Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would your last meal be? Three course.

Options
  • 26-01-2023 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Many of us here see each others dinners on a semi-regular basis and it's pretty varied. But if you only had one meal before you go. Maybe you're on death row, maybe you know you've only one meal to go ever again. Three courses. What would they be?

Personally ... whilst there are tastier dishes out there, ones with more finesse required, fancier ingredients, I'd probably plump for something nostalgic, something comforting.

• Prawn cocktail. I'll never forget my disgust when I found that marie rose was just mainly a mix of mayo and ketchup but still special. Always the Christmas starter, prawns were a treat back then, simple and delicious.
    • Chicken kiev with frites or some baby new potatoes. Salt and butter. Bearnaise if it's frites. I dunno, this isn't a childhood one, I just love a good chicken kiev.
    • Ice cream. Probably just plain vanilla in a wafer. Vienetta a close second. Definitely a childhood one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

hmm I've thought about this (when watching i'm a celeb.. get me out of here)..

starter - prawn pil pil.. & garlic bread..

main - fillet of roast hake, veg and side of skin on chips and aioli

desert - choc brownie (warm) n ice cream

and 2 glasses of a v nice sav blanc NZ..

then zzz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This one will have to be thought of for a little bit. Ok, that’s enough. 😋

Starter. A giant gamba in garlic chilli butter with some crusty bread.

Main. Rasher and sausage pie.

Pud. Jam Roly Poly, custard and cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

If I was on Death Row, it’d just be a bottle of Middleton rare, not sure I’d have an appetite.

Otherwise:

Starter: Garlic tiger prawns

Main: Fillet Steak, mushrooms, fried onions, shoe string fries , bearnaise sauce.

Desert: Crème Brûlée & a bottle of Middleton Rare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Minestrone soup

Fillet steak

Banoffi pie

Redbreast 21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

so hard to choose! definitely not the most exciting choices, but when it comes to it, I would have to go with:

crispy Chicken wings with buffalo sauce (has to be from La Bucca!)

Roast chicken dinner, small amount of veg, loads of roasties and gravy! with mcdonalds fries on the side!

warm thin crepe with vanilla ice cream and butterscotch sauce

Bottle of St Emillion Grand Cru, mmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Tribeca in Ranelagh used to do amazing deep fried calamari so Id have that to start.

Main would be a medium rare 16oz T-bone steak with a lobster surf and some seasonal vegetables on the side.

Not really a dessert person but Id have a decent sized slice of millionaires shortbread.

Washed down by a couple of bottles of ice cold Erdinger Dunkel.

Take me down now guards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I'll have what you're having, excellent choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This is one of those questions that comes up all the time and honestly, I'd probably end up dying hungry because I suffer from the world's worst choice paralysis.

Dessert would definitely be a cheeseboard, though, cause I don't like sweet things at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Starter: Buffalo wings

Main: Flame grilled rib eye, onion rings, fries, pepper sauce

Desert: Trifle

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Hot n Spicy Chicken wings

A fillet steak medium rare with onion rings skinny chips and pepper sauce

A massive bowl of strawberry, chocolate and banana ice cream

All washed down with a pint of Heineken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Starter: Large bowl of really good chowder, Brown bread on the side

Main: Fish Tacos, side portion of chips

Desert: Sticky Toffee pudding (warm) with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Starter: French Onion soup topped with Gruyere Cheese (just had this on holiday and I could live on it alone)

Main: Chicken Jalfrezi with Pilau Rice and Garlic Naan Bread

Dessert: Lemon Meringue Pie

Glass of Cava

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

I'd eat the executioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

- Prawns and crab claws smothered in garlic butter with brown soda bread for dipping

- a really good chicken curry (I love curry, all types of curry)

- some sort of a gooey chocolate brownie or tart with berry coulis and vanilla ice cream and crushed pistachios

All washed down with a nice bottle of Bordeaux

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Prawns are a popular starter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Great thread!!

For me...

Starter- Tomato and basil soup with garlic bread

Main- well done fillet steak with chips, onion rings and peppercorn sauce

Dessert- Trio of desserts- apple crumble, lemon meringue pie and a fudgy chocolate brownie

Drinks wise- a nice cold diet coke 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Ah you can't have a well done steak, sure it would be dry 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Starter: deep fried brie

Main: A creamy Bacon and mushroom tagliatelle carbonara

Dessert: Sticky Toffee Pudding warm with salted caramel ice-cream

(all enjoyed alongside a crisp Sauvignon Blanc)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Tippman24

Starter: Buffalo Wings.

Main: Porterhouse Steak/Chips/Onions/Bernaise Sauce.

Dessert: Sherry Triffle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm struggling with a starter, but for main I think I would opt for a really good Neapolitan style pizza with simple toppings, something puffy and yet crisp, like Reggie White has served at restaurants like Pi Pizza and others.

A very high quality cheese smashburger with fries was a contender.

I also considered steak and chips with all the trimmings, but I think I'd want a very specific cut of meat ... The spinalis dorsi, which is difficult to get.

For desert, hands-down it would be a large slice of simple baked cheesecake in a fairly neutral flavour, like vanilla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Prawn Cocktail, but with the iceberg I'd also have some freshly foraged Samphire mixed through, I love that stuff so much

I love beef, so I'm going to go with steak for mains - I'd want a few different bits, a small piece of Wagyu, and some Irish Dexter, a small fillet seared and served blue, and a ribeye cooked perfectly with the fat rendered.

Beef dripping fries, green beans as the veg and some exquisite creamy pepper sauce for dipping

for desert, the full sherry trifle that my ma makes for xmas, not one portion of it. The full thing.

then some peaty, briney Islay scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Starter: Crab claws, prawns in the shell with garlic butter and homemade white soda bread.

Main: 20oz Sirloin steak - rare (I still cant find a steak to beat a good thick sirloin!). Homemade chips, homemade coleslaw and onion rings.

Dessert: Cheeseboard with Port - No particular brand, I'll drink any awld shi*e :)

To drink during the meal: A Midleton rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Chowder (with pumpkin seeds. Thank you hibernian hotel in kilkenny). With proper toasties.

Beef and veg casserole or perhaps bacon and cabbage. With proper toasties.

Very good cheese board. With...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

French Onion Soup, the traditional Parisian way.

Fusilli carbonara, a nice thickish sauce comforting and enveloping the fusilli.

A mighty slice of chocolate ganache for dessert with fresh cream and ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

My main course would be a spicey lamb Indian dish maybe jalfrezi with pilau rice and Nan bread. For starter I would like a lobster with chillies sprinkled over it, the white fleshy meat is divine. For my desert I think I would have Xmas trifle with custard and cream. And I would like a 6-pack of kingfisher to drink with the Indian. Then if I do somehow make it to breakfast I will have a full Irish with ……,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Smoked halibut with lemon & peashooter salad

Roast chicken, stuffing, red peppers, fluffy crispy roast potatoes, gravy with saffron.

Baked Alaska

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Garlic bread and cheese

Organic free range Chicken tikka masala, nan bread, wholegrain rice

Chocolate chip brownie

All of the highest quality of course since it's my last meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

shellfish with garlic butter...

seafood with garlic butter and some mediterranean style veg.. garlic bread..

a warm chocolate chip brownie, butterscotch sauce and ice cream

a nice cold bottle of sav blanc from NZ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Starter: either authentic Sicilian arancini or a nice piece of breaded brie and cranberry sauce.

Main: fillet steak (medium), asparagus, onion rings, mushrooms, and both mash AND thick cut triple cooked chips cos I'm about to die so I might as well load up on all my favourite types of potato. Sure lets throw in some potato dauphinoise too.

Desert: either warm brownie with vanilla ice cream or eton mess.

Drink: a nice red Montepulciano

Advertisement