Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car suggestions

• 26-01-2023 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I am a 21 year old looking to buy my first car. I have had my full license for one year now and am insured under my parents’ policy.

I have about 25k to hand right now, but have my eyes on an electric car, so my max budget is 30k. I would be doing about 15k mileage annually.

I realise that there aren’t many electric cars for this price range but was looking at purchasing a new Nissan Leaf, although I am not sure a 40kW would be extremely practical. While I wouldn’t be doing trips over 200km that often, it’s something that is putting me off this car. Bigger sized batteries are too expensive, so is it still a good idea, in 2023, to purchase a petrol/diesel car?

I was hoping that this car would last me a good few years. Is it a good idea to purchase an electric car now while the SEAI grants are still around, or is petrol/diesel still a viable option?

I would be doing about 250km/week with this car, and would only be driving myself and at most 2 other people so size isn’t all that important for me.

I was quoted 1,300 for insurance for the Nissan Leaf.

In short, is an electric car worth it for me? Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

At 250km a week your fuel bill would only be around €1,500 in a petrol/diesel car. That doesn’t justify spending a big premium on an electric car in my opinion.

Its still okay to buy petrol/diesel cars, especially used ones. They will hold their value for many years to come.

Why exactly do you want an EV? Is it the for the cost savings or you just like how they drive? By all means get one if you want one, but from a financial standpoint its not really worth it. Maybe look at petrol hybrids as well?

Advertisement