Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Classical Guitar?

Options
  • 25-01-2023 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi. I did classical guitar lessons when I was a teenager, and I still have my standard size nylon string classical guitar. However, I've been playing a steel string acoustic guitar for the last few years, where the strings are much closer together due to the narrower nut width (52mm classical vs 44mm acoustic). I'm getting back into the classical stuff now, but just can't really get to grips with the old guitar. The neck feels massive and the strings so far apart. I'm tempted to invest in a new nylon string guitar, but with a tighter neck setup than the standard classical. I'm just looking for advice on what I should look for? I reckon my attention should be going towards a 7/8 size classical guitar, but don't want to make the wrong decision. Just looking for opinions\advice.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Always found with guitars, you know it’s the right one for you when you play it, if it feels right you’ve made the right decision.

A lot of the established brands make narrow-necked nylon string guitars, but they seem to be mostly around 47/48mm in nut width: (https://producerhive.com/buyer-guides/acoustic-guitars/best-nylon-string-guitars-with-thin-necks/ <<- short list for example here). Taylor have 2 on this list & I’ve always found them to be nice instruments to play. If you’re based in Dublin, Music Maker have a nice acoustic section upstairs & they sell Taylor (along with Lowden, Faith (who do a nice variety of acoustic guitars called ‘Naked’, sound great & not too expensive) & others.

If you have trouble finding something you like, Lowden make custom guitars to spec. They’d build the guitar specifically for you depending on what you wanted. Could work out very expensive but it’d be a one-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Advertisement