Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with understanding VPN

• 27-01-2023 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Trying to get a little help here on VPN'g into my Fritz!Box 7530 from an Android phone.

I've opened 4 ports on my Fritz box (router) in an effort to control a home VIX zGemma7 box remotely from my phone. Everything works fine! I am able to play live and recorded programs from my zGemma remotely on my phone.

But somewhere along the way, I've heard that opening ports in my router is not a good idea. So I've set up VPN on my FritzBox router, and also setup VPN on my phone. The two are talking, the communication is good, and control of my zGemma box from my phone works fine.

So here's where my ignorance about VPN etc becomes obvious! If I close the 4 ports on the router, and with VPN connected, the access from my remote phone to the zGemma no longer works.

So what purpose does the VPN connection serve?

If I have to leave the router ports open, won't hackers be able to poke into my LAN and home devices?

I'd appreciate your help! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Have you changed the settings on the phone profile to connect to the zgemma box using the internal LAN address?T hat's how you'll need to connect to go via the VPN.

It's also possible that the VPN is giving you an address that isn't being accepted by the zgemma box. Perhaps your LAN is on 192.168.1.0/24 and the VPN is on 192.168.8.0/24 or whatever. If that's the case you might need to add that network to permitted clients. Since you're set up to connect directly to the public IP this is unlikely, but worth checking if the above doesn't sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

Thanks naiallb .... I'm using dream EPG Premium on my Android phone to access the feeds from the zgemma box. When I have VPN connected from my phone to the Fritz box, do you mean to set the dream EPG phone settings to the LAN IP -(192.168.x.x), and not to the WAN or Public static address? (I have it set to the WAN IP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Yes.

Change the settings to the LAN IP.

You're using the VPN to connect to your LAN and connect to the internal address on your zgemma.

If you're still connecting to the WAN IP, of course it won't work when you turn off port forwarding for the router ports. The router is where the connection to the WAN IP stops.

Advertisement