Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Owner

• 26-01-2023 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to ask.

I bought my home before I met my husband and he didn't want his name on the house so nothing is in his name Utilies Bank etc.

No paper with his ⁰name on anything. Plus he hasn't been working for years we separated now

I'm trying to change from Pepper to Ebs will it affect my loan application qhen i tell them im Married/Separated as I did buy the house on my own long b4 I met him..

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you are still legally married and if he lived in the house at some stage during your marriage, he may have certain rights. For example, whether he did or did not, he may claim that he made contributions to the mortgage and so (in his mind) has some equity in the property. It may be worth consulting a solicitor.

The new lender (EBS) will ask you to make a declaration about the status of the house and your marital status and if they discover that you are still married and your husband isn't around to sign any documents, that may be a show stopper. Short of a divorce, what you would need from him is a waiver whereby he disclaims any rights over the property. So unless you have already divorced the guy or obtained a legal separation which dealt with ownership of the house, you need to talk a solicitor.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/family_home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Thank you very much that's makes sense now . I'll tip into a Citizens advice and see what they say. Just to cover myself..

Thank so much again for your help.

Much appreciated

Advertisement