Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Shoot Out - #Clockisticking 25-28 January, Eurosport, Discovery+, Matchroom.live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

This format has grown on me, have to say. Albeit patience usually runs thin with the crowd.

Impossible to predict, what I like about it is it usually propels someone up the ranking and that can be the boost they need, earning them wildcard like entries to Champion of Champions, etc. Like Hossain Vofaei last year, or Ryan Day year before.

Going against what I have just said re: boosting a laggard, I think Mark Williams might be the man to beat this year. His care-free, unconventional, impulsive snooker brain is well suited for it, just needs luck on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Win for the young Romanian 14 year old earlier and now McGuigan from the North.

It is also where the youngsters coming through get a bit of experience playing on TV against the seasoned tour pros

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

excellent acute angle red by The Milkman there to the middle bag; deserved the win for that one alone

Fouldsy was in awe!

Ken gets a win anyway.

Maguire really didn't turn up to play there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd completely forgotten this was coming up!

I'd also forgotten how very painful the audience are 🙄

• Advertisement

14 year old Riley Powell from Wales beats Kyren Wilson.

That's a great day out for a young lad

Jesus, the head on Highfield!!

I'd forgotten about him.

Poomjaeng def winning the entertainment division so far!

Poomjaeng going a bit loopy, you have to like it.

Good woman, Reanne!!

This is all very entertaining and all (apart from the drunken eejits in the cheap seats) - but how on earth is it a ranking event?? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Is it just me or does the sound of the audience sound very tinny? Like the sound is being broadcast over a speaker.. very annoying.

• Advertisement

The whole thing comes across very amateurish.... camerawork is all over the shop as well (looked like all except one wasn't working for about the first hour of this evening session).

There seems to be whole sections of empty seats, might account for the audience acoustics.

They do have that 360 degree camera here again. I do like the views that gives. Might not be on tonight though.

Early today the beeps weren't working and Marcel the ref had to tell the players when time was ticking down. Then the crowd started doing the beeps to tell the player the time was ticking down. Great bit of fun.

There's not many ranking points really. You only get 2k for reaching the last 16.

5 grand for the highest break. Holt has that so far with 116. 2nd century today there now, but tough to beat 116 from here, someone might do it.

Still enough to tip someone into the top 16, according to the commentator (presumably simultaneously knocking someone else out).

Just seems a bit mad for such a chaotic, random event.

For the likes of Mark Davis hovering around 64 cut off for the tour card, a grand or two can make all the difference at the end of the season.

Even for the top 16 for Sheffield for the lkes of Gary Wilson, Dave Gilbert or Vafaei etc.

Fluke of the year right there! 😱🤣

Desi looks about 12 without her glasses!

Welsh v Irish ties tommorow

Ken Dohery v Dominic Dale

Jackson Page v Fergal O'Brien

Reanne gets Gary Wilson

All Thai affair for Poomjaeng v Thepchiya. That will be entertaining no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Alan MacManus is very good on commentary in this. He has clearly put a lot of thought (perhaps too much) into the correct tactics in various end-game situations. Foulds is still mainly stuck in 'normal' snooker thinking.

edit.

example : For something like 'cueball in hand' so many players start on the easiest red available that has access to a big colour. Whereas MacManus has correctly pointed out that the 'second easiest red' is usually the better play, and keep the easiest red for the third shot in your break.

Post edited by ArmaniJeanss on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

watched it for the first time last night, the matches are entertaining in a harem scarem kind of way. The audience is super annoying though - I assume they're trying to encourage a darts type atmosphere but it just doesn't work with such a small crowd. The list of previous winners is virtually all mid-ranked journeymen which shows how random the format is (even allowing for the fact that some of the top guys don't turn up).

I've been trying to figure out what stops the shot clock - is it striking the cue ball, or is it the cue ball hitting the object ball?

I know they said yesterday that at the end the final shot carries past the final clock until all the balls have stopped, so that's not what I'm asking - I'm talking about during the game.

Wiki not very helpful on the subject!

Ken gone out to Dale.

Dominic Dale is some character with his Welsh Warbling

I'd say the shot clock stops when the cue ball is struck. Not much time between that and object ball being hit in many cases anyway.

It's when the cue ball is struck, though you'll still hear the beep a second or two after they've hit the ball.

What will happen when the ref needs to spend a minute or so respotting a pink or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ref took about 10/12 seconds to spot the pink (no spot available) in a frame yesterday. The match clock continued to run but the shot clock didn't start until the ref signalled.

I do remember thinking that such an occurrence would be unfortunate if it happened in the final 60 seconds. Though could argue that the player shouldn't have tracked/potted the pink (if he is losing) if there was any chance of it leading to a delay, so it's a game awareness thing.

I've seen the refs breaking into a trot occasionally when they've a colour to re-spot from the other end of the table, so they do their best!

Is Jimmy White alright these days?

He has the look of someone who's had a feed of early pints, but he also has the slight look of someone with early parkinsons or something like that......

Back from an ad break yesterday he was talking like he had something in his mouth

That was a good frame between Fergal and Jackson Page. Good win for Fergal

• Advertisement

McManus is the absolute kiss of death for every player - every time he says what a brilliant potter they are, or how they're a dead cert for this shot, or this one's in the pocket guaranteed - bang, they miss! 🤣

Every. Single. Time.

Advertisement