Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car damaged by dealership

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭bmc58

This is not on.If your new car needs a repair due damage caused by the deler I would expect some sort of a small refund.For me the damage repair would have to be inviible and i would expect to have no record of an insurance claim on the car,

Small dents(without paint damage) can be pulled without ever being noticed .I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

It’s really being exaggerated in this thread. If people thing the car is structurally damaged then I think they are just wrong. If the op is worried just reject the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

that is bar stool expertise right here ... OP .. ignore this post please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭raclle

As others have stated, bear in mind how the repair work will look in a few years time and if you ever sell, how much will you lose because of it. Best of luck in whatever ye decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Clearly not going that far (I hope!), I was just stating the process of the SIMI complaint procedure as a response to another poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Is/was there a picture that isn't loading for me?

Sorry, but this is where a little knowledge can be dangerous.

All cars chassis' flex to absorb vibrations in the road, tyres are rubber people change alloys, suspension sags over time, shock absorbers wear out, bushings wear out, the metal expands and contracts with heat, etc.

All Electronic Stability Control systems have online (constantly running) calibration to account for the above variables, and also have tolerances of a few percent so it won't go nuts if you fully load the car and it sees the suspension is low at the back.

I suppose it is *theoretically possible* for a twisted car say to drive straight but for the stability control to throw errors, but it would want to be an absolutly awful cut-and-shut job really.

Crash safety structures have enormous tolerances, especially anything that is subject to a knock or bang on the outside of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

The biggest problem is, you know it has been damaged, so as far as you are concerned it's not your "pristine new flawless pride and joy" and never will be.

And I think you will feel like that as long as you own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

I personally wouldn’t accept the car - the “new car” experience would be ruined for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I never realised we had so many paint and bodywork professionals on this forum amazing !!!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the input.

Not so easy to not accept when we’ve been waiting 6 months and waiting times for a replacement will probably be longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

OP, as usual Boards doesn’t disappoint. Structural engineers & coating experts in abundance as usual. All BS. You can pretty much bet your ass that the repair job will be perfect and, contrary to other opinions, you will see nothing. This crap about the paint fading away to reveal a botch job in 2-5 yrs and/or your car driving on a jelly-like chassis is just more scaremongering BS. Look at the car when you’ve been informed the repair work has been carried out. I have you heavy odds-on to keep it. Good luck with the purchase. You’ll have forgotten all about it in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭sligopaul

Hi OP,

Did you manage to meet the garage, how did it end up

Thanks

Yes. I decided to go ahead and accept it. The damage is relatively minor and the work was carried out by a very reputable bodyshop and I spoke to them. The alternative was to wait for a replacement and it wasn’t worth the wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for getting back.

All the best with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

The one thing not mentioned was...

The dealership could have said nothing. Repaired it, and given it to you.

And I bet 100%, some of the people here that said not to accept. Bought a new car at some stage that was repaired.🤣

Fair play to the dealership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

A good friend of mine bought a new Golf GTI from a main dealer a few years ago. He’s a perfectionist (and a designer) and from day one he was convinced that one of the doors was a fractionally different shade to the rest of the car. Eventually the garage admitted that the door had been damaged and repaired by their approved repairer. He insisted that the car should be replaced with a new one and the garage was left with a 6 month old car which had been repaired. Much better to come clean and take it from there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes the dealer did the right thing.

Dealers often get a bad rap here so when they get it right fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭sligopaul

Yep thanks for update and glad it has been sorted to your satisfaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭GavPJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Every car driver on here is driving a car that has had paint work!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement