Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm 100% certain an angry mob should not be dismantling camps, yes. It's hardly a far out crazy point of view to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just from talking to people during my work today...

ppl can completely understand why the locals don’t want a makeshift campsite outside their doors - full of unvetted men of unknown origins.

most ppl support the locals and say good on them

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

The scene of the 'camp' is behind social housing that looks abandoned and close to more that look decidedly grim. The immediate vicinity is more bricked up buildings in decay. It looks like a slum. Not too many places like that in Dalkey.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Imagine opening your front door and some oddball who won’t say: where he is from or why he is in Ireland

has set up a campsite in your front garden....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

If only the people out protesting against the shanty towns put as much effort into getting a job and getting off social housing.

• Advertisement

There are abandoned buildings all over dublin and Ireland I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

“supper time virtue competitions”. I love it. I’ll steal that if you don’t mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Dismantling the camp was Enoch Burke level of strategy for solving a problem. It is pretty hard racism for the government to intentionally take in refugees and force them to live on the streets.

Well, once they jobs, they will then have a bit more freedom in where they live. But we know the first part of that sentence is never going to happen. Unless we consider drug dealing a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

If only the people protesting the people protesting the shanty town would redirect the homeless gentlemen to a pleasant green area near to themselves where they could throw a protective eye over them and demand that their local TD/councillor provide temporary toilets showers bins etc. until such a time as derelict buildings near them can be converted for use, far from the inner city savages who would do them wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭cal naughton

Herbert Park is lovely this time of the year. Loads of space to pitch a tent. Also load's of embassies near by for the all important consular assistance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

so the country is 50% short having enough GPs for the current population….and GPs overworking as it is….

but…’no limits’

a fûcking crazy as shît time to be alive, nutsville…. Absolute complete derogation of responsibility and loyalty on behalf of our elected and publicly funded politicians… country is being run by absolute tyrannical woke despotic chancers.

this is only the beginning, tip of the iceberg.

It's Dublin 2. It's not their area the very centre of our city and as much yours or mine as it is theirs. I don't claim to own D5 or choose who lives here either.

Plenty of wealthy people living in D2 also. Some really swanky apartments very close to where the migrants camped.

Living in the city centre is a privilege and it's never going to be like a suburb anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I think we need to decide what is and is not a "refugee". In Irish political discourse, the terms "asylum seeker" and "refugee" are often used interchangeably, sometimes in a disingenuous way.

I agree with the opening-post completely on our duty to help the Ukrainian refugees. Every night they go to bed in Ukraine not knowing if they will wake up or killed by Russian missiles. For me, a "refugee" is someone seeking refuge ie safety, from a well founded threat to their lives from war, natural disaster or persecution.

I fail to see what persecution someone from Albania could be facing. Albania is a candidate country to join the EU. I saw a report from Albania in the media recently and its clear this is economic migration.

I also want to address those who say economic migration should be allowed, because the Irish engaged in it on a massive scale to America, Britain, Australia and New Zealand. My response is yes but that should be by legal channels, and that there is a clear lack of available housing for the existing refugees and asylum seekers.

There are worrying signs of social tension recently, such as the protests and the attacks on tents yesterday. We need to learn lessons from other EU countries on how to balance our international obligations with the equal obligation to house those already here and maintain societal cohesion. There is a risk that the Far Right will exploit this situation.

People before Profit TD Paul Murphy recently asked a Dail question on the relative wealth of regions in Ireland accepting asylum seeker accommodation. As reported on RTE Radio 1 some months ago, the better off parts of the country aren't taking as much per capita. I think that's a source of resentment. In particular Jury's Hotel has been pointed out as a potential site but nothing has been done about it. I think the better off should contribute to tackling the accommodation crisis both for refugees/asylum seekers and for the legally-resident population.

Also, something needs to be done about reforming the asylum appeals system, and increased resources should be directed at ensuring that deportation orders are actually enforced - because they seldom are. To this end I propose US-style "immigration courts" with non-reviewable powers to decide on asylum cases. We need to separate the asylum cases from the broader courts system in order that decisions are not slowed down by extraneous matters.

I think the EU should admit Albania to the EU so as to remove the incentive for their nationals to claim asylum. Albania is a safe-country. I am also sceptical of why so many Georgians are applying for asylum. Granted, 20% of the country is occupied by Russian troops, but there is no fighting outside of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Post edited by Ozymandius2011 on

The problem is no one else in the city centre is happy with the stealing class living there. Imagine all those flats were knocked down and apartments for people who actual have jobs were build? They'd be worth a fortune and the area massively benefit.

The city centre is a haven for violence and thieving scum, and it ain't from the asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭nachouser

The place was set on fire, lads. Ffs like.

Why? so they could pay lawyers to do the same thing if the problem popped up in their area?

Because property is far more expensive maybe? Do you think people who are eligible for social welfare should be given places in dalkey and rathgar etc too or just fugees? In saying that I briefly went out with a girl who had a flat from social welfare in Dalkey

I couldn't care less about the shanty towns. But they will never cause as much of a problem to Irish society as the jobless wonders have in Dublin's South inner city. The government should focus on cleaning on those areas ans that would have a far great benefit to everyone.

• Advertisement

Why? Mainly so they'd stop robbing other people to pay for their moncler jackets.

Absolutely, because giving free houses to the moncler brigade in wealthy areas is exactly what they deserve for racking up 100+ convictions. Maybe the government should set up a system where if you get 200 convictions you get a penthouse in Dalkey? Brilliant idea. 😂

Well this whole thing is just you wanting to stick it to the libs by sticking refugees in their area. Where I live is mostly council housing with plenty of foreign families in said housing. I personally wouldn't care if there was a DP centre here or some temporarily homeless people in the area so it wouldn't bother me anyway. Its not foreign people around here that you need to worry about believe me.

You're really mistaken if you believe all the people there yesterday in support of the refugees are filthy rich or living in swanky areas.

Have you proof anyone protesting the illegal occupation does that?

That's a very good point. Why have the government allowed these scum turn areas like Dublin south inner city into no go areas? Its the revolving door that the moncler brigade are constantly allowed walk-through when it comes to 100+ convictions. The only the sense of "community" that has developed there is a community of crime and criminals. It needs to be dismantled.

Says a lot about the warped mentality that the solution to no-go areas and hostility is to focus on removing the people being attacked rather then the attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

I was at the GP one day. My GP is truly excellent at his job and is a very compassionate and caring person. I was called in to see about 1 and 15 minutes after my allocated time. This should have been his now lunch break. There were another 12 people patients waiting outside to be seen after me! New locals lets say.

I rushed through my apt and mentioned how overworked my GP is and he said too much so now.

I can see him being burnt out very soon.

You can only imagine the stress the system is under and how much worse it's going to get. Shooting the population up with no limits!

My sister is a Paed nurse and has been saying for years that the HSE will collapse any second, to the point she only does private work now and says it's too dangerously busy to work in now.

And none of the well off people I know in East Wall/North Strand area had any problems with or were out protesting against the DP centre there. Again it's only local violent people you have to worry about in these areas if the news is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well, I hear ya but any GP / surgery can refuse to take more patients. Mine has or had although I wonder is that still the case.

Our government can’t force their hand. Any doctor now can say ‘full up’.

so even though your GP may be an excellent in person medical practitioner, Id be respectfully asking in writing why he and the practice is accepting new patients to the extent that you are waiting over an hour after your scheduled appointment time…. I’d be enquiring because it’s 1 hour and 15 minutes now…. In two years ? You might need a day off work. The numbers arriving are likely to increase post war…. Soldiers coming to be with families subsequently expanding families, the pressure is already on from African states that we accept more of their citizens…So…. As I said previously…it’s going to come incredibly more difficult over the coming years for any Irish born citizen to attain with efficiency and reliability the required services like healthcare that we have been accustomed to, that we understood were a given, a right… that for anyone born in their / our country simply should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

To be perfectly plain, in wealthier areas such as Ballsbridge, Ranelagh or Dalkley, every square meter of land is in-use for something and there is close to zero dereliction or vacancy to be found there with all buildings put to use. I'd defy you to find a building not in use in the above areas, bar the old Jury's hotel which is to be the new US Embassy.

In less salubrious areas you find things like abandoned offices such as the building that became the flashpoint in East Wall for the last round of smooth brain intimidation from "concerned locals" from far and wide.

Advertisement