Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App controlled Electric Gate ??

• 27-01-2023 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Looking to get an electric gate installed. OK on getting FAAC as the mechanical piece, where I'm getting stuck is it IOT/smart/integration with my phone and the video/keypad on the pier.

Things still seem to be dated. Typically offer is a video directly back to a unit installed in the house and remote open and close using a sim card. Funny seems to be an industry problem . Same when I went looking at alarms the usual big brand hadn't moved on in 20yrs - so I went the Ajax route and everything app controlled on my phone.

Has anyone come across a phone app integrated video/keypad for a gate ? Ideally I want to utilize the cat cable running from house to pier and avoid having to keep a operate a separate sim.

Post edited by Stoner on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you come across a solution please share - my electric gate has a keypad and SIM, but I'd love to be able to do something a bit "smarter" with it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This can be achieved with a smart switch shuch as a Sonoff like this:

I have used these many times, they are cheap and very reliable. The app is free to download and has no running costs. Multiple phones can then control the switch (hence the gates).

The good people on the Home Automation and IoT forum can provide plenty of information on these and similar units as well as lots of other smart gadgets for the home:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/home-automation-internet-of-things-iot?utm_source=sidebar_categories

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Thanks 2011 .

Mod : rather than duplicating are you able to move this thread over to the IOT forum ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

This Shelly has ethernet, might be a better choice if you have ethernet cable running out already.

Then add an ethernet video doorbell?

The only issues then are 2 apps no keypad.

Home Assistant or similar home automation controller could combine them into a single app and even add the keypad. It's a bit more involved install wise but you could achieve exactly what you want, worth researching what devices play well with the home controller you choose though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ethernet and Wifi is not required at the gate. Generally a Sonoff can be installed in the house within Wifi range as a button to open the gate is normally wired to the house along with the intercom. All that the Sonoff has to do is open / close a dry contact on this cable.

This does not preclude a keypad from being installed at the gate (handy if the internet fails).

But, yes you are correct a Shelly could be used. I have no experience with Shelly but I hear good things.

I also agree with your point about Home Assistant / Google Home / Alexa.

• Advertisement

Mod note: Thread moved to Home Automation & Internet of Things (IOT) as per OP's request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

True but, power/ ethernet are at the gate, the wired ethernet switch can also be used in the house in the same manner and save on the number of wifi devices needed, wired is always better especially when the infrastructure is already there. Anyway they'd like an internet connected video intercom also and ethernet would probably be best for that, granted not the only option either.

I came across this, might be worth a look, bit of a weird video but the hardware looks the part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbkCuT4qHbA&t=139s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hi OP,

I installed this. https://pro.comelitgroup.com/en-ie/product/6741w

Added it to my Google Account and now when someone rings it lets me know, so I just say to Google "Hey Google, Turn on the Front Gate" and the gate opens.

It also has facial recognition but I havent bothered setting that up. I get calls from the Post Man with a big box on the app on my phone so I can open the gate remotely there too if I need to. its been very handy.

The kit comes with an outstation camera and bell so its a fully functioning non smart intercom too.

Hi,

thanks for all the responses much appreciated.

I should be clearer on my cat cable to the pier. It goes from the pier into the house but that's it. It's not part of my home network or even near a plug to utilize a powerline. It wired (unfortunately) old school which is the traditional keypad/video on pier and then just cat wired back directly into the kitchen wall, to utilize a dedicated phone/screen unit in the house.

So I was hoping either to cover gate access (physical keypad & app) and pier video (monitor in house and app) either through wifi from house reaching the pier. Alternatively use the cat cable (pier to house) and the house side has some unit (inc video) that can connect to the house wifi.

Hi Tefral,

That's does look like something I'm after. Getting the indoor unit to utilize the indoor wifi is what I was hoping for and gets the setup then into the smart/IOt world.

Two questions.

• this is the unit installed in the house. what unit did you put on outside (pier/door)
    • for the indoor unit it uses two wire (live and neutral ) , are you actually taking the power from the gate rather than power directly form the inside the house.

I see two combo units

• Advertisement

Hey sorry I only noticed this.

To answer your questions:

1. The outside unit comes with the inside unit, its a kit. All you need do is get a seperate keypad if you wanted and wire to the same circuit.
    2. I borrowed the power from the gate. So i picked 2 free cores and back powered it to the house. Its only 24v or 33v so on a 50m run of cable I didnt have an issue with voltage drop.

Thanks Tefral,

Followed up on your original post bit of googling etc and I've ended up about to plump with the KVU8190W

Exactly what I want, uses the house internet through WiFi rather than trying to get connectivity to the pier. Overall then it get me into IOT, apps, phone answerable etc.

When you think about it, you really need to be able to answer your intercom when you are NOT around !!

thanks for getting back to me.

correct, the unit i have that i originally linked to uses the house wifi. It uses a pair to communicate with the camera/intercom at the gate for video.

Let me know if its worth the bother setting up the facial recognition.

It is very handy when DPD or one of those rings the intercom and it comes up on your phone to answer or not. Download the Comlit app and you can see how it works.

One last one for you. The app reviews are really terrible. App Stability, features , speed to notify etc. It seems to cover other devices so I'm hoping this unit is on the higher end in terms of reliability.

It's a common challenge for these buzzer, door bell type device that they provide the notification quickly enough for instance

how are you finding it ?

Yeah the app is sh1t to be honest, the unit itself is very smart in terms of looks and design. Very happy with it and the outstation in the physical world. It is instantaneous to take direction from Google too. Literally no delay from me saying "turn on the front gate" to it beginning to open.

The app: I've been playing around with the settings on my phone for Notifications (Android) I think I have it good now. Anytime someone rings it lets me know anyway. Which is all I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

A year or so back i brought a came ATS gate kit, and installed it myself. (about 4 times less then getting someone to install it)

Like yourself i had power that ran down to the gate and a ethernet cable, but where the ethernet cable ends up i have no clue, so getting an ethernet connection down to the gate was going to be a problem.

I installed the ATS kit without any issues, biggest issue was making a trench from one pier to the other, if you do this run extra cable just incase, plus keep the power away from the signal cable again just incase.

I have a wireless keyboard outside but no video, but what i was able to do was use the came ethernet gateway (extra bit of kit) which i was then able to setup the app to open and shut the gate from my phone, bit of a pain to setup, but once its been up had no problems with it at all.

Now i know they do video intercoms but my gate would be a good distance from the house, so the signal down there would be bad, if there was any wifi signal down there at all, but the gateway ethernet opener kit works fine. This also works with alexa and i guess google but never setup these up.

Would love a video connection also like yourself, was toying with the idea of using a video doorbell and using ethernet powerline adaptors, but never got round to it, but maybe need to look at some of the newer kit that came have come out for video intercoms, maybe using the ethernet gateway kit.

Well that's it really. Sound so like outdoor to indoor unit it solid. The app itself is flakey but answers quickly which, as you say, is all I want really too.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this thread. Worth doing some digging as things had to have moved beyond a sim into the App/IOT world. Have to get prices now but will pop for the Comelit KVU8190W if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

My sparks did the same and I'm getting something like this, https://www.amazon.com/Newgoal-Inching-Selflocking-Momentary-SmartLife/dp/B09P1C4SNT/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3LY6MYZ19141V&keywords=rf+wifi+switch&qid=1680003896&sprefix=rf+wifi+switch%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-6

It will fit in same opening that is left for intercom and can be powered from the gate motor. It will connect to house wifi and if the tiny aerial coiled up wire is joined to a spare cat5 cable that key remote should work a long way away. The app can be put on any phone and permission can be shared to any other app via email address. It is a timer, it has inching, it has sunset sunrise that you can manipulate by choosing different time zones and you can operate from anywhere in the world.

Advertisement