Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring electricity used in secondary fusebox (Cunsumer Unit)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I think there's a Shelley energy monitor 10-10-20 would know more on that

Be careful with RCD placement, don't have a single RCD switching everything

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭tandcapply

Not sure how the one above will work (with clamps), I've loads of spare slots in the salve CU in the garden room which I want to monitor. so would have thought that RCBO of some sort wil lbe able to monitor all electricity used in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, there is a Shelly EM (energy monitor) which uses a clamp. It's an IOT device so intended to be added to an existing WiFi network and then link in with smart home management software (example: Home Assistant). It's possible to use it as a standalone device as it presents it's own WiFi network, but the function is very limited to real-time/instantaneous monitoring, there will be no history, cumulative energy (kWh) or graphs available in this mode.

If you don't have a smart home system with a way of recording data, then the EM isn't really suited.

Not being funny, but have you considered an Owl Meter?

It will do remote, cumulative and instantaneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭tandcapply

I'll look into the Owl, thanks.

I Have a few bits and pieces in terms of home automation but nothing centeralized.

Home assistant caused havoc with my Wizer heating control so staying clear of it. I know it's me obviously

Advertisement