Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welding bale tine

Options
  • 26-01-2023 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

Hi folks .can tines be welded back together I bought 2 lately and the lasted no length I m not rough withe them as they broke in the bale.

Maybe the collet the are going in to is worn and that's why they are breaking

I'd like to get 1 welded just to have as a spare

They are kvernland tines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Looks like cast to me? Junk if so, they should take any amount of abuse. Try genfitt mayo, don't buy another 2 of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

It's funny I changed two tines yesterday. I welded one a few years ago. It didn't last one minute. But I am only a snotter when it comes to welding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can you take them back?

Not sure if you can weld that, but if you could you'd need a professional setup to get the amount of penetration required to make a job of it.

Try for a refund and get a better quality item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Are they new? looks like fatigue failure from picture. If you weld just around where it broke in a circle it wont last. You would have to slice off half the width from parts and put half a steel round bar into the gap (if that makes sense ) Only problem is you lose some of the threaded part then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are they fitted in a proper angled bush.

Never saw one break like that.

If fitted correctly, they tend to break anything but the spike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't weld it. Especially if it's on a loader implement.

It might end up killing someone.

Kverneland stuff usually high quality.

I don't think it could break like that if fitted in a proper sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

I'm beginning to think that maybe it's the bush might be worn out. The box is 80 mm and the bush is 100mm. I think it might be flared out at the back where the nut goes cos the nut often gets loose.

I broke 4 or 5 last year so I'd say it's something to do with the collet?/ bush

You could grind down the wide part just below the break so it protrudes a bit more out of the sleeve and weld it place at the back of the sleeve. You would only lose an inch or so in length going by where the nut is on the threaded part.

No it's not cast. Sometimes when things shear/break like that they leave a surface that looks like cast. They wouldn't even try to make something like a tine out of cast. Too brittle for that kind of force/load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

That's not a job to be done if you're not a welder and even at that you'd want to know your stuff.

Just for clarity, i do not recommend welding this, if you've broke 4 or 5 this year there is something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just buy a new one with a new bush and get bush welded in and it should be good for years.

I've seen them also where the box section is bit small and no supporting the bush enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The proper term for the bushing is "Tine Bush". There seems to be 2 types, straight SB1 and tapered TB1.

Dairygold Co-op SuperStores (coopsuperstores.ie)

I'd say it's a waste of time welding it.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

It probably cast steel.

More flexible and less brittle than it's cousin cast iron.

Never heard of cast steel, tines like that should be best quality carbon steel ground from round bar

Cast steel has taken over a lot of things that used to be cast iron.

The picture of the broken tine above, looking at the break it can look like cast iron but that's the natural grain structure of steel when it fatigues.

It can be hard to tell the diferrence between the two even if you know what to look for. Spark test with an angle grinder looking for short bursts of sparkles or fine powder when drilling it would give a better indication but still not 100%.

Loader Tines are Roll Forged, heat treated, hardened and tempered. The cone tapered end and thread are then machined. Tine material is Silicon manganese spring steel with a special alloy (37 S.6 So).

I know this cause ...............

SHW Loader Tines | Forged Parts for Agriculture Machinery | MalpasOnline

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll change the tine bushing s see how I get on

OP, I think I might knew what your problem is. I came across something before in an industrial application. Are you tightening the nuts enough? How did you tightening them?

If they are not up to the right torque, then the stresses fatigue more. This results in the fatigue failure you see.

Ya you could have a point there

Because the flange at the back is a bit worn I think the nut is loose a lot of the time.

New bushing I think thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Or they give you the high falutin specification for the genuine german one and charge you the price, and send you a replica cast from old brake discs in some slum industrial district in Pakistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Is this off a roller bale handler or some other type of spike?

Just an ordinary kverland spike

Advertisement