Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘With Profits’ investment fund and tax

• 26-01-2023 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

I have one of the above (formally Canada life policy but subsequently managed by Irish life) which is about to mature. I’m just wondering what tax rate will be deducted from it…? From online research and from correspondence from Irish life I’m not able to fully ascertain will it be the typical 33% capital gains tax rate or 20% or as low as 12.5% as some web site suggest…….based on the length of the policy and the amount I contributed to it I won’t be making a huge profit but as like everyone I’d like to be paying as least tax as is legally possible !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

When was the policy started? If it was before 2001, then tax was deducted from the fund all the way through, and the value you see is what you'll get.

If it was 2001 or later, there'll be 41% exit tax deducted from your final value.

I suspect you have a pre 2001 policy, otherwise you'd have been paying deemed exit tax every 8th anniversary in recent decades.

Advertisement