Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not my claim, not my words, I own what I said, not what you are claiming I said.

Are travelers given the same rights, access, without any barriers to entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Good debate on upfront on rte1 at the moment. We can’t put a cap on refugees, but they are discussing the difference between economic migrants and refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why do they just keep quoting Ukrainians in every answer.

Its not about the Ukrainians, it’s about the scammers from Albans Georgia.

They hide and squirm behind Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Openly stated on RTE that many of those seeking asylum aren't asylum seekers and they are economic migrants.

This was considered racist a while ago. It's now become normalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And when McDowell put it to all the panel, SF, FG they just stayed silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Firstly these people are unfortunately pawns.

Close the doors, sort out our own problems. Stop dumping these poor unfortunates into office blocks with a mattress. Shuffling them around in buses and forcing them on communities that either don’t want them or can’t support them.

The government need to be transparent, ‘under the cover of darkness’ plays into the hands of racist.

Let’s see some refugees in FoxRock, Ballsbridge etc…..

Refugee programs are harmful, no country is where it is now without hardship. Internationally all countries fail, the fact that refugees exist is the problem not the lack of space to accept refugees.

EU accepts refugees from country X, EU continues to trade with country X. Where the logic? (other than greed).

Because a sound policy should consider it all?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

Isn't that what happens though, anyone with a bit of get up and go leaves and claims asylum in the west so things never improve in their home countries. So many people who've been catalysts for change in their home countries would easily have been granted asylum. Just look at Zelenski versus Ghani.

I get from a micro perspective how every life is important but from a macro perspective the asylum system wrecks other countries. Going to the west and seeking asylum or being an undocumented worker becomes the brass ring in life rather than achievement in your own country. I remember at the time of the people dying in the back of the truck in the UK, they had come from Vietnam and their families had paid £30k a pop for their passage, that is more than enough to pay for and support a child through University to get a job that the UK will grant you a Visa to come and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

If the Irish State tells you to leave but doesn't make you leave and keeps providing you with food, shelter and an allowance, you'd be a fool to leave and not just brazen it out. Most are still in Ireland just because they had a brass neck and refused to go in spite of their claims being bogus and then we even do an amnesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It would be good if the government published a rejection rate for refugees so it could be compared to other nations.

Secondly what proportion of those rejected are actually deported

My general opinion is that our immigration service is pretty useless.

I know one illegal who has been here five years and who over stayed a visa.

She and her sponsor were easily traceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I am going to assume that Vienna does something about antisocial behavior in these desirable social housing developments? I haven't found anything about it online so I am not sure, but there would need to be something different to the hands off approach here if they are to remain desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'They also went legally and just overstayed their visa'

So they went legally and said fcuk it, let's stay illegally? Sher twill be grand. Not fleeing from joblessness, war or poverty, not even economic migrants basically still no sympathy. Just going because great uncle Joe went to Amerikay back in the day and feel entitled to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I am not sure why this is always brought up, it is entirely up to the US to decide what they want to do with people who overstay. For most Irish people it makes no difference what they do either.

interesting article in IT thus morning. Balanced for a change but makes the point Ireland has been over generous to both refugees and asylum seekers

Cruise ship is a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Diversity isn’t something holy to everyone even it’s a key article of faith for progressives

if Japan chooses not to adopt the approach of Western Europe, that is no less a legitimate plan than what Ireland ( or the Irish government) has elected to do

the biggest sin of progressives is that of arrogance, they believe their view to be unshakably correct and sound

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Government go on about a moral obligation to bring in all these asylum seekers.

Where is the moral obligation to its own citizens?

And where was the moral obligation during covid when we gave 2nd vaccines to young, healthy people while poor countries had no vaccines at all? Oh no, there was no moral obligation to help the world then because they knew the majority of people would kick up a fuss whereas now the majority of people are homeowners and don't care about the flooding of asylum seekers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And rightly so that it's becoming normalised. It is the stark reality of our open border and open unverified unopposed asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

It's some country so it is.

120 objections can prevent a housing development but we literally have no way of stopping unlimited numbers of asylum seekers coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's no change with them, there's no new found balance since the last lying piece of rubbish they put out at the weekend.

Job 1 is still cover the governments ass, who've not rethought their self given mandate but who are just trying to dodge criticism for the all too visible failures in pursuing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yeah, look at the likes of this

They are happy to frame all of this as something that will lead to a murder committed by natives, yet many natives have already been murdered because of these polices, yet there's not a hope in hell that they would highlight anything like that. Irish "journalists" are honestly one of the slimmest groups in the nation.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Refugees are, by definition, not rejected, they have been awarded refugee status.

I think you mean what is the acceptance/rejection rate for asylum-seekers (AS)?

The Examiner reports this for 2018:

The Irish authorities had the lowest rate of refusal to applications from asylum seekers of any of the EU’s 28 member states last year.

Only 15% of first-time decisions on asylum applications in Ireland were rejected, compared to an EU average of 63%.

A total of 1,275 asylum seekers in the Republic were granted protection last year, of which 815 were awarded refugee status.

A further 215 were given subsidiary protection which recognises they faced a considerable risk if returned to their former country of habitual residence, while another 235 were granted permission to stay in Ireland on humanitarian grounds.

In addition, 340 individuals were granted refugee status under a resettlement programme. The overwhelming majority were Syrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭trashcan

Asylum Seeker is just a term to denote anyone who has made a claim for asylum. Therefore everyone who has applied is, by definition, an asylum seeker. Whether their claim is genuine is of course another matter. It bothers me slightly that people don’t seem to recognise the difference between an asylum seeker and a refugee. They are not the same thing. A refugee is someone who has been accepted as having a genuine need for protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭trashcan

They can’t even get the basic maths right in that article. 815 Awarded Refugee status plus 215 awarded Subsidiary Protection is a total of 1030 awarded protection. The remaining 235 ( which comes to 1265, not 1275) would have been given leave to remain, which means their asylum claim was rejected. You may say, so what, they got to stay, but it’s still shoddy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

yet many natives have already been murdered because of these polices

What policy murdered a native?

How do you define a native?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, definitions and language are important.

I am for accepting genuine refugees, above and beyond the IRRP programme.

I suggest a limit of 1% of pop.

I am against AS, and I suggest a zero AS policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The idea of a "limit" sounds great in theory, but it runs counter to all international refugee law. You cannot say 'we will accept a certain quota of asylum seekers, but then we will have a cut off point and accept no more'. International refugee law states that you cannot refuse to accept any asylum seeker who arrives at your border seeking shelter and deport them back out of the country.

The situation with Ukrainian people is different of course in that they are not legally classed as 'asylum seekers', so it's not entirely clear if a limit could be applied in their case.

Advertisement