Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

Bunch of incompetent clowns! If they are going to have people in hotels at least pay on time instead of incurring late fees and having to pay interest! That is just throwing money away.

Absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

This is absolutely insane. Ludicrous and he should be removed from his position immediately.

Between this BS and the group of degenerates on Mount Street with f***k irlanda and protesting to abolish the Dublin regulation III and that the IPO is racist,goes to show they have no regard for democracy and are leeches pure and simple. Welfare state and handouts.

I fear for my childrens futures and my retirement in 20 years time.

This judge is a disgrace.

We need a massive reform of immigration policy which removes us from the EU stipulations AND which cannot be challenged in court.

And forget about taking in Sudanese. That really will be the straw that breaks the cameld back.

The less developed world needs to get their own **** together and stop leeching off the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

And the usual suspects would be going nuts if we wanted to arm up to defend ourselves and our families.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

The first thing on rte 6 o clock news yesterday. The sudanese ambassador was interviewed in the studio too.

Where's Helen 'we won't be found wanting' mcentee and Roderick 'no limits ' O'Gorman. Maybe we'll get a solemn declaration of unity at the weekend and get the good news numbers wise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

There are thousands of people who offered rooms for Ukrainians who haven't had their offer taken up, so I'm sure they'll all be willing to take Sudanese refugees instead. Have the Sudanese flags appeared on Facebook yet?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hamachi threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Matt Cooper had a couple of guests on to discuss this (both pro immigration of course)

Summary, there’s no way this will be a pull factor,no chance people will come to a country that has a legal obligation to house them or face paying compensation

Also most of the accommodation being provided is of an emergency type, we need to be building more permanent housing for refugees. Also that the standard of accommodation being provided is not of a high enough standard.

I give up, we’re fcuked, May as well start shipping in the Sudanese now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

One a year? According to the article posted earlier, there are six live legal cases where asylum seekers are suing the state, but potentially up to 87 cases in the pre-litigation phase.

The Irish government negotiated this clause to get the referendum passed in case it was rejected like Nice. Unfortunately we are reliant on our government exercising that opt out.

Instead they ignored it and just go on about our international obligations. Bottom line is we were lied to. Denmark had no problem shutting the door without any consequences but their government obviously feel their priority is their own population, not looking after the poor of the world.

Hate to say it but at this stage I think I’d welcome a large influx of refugees just to bring this to a head and get government to admit we only have so many resources. I’ve posters online saying we should be using our large budget surplus to build more migrant housing without realising we will never be able to build enough.

To use that quote from Fields of Dreams, “If you build it they will come “

• Advertisement

The legal system cleaning up with all these chancers.

Georgian "asylum" seeker? Asylum from what, exactly.

I am encouraging my 2 well educated kids to emigrate. This country is going down the toilet.

My Sister and I are looking to get out too. Shame since our parents are buried here, but the Country is going down a dark path and there is no will to stop it.

Post edited by Kyokushin Grappler on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But very small numbers nonetheless. The reason these cases are drawing attention is that are often pursued under international law, which frequently wouldn't apply to Irish citizens. But the explanation for this is that most Irish people have full rights and freedoms and have no need to establish these freedoms through the courts in the way some asylum seekers would.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Captaingoal

@[Deleted User] Where are you encouraging your kids to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

**** it, I'm learning Danish! What the hell am I working for, the courts have just sent out the message that this country is open for every chancer, whoever or wherever they're from, to be housed and hosed at the expense of the taxpayers.

Infuriating, nothing less than an insult to common sense and those previous generations who went through actual genocide to make this country the success it is.

Post edited by Montage of Feck on

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

I understand people wanting to throw in the towel. The anti-racism protests in Dublin were said to have garnered 50 thousand people.

That is very sobering (even if the number was exaggerated) because demonstrations in east wall and elsewhere get a fraction of that.

It either means

A. Irish people really do want almost unlimited migration (which I don't believe)

Or

B. There are very powerful and rich forces shaping policy.

Whatever option is true it basically means it all but over for Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2023/02/18/thousands-protest-against-hatred-and-disinformation-at-anti-racism-march-in-dublin/

There’s a March in support of Sudan currently on in Dublin, I assume the next step is offering accommodation even though the fighting is only in limited areas

I would imagine tge absolute state of the east wall protest combined with all the participants repeating the same lines they learned off some gobshite, inspired decent people to go out and and least show we’re not all gobshites , it wasn’t an endorsement for open immigration

Oh Goody. The Govt and their paid NGO minions are protesting US again.

Post edited by Kyokushin Grappler on

Irish people have rights to be supplied with free accommodation like that Syrian woman? Great, never knew that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

People are somewhat missing the point that refugees actually have very limited rights whilst they are in Ireland. They are not Irish or EU citizens (they are effectively now stateless) and have numerous restrictions placed on them. If they are asylum seekers, they must live in direct provision or state accommodation, cannot leave the country, cannot claim social welfare, often are not allowed to work etc.

It's not entirely a surprise that the occasional asylum seeker has to go to the courts to try and establish a specific right. Irish and EU citizens have nowhere near these levels of restrictions placed on them and don't need to go to court to establish anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

That wasn't solely an anti racism protest, also I very much doubt that number.

I walked past it at the end.

So basically you’re saying everyone who arrives in Ireland and claims asylum must be housed despite the housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think this is completely over dramatic. And I don't believe you will leave because of "dark paths".

We haven't even begun to see mass migrations yet. The scale we are seeing now will pale into insignificance over the next two decades. Forced migration due to climate change will get worse and worse and the West needs to decide how to handle it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

On the topic of climate change

If that's the case should we be telling people to avoid Ireland?

No, Ireland and a lot of Northern Europe are best placed to cope with climate change. Our geographic location will mean we are less impacted by climate change. I saw a list of best placed countries recently and it contained the likes of Canada, NZ, Scandanavia etc. Ireland was in top 5. Africa and parts of Southern Europe will become very difficult places to live. Spain recorded 39C yesterday I heard. There will be an exodus from Africa (especially populous central African countries like Congo, Nigeria, Kenya) and the Middle East.

The longterm question is - do we want to be a life raft or a fortress?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair points.

But if we are to believe scientists a third to 40% of Ireland will be underwater by 2070. Even predictions for 2050 look bleak

Plus don't forget Europe has actually been worse effected continent so far with surge in temperatures.

Mass migration caused by climate change is a farce. If any of it was real we wouldn't be able to get anything done because nobody would invest in us [remember we should be underwater since 2014].

Western Governments need to realise that we can't solve the World's problems by letting them all come here and live off our Govt tits. And we shouldn't solve the World's problems either. If certain Countries [or Continents] don't want to evolve and adapt then that's their look out.

I did include Southern Europe and specifically Spain. Water will be a major problem around the Med.

I doubt we will see the sea levels rise by that much by 2070 but who knows. We sure as hell have no intention of reversing global warming.

• Advertisement

Nobody said we would be under water by 2014. That's ludicrous. At most there were predictions of 0.5m by 2030. Forced migrations due to climate change will happen. It's inevitable. The rains are already failing more and more in Central Africa and many other countries.

The levels of migration will be staggering. Unstoppable. Climate change is already displacing more people than conflict or economic factors.

Advertisement