Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEAI Grants. Multiple contractors

Options
  • 27-01-2023 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Vey new to all this so these might be dummy questions.

I intended to examine my insulation and heating in my 1970s house this year. Both cavities and attic were done about 25 yeara ago but the house is still cold.

By co0incidence, i was cold called by a company in Dublin offering a free attic insulation survey and they mentioned the SEAI grant. I am in the West of Ireland. they say I will not be charged but they mentioned the SAEI grant so I assume they will be paid by the SAEI .SO I agreed.

But now I am wondering if I made a mistake to agree to this. If they are paid , by a grant from SAEI, does that limit me to getting all the work done by this company in the future. If I am not happy with their quote can I go elsewhere and still get the grant?

I have checked the SAEI website but they don't mention grants for survey only and it is not to clear if I can shop around or I need to stick to a single contractor. I also have concerns about using a company from so far away who cold called but perhaps that is normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Biker1

Run a mile from these guys. No way are they going to come from Dublin to do a job like that. Apply for the SEAI grant and get a local registered installer to do the works or if it's just a straight forward attic space do it yourself and forget about the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Both cavities and attic were done about 25 yeara ago but the house is still cold.

Slightly off topic but this might indicate that insulation isn't the issue at play and adding more might not do much.

An air tightness test / heat loss survey could be beneficial to do first before doing any works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭rock22

Thanks for the replies

I will employ a BER assessor first and get an assessment before doing any work.

Advertisement