Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 joggerjogger

So sieve them back out of the Med and back to Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

"The government" is made up of individuals. A great number of whom are very much obsessed with ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Only too well. Served my own time for it on here

Proud man, bless we can conquer The Sickness in time I believe but first we must rectify the discourse in all avenues of power and influence so as the young impressionable folk of this island shan’t fall foul. And Taoiseach Viredkar calls for respect monarchists, I call for similar for nationalists of this modest fair isle.

Toicfaidh ar La and:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Helen McEntee is no ideologue like o Gorman etc , she’s just an NGO glove puppet who sees career advancement opportunity by going full bore WOKE

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

You could be right, I just feel she is so hysterically woke that she is a true believer rather than just in it for career advancement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

Wrong discussion …

T 32

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You have all the answers jogger.

I actually think there is a significant risk of EU breakup as countries opt to go it alone rather than accept EU policies and quotas.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The word is out, Ireland is a soft touch. Many of them expect to be housed immediately and most from countries not at war. The whole IP system is being gamed to bypass immigration controls. Ireland can’t fix the world’s problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It's always amazing that the people who cry about "where's my country" always seem to find the facets of societal change that relate to foreigners coming here.

From what I can see, the major societal changes Ireland has seen from the late 1980s onwards have revolved around economic development, Church decline and technological development. The internet, social media, smartphones Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, social liberalism, heads being turned away from the pulpit, urbanisation — these are things which have had the most profound and lasting impacts on Irish culture and all of them far beyond the impact of migration. A historic failure by government over the last 25 years to address the fact that the growing availability of careers in Dublin meant rapid urbanisation and the need to modernise the way housing policy works in Ireland is the absolute number one reason why that problem has been exposed badly now.

Yet for whatever reason, the long running threads about Ireland's apparent decline always seem to centre around migrants and refugees. They are the problem. They cause the problems. Everything is made worse by them. The country is changing because of migrants. They are chancers, layabouts, sex offenders, foaming at the mouth to entrench us in Shariah Law, dragging the State into the gutter, they make the weather worse blah blah blah.

All the other things, more plain and obvious in their influence as to how this country's ways and fortunes have transpired for better and for worse, are disregarded because hey, why bother to think when it's easier to just pin it all on something something migrants something something conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

A computer science engineer from Afghanistan with a degree and a masters, in this climate could probably have his pick of job opportunities in any country with his skillset if done legally, But I highly doubt any of that's true. He'd rather chance Ireland and sleep in a tent. Makes no sense.

A Moroccan where people holiday everyday of the year using the same same old shite excuse of I'll be killed (Why will you be killed? Sounds Dodgy)

A Brazilian who was living in Portugal. OK Then.

A Ukrainian who wasn't living in Ukraine, Where were you living then? and why up sticks and move?

Country is a joke.

If the media are going to try the sob story angle at least get some genuine cases to Interview.

Post edited by 0ph0rce0 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Government now considering paying Ukrainians here to move back by paying them the dole back home. Might as well put on direct flights at this stage.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41131885.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going by news this morning about Gulf Stream it looks like we be ones leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There’s a big difference between someone with a visa and a job and someone with no skills, English or will to integrate dumping their documents at the airport after flying half way around the world from a country not at war to live off the welfare state at the expense of the Irish tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

The whole thing is a cod.

If we really wanted to help refugees we'd take women and children directly from warzones.

Right now it's whoever can make it to the extreme edge of western Europe with a good story gets the "protection".

In almost all cases they don't need protection from nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The only guy in this clip who seems to have a plan to pay his own way is the Ukrainian.

The computer engineer from Afghanistan seems offended he's expected to sleep rough. We have plenty of well qualified people here already, mate.

The Morrocan with the oregnant wife. First I heard that Morrocco was a war zone. Anyway the kid will be their meal ticket. Which was likely the plan.

It will be like that movie where RAF helicopters froze mid air over Scotland and crashed.

At least we might get decent snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

You probably never heard that Morocco is at war because it's not.

It's a nice destination frequented by many foreign tourists.

I checked the "travel advice" on the department of foreign affairs and again no warnings not to go there.

They simply don't qualify to immigrate legally so they go with the asylum route. That is not what the system was designed for.

It's simply abusive of the system.

• Advertisement

International protection is not about people fleeing war. I believe its for people who fear persecution for a myriad of reasons (religion, politics, race etc). I am sure it is being abused but your war criteria is misguided. They can come from anywhere to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A few things:

First off the bat, your country does not have to be at war for an individual to be accepted for asylum. You'd think 150 pages into the thread that would be clear, obvious and accepted.

Morocco is a tourist destination, but it's definately not a place one should stray too far from touristed areas. Parts of Tangier, Casablanca and Marrakech I've wandered into are some of the dodgiest places I've been - and I'm pretty well travelled.

The risk of terrorism in the country is quite high; there is a military occupation in the South; there are minority groups in the country that are most definately persecuted; it's pretty much an absolutist monarchy - and political repression as well as arbitrary detention and torture are commonplace; and I don't really need to explain that it's not a place one is safe being homosexual.

There are many concievable reasons why an individual may be accepted for asylum in Ireland or elsewhere. This post might not sit well with you, but we don't, and with our international obligations that we've codified into law, shouldn't, outright refuse an individuals application out of hand because they're from a country "not at war".

Yeah but I keep hearing people say that on this thread — over and over over again — as if they think it's some revelation that quiet moderates need to be educated about. Unfortunately, it isn't news to anyone really that the system is liable to be abused and is abused. But abuse of the system does not invalidate the good or the justification for the system itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

No one’s blaming everything on immigrants. We’re pointing out the issues and challenges of mass migration and especially illegal migration. Unfortunately these days if you point of the blindingly obvious you get called a bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

A dicky tummy is grounds for asylum 🤣🌭🤡 come one; come all step rrrright up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

How can you say "Rubbish" when his point is factually correct? The fact is International Protection does not require a war in the home country. You may not like that but to say it is rubbish at the start of your post is very poor debating style. It makes you look ignorant when we all need to learn. If you don't like the current IP process, that's fine, but at least try to understand the process you don't like before you "campaign" on Boards to change it.

How many more pages will we have of "but but but there is no war there!". It's infantile.

You completely missed the context and the point to save face. Ok.

I didn't know I was in a pro immigration brigade. Ye love your labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 joggerjogger

It was a response to the original sieve commentary

More eloquently you could say having a weak border is not justification for chaos and human trafficking

Switzerland has an open border but it is exceptionally difficult to attain residency there

The answer is to tow the boats back to their departure point, disembark the passengers confiscate the life jackets and tow the empty boats back out and sink them

• Advertisement

I don't think that the argument being made is as nuanced as you're making it out to be. The post I was responding to was far more melodramatic in its descriptions than simple sincere points about migration presenting some issues and downsides — it was the whole "where is our country" cultural apocalypse nonsense.

Even at that, this idea that you can't question migration without being called a bigot is nothing more than a whinge. Here, I can literally say it right now, I think migration should be subject to controls and limitations. There, I said it, as a Leftie. Any second now I guess I should be at the bottom of a pile on by the Cancel Mob calling me a bigot, right? Well, so far, I'm only hearing crickets.

Advertisement