Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goods received not what was ordered

• 26-01-2023 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

I ordered a pallet of wood briquettes from a fuel company. It was a repeat order of a September last year order that I was very happy with.

This one I'm not happy with. It's a wood briquette but a different brand, not the one advertised and clearly not of the same quality.

The briquettes are off the pallet and stacked in my garage. Haven't used any yet.

Would I have any comeback?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

They were considerably cheaper this time round so I think they thought they could advertise the premium product but deliver a lower quality product.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How exactly did they advertise them? Did they say they were made from peat rather than wood or did it just say briquettes?

Did they reserve the right to supply you with a similar product should the one ordered not be available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There's a few variables at play here, a lot may depend on what exactly you ordered

The goods and services act says good must be "as described". So if you ordered brand A and they delivered brand B then you have some comeback. Regardless if they charged you a lower price they should have contacted you to ensure you were happy to take the other brand

If on the other hand you rang them up and said "can I have more briquettes?" then there wasn't really an agreement on the type or brand, so not sure if you've any recourse against them

Have you tried contacting them? In general this could be sorted out with a simple phone call and you explain that you were expecting brand A and could you swap the ones you have for them

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I got nowhere on the phone. They waffled on saying you ordered wood briquettes and got wood briquettes. It's a different brand (of the same type) because we changed supplier. It's my opinion that the new brand is not the same quality as the new brand.To me it's like ordering a tray of Coca Cola from Tesco but getting a tray of Tesco own-brand cola.

It was a new online order of the same product I had ordered previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

You didn't order the same product then if they were much cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think if the online order was specifically that brand, or shows that brand then you have grounds to say you didn't receive the product you ordered

If the order was for generic briquettes then they can likely say you got the product as described

Will they take the briquettes back for a refund?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I ordered the same product at a cheaper price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Not necessarily unless there was a brand name mentioned.

Wood briquettes shot up in price this year compared to last year so I'm not surprised they changed supplier

They may not look as perfect as the others, but you are burning them so unless there is a very big difference in burning versus anything they say on their website, nothing you can do

Advertisement