Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it OK to ask about the pension and health insurance benefits in a job interview?

• 25-01-2023 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I have a job interview soon. I haven't interviewed in years so I forget the format of the "HR part of the interview".

I have occasionally interviewed candidates for the company I work for now but I always stepped in just for the "technical questions" and stepped back out again at the end.

I have an interview coming up for a more senior and better paying role in another company and I don't know if their benefits match what I'm on now, i.e., VHI for my boyfriend and me and 12% employer pension contribution. Would it be poor form to ask in the interview what the benefits are and annual leave entitlement? It wasn't stipulated in the job spec.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,034 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

For a senior level role, you'd normally be talking details like that later in the process than the first interview.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Sure is.

I'd hope they'd have had that in the job spec or explain it to you.

Just hr, I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I believe the etiquette is that you interview, see if you are a fit and whether the company are interested. If you are successful they will make an offer and you can negotiate after that. Its a pain in the hole because if the salary and benefits are way off the mark everyone has wasted their time, however it can work to your advantage if you interview well and they really want you. It's a good idea to phrase it as "my current contract has x, y and z and I would like to retain those benefits" rather than say I want x, y and z

At the end of the day they will have a list of benefits and a salary range that they can offer you if you ask, so it's all a bit moot

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm in a fairly senior IT role and moved jobs a few months back

Interviewed for five roles, three outlined benefits in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That should be the way.

Why waste our time.

Ask away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I had my interview yesterday and got a call that evening that I got the role.

I told my work yesterday and this morning I was called into the office and they offered to match the salary and benefits from the new prospective employer to keep me (albeit with extra responsibilities) .. so happy days :) I get to stay in my comfort zone and still be within cycling distance of home. Boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Ask your current employers for more. Also get their offer in writing.

Ask yourself, why was I moving in the first place?

You won't be in any comfort zone with new responsibilities, how could that be?

congrats by the way.

PS - did you check to see what perks you might be entitled to at this point. Don't forget either, 2 days ago they took you for granted, now they are worried you might be a flight risk, this may impact on the type of work they give you. it is astonishing how fickle employers get when they run out of options on resources, never forget we are all just slaves with names and a number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭screamer

Good luck with it, I’ve always found even matching the offer, most people who have gone to the bother of updating cvs and going for interviews elsewhere have already made up their mind, there’s something inherently wrong with the current role or company. Extra money keeps them happy a while but it’s never enough to retain them long term, so my advice would be to keep the ould cv updated for when your feet get itchy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Personally I'd wait until offer stage to ask specifics about the package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,427 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

which might be 4 or 5 stages...

that's a lot of wasted time.

benefits are standard for most employees of a company. Salary is more often than not where the negotiation is. Senior execs can negotiate further benefits but generally benefits packages are the same throughout an organisation.

I'd have zero issue asking what the standard benefits are before even arranging a first round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

I agree. As I said it's my personal preference.

That said i don't think I'd apply for a role any longer that doesn't list the package up front

Advertisement