but will probably be below 700 by April.

Discing is 60/ run . You would need two runs of a disc or 120/ acre. To spray a generic gysophate will cost 25-30/ acre@2L/ acre. I presume rolling will cost another 20-40/acre.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

He would be ploughing it, he could roll it himself and spread the fertilizer, would it be possible to get 3 ton to the acre? I know it’s ground depending but how much an acre in your opinion would it cost to produce 3 ton?

If it took a lot of fertilizer how much would he have to spread when reseeding his grass in the autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

3T/acre would probably require a nice bit of management and spraying. He will just need to price the cost from a contractor.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement