Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild camping canal lock gates

Options
  • 26-01-2023 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭

Good morning folks. First time to post in this forum, despite being a member on boards for a long time.

Quick question for those of you in the know. Having done a bit of research, I've seen a few blogs and such suggesting that Waterways Ireland don't have a problem with wild camping on the green spaces beside canal lock gates, particularly if those locks are not serviced by a road.

Anyone here have any experience of this, to either confirm or otherwise?

Thanks in advance,

Cletus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I have seen discreet little tents on green patches by the towpath. And I've seen campervans on the hardstand near bridges and locks. (Done it myself!)

I would chance it for one night but not too conspicuous and not for too long. Some people are easily spooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭cletus

Cheers for the response @Day Lewin.

Yeah, we'll be kayaking, so the plan would be to get there late, and leave early 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sounds just right...just choose a quiet rural spot and you'll be grand.

Advertisement