Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't think it can all be put down to individual failings.

We're seeing now working homeless which we didn't have before. And an awful lot of working 'hidden' homeless, people stuck with parents/friends because they can't afford to rent or buy.

That's down to policy, not individual failing.

And it's got zero to do with refugees. That hotel in Clare was never going to be opened for 'our own' either way.

Build homes not hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Hand on heart, I just cannot understand this situation.

It's like going into a bank to hear that you've magically been given millions, but then being told that you're poorer than ever before. What?

I heard varadkar mention something like we have a deficit of 250'000 homes, yet then at the same time theres more and more people arriving. How does that square???

Where's all this money they keep boasting about?

It's not helping society, that's as clear as a bell. It's not helping housing, it's not helping the hse, it's not helping schools, it's not helping dwindling resources like childcare and special needs.

So what is it helping??

We have an economy fueled by cheap migration and phantom multinationals, that produces money that's never to be seen, as everything goes down the toilet.

What am I missing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Housing and financing possibly hundreds of thousands of people arriving with not a pot to piss in means we are already in massive trouble …roughly 95,000-100,000 have arrived from the Ukraine for ‘temporary’ ^cough^ protection…

our population was growing before this… so a slowing down isn’t likely unless we keep spending foolhardily on everyone wanting to come here. Without the scope to limit it to non EU citizens.

refugees because of the Ukrainian publicity and levels of help, see first hand that there is a new life available with almost every facet of help, protection, financing safety and a future being laid on, free gratis.

so we are on the radar for African, Asian and anyone who fancies improving their lot. Problems maybe, but genuine refugees many are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,111 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has any TD or junior TD commented on behalf of the people protesting or all on the side of bringing everyone here

I see Aisling Murphy's case has been postponed, coincidence the timing giving the culprit

Surely Interpol would come take away their high priority serial killer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Social Democrats TD Roisin Shortall said there was “complete failure” by the Department of Integration to consult with residents at one site in her constituency

Isn't it amazing the hypocrisy of the left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont think that is exactly true. We have a two speed economy with expensive skiled labour working in multinationals and then more traditional domestic industries some of which includes unskilled labour but both rely on immigration for workers. The rents are going up because of the inequality in wages between the multinationals and local industries.

We are not unique, Singapore has a housing shortage at the moment but have a plan to build 100k units in next two years thoigh while our government has given up it seems on any house building strategy.

There isn't a single part of this equation that stands to reason. Like not one bit.

Not enough resource, keep allowing more people into the country.

Tons of money, yet where is it's benefit?

Homeless towns being erected, not a bother.

Even villages the length and breadth being used to house more and more people, yet accommodation for most irish people in the country is as rare as uranium.

Hospitals are jammed, schools are jammed, homeless lists are record high and growing, there's practically no new infrastructure to mention, but we're apparently minted.

Who needs a tinfoil hat with the likes of this going on?

Can anyone make sense of this???

But if that were true, what is the ratio of this two speed economy? 1:10? 1:100? 1:100000?

But world war 4 could break out and there'd be a small percentage of people doing well out of it. There's always a small few profiting even out of the most heinous things.

But what is the point of this magic economy?

Where is the money going?

Record negative things left, right and centre, the one apparent positive is the money.

So where is it? It looks mighty useless from pretty much every single angle.

Migration seems tied to the hip of this economy, but what good is it materially doing for society?

It’s almost like there is a gun to the head of the political classes, every party.

never in my life have I known not only a government, but the whole of the Irish political system so distanced and distracted from the Irish people they took the privilege and distinct responsibility to serve….its quite treasonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Post of the day here! Wish I could thank it twice!

Now (for the others), can we put the notion that this massive country is under siege to bed?

A part of it certainly is, and those are the genuine refugees who need assistance - but there's a whole country there that logically it would make more sense to move to first - closer to home/remaining family, same language, same education standards meaning a new job is easier to find, same school system etc.

Put yourself in their shoes then. Would you leave your home, your friends, your family, everything you know except as an absolute last resort and only after you'd exhausted the more local options? Why uproot your family to trek the breadth of Europe? Why go to a country on the western edge that has no shelter left to offer? Especially over a year later? What have you been doing till now?

But then there's also the non-Ukranians who are fleeing countries where there is no war or from Western European countries.. why are they here?

But regardless of all of this, the reality is that the country is full, the citizens have increasing concerns that are being ignored/twisted by a tone-deaf Government and complicit media that (just as with Covid) is not asking the questions they should be.

People are rightly concerned and voicing that concern (which isn't excusing any violence by the way) because there's clearly no one else who is going to represent them.

• Advertisement

The fact that we even HAVE a Minister and Department for "integration" under the current Government is a question in itself. This is clearly a long term "project" and with all these things, lots of jobs and money to be handed out to the hangers on both in and outside the Dail.

As I said, you hardly need a tinfoil hat when looking at the absolute bonkers results of this.

Allowing, encouraging, facilitating more people year after year into a housing crisis is madness. Full stop. It's madness. Like pouring petrol on a fire to put it out.

The health system by all accounts is on its last legs, so evidently the years old mantra of migration helping the system is an utter sham. The proof is in front of our eyes, years later.

The gp's are saying they don't even have half the staff necessary for this population growth. Not even half.

You keep getting told about the economy this and the economy that, billions this and trillions that, yet there's barely a new fence to show for it.

Homeless figures, homeless shanty towns, the list is near endless of reality smashing off the face of weird theory.

But what is the theory anyway????

Has anyone, government or not, even attempted, a half hearted attempt, a fifth of an attempt, tried to explain any of it? Is there some note scribbled somewhere in an attic that spells out how this sheer lunacy adds up?

Excellent point…

minister for ‘integration’… it is long long term… I wonder if / when we see as a nation the EU as the divisive, unfit for purpose clown show that it is, will they appoint a minister for disintegration… because disintegration is exactly the pathway that many lives will be taking.

Revenue reported last year Foreign multinationals account for 32% of employment and 53% of employment taxes of corporate employers

https://revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/research/ct-analysis-2022.pdf

In no way is the country "full". In terms of population density we are nowhere close to that but Dublin is creaking at the seams. The government just fails in any long term planning. The issue of refugee accommodation on housing is dwarfed by the governments wretched housing policy or any sort of policy to develop cities outside of Dublin.

If people think we can just turn off the tap on migration and that we wont go bankrupt , I just think they are being very optimistic.

But how in the name of jaysus can you look at,

Record homeless Irish people,

Shanty towns being erected,

Accommodation for near anyone being like gold dust,

Hospital lists, waiting times,

Old folks homes being turned into refugee centres,

One horse towns having extra people bussed in,

And more,

yet still arrive at the conclusion that we aren't full? Or have the facility, or have the space,whatever way you want to word it.

If those things don't scream bursting to you, then a genuine question, what would "too many people" look like? How would it manifest itself to you?

A second question I'll add. You warn of going bankrupt if the tap was turned off. Well where's the benefit of all the supposed money as it is???

Population density isn’t the driver of problems.

population for the available services is….

• Registered Users Posts: 86,111 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This has probably been asked before but how can anyone with no papers, documentation, passport etc., be left in the country surely straight back to wherever they came from, no entry, have we any policing control at ports or airports 😡 Gorman is refusing to go to Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

303 capacity and once again will house single men.

Where are all the female only centres?

Are we getting the same number of women as men?

Hopefully the locals get organised and put a stop to this.

Services always follow population increases- unless it is a planned economy. Just think of the towns that sprung up in the Wild West as a result of gold rushes, towns increase in size overnight and then services were provided for this new population eventually. The population increase caused a lot of problems but ultimately the wealth the town increased.

Unfortunately I think the wealth in a growing economy mostly just beneifts those that already have wealth- the business owners and landlords. It seems Ireland economy is either in boom or bust. I would rather be in an Ireland where people are migrating to than from.

No fear of that unfortunately. "We" (or at least most of our politicians) are completely beholden to the EU for attaboys, future jobs, or just as a convenient scapegoat to point at ("we're bound by EU regulations/agreements" - sound familiar?) whenever the locals start pushing back.

The EU will certainly fall yet (probably during the next financial crisis) when others break away, but good ole obidient, servile Ireland will be there till the last, hanging on to the coat tails of our "betters", and no matter the damage to our society, economy and future.

It's already happening!

• Advertisement

If someone were to demonstrate the effects of over population, this country is the perfect example.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The money generated is nowhere to be seen, yet the negatives are to be seen from the inner city of Dublin to tiny villages on the west coast, from hospitals to schools, from housing to even firefighters throwing the towel in.

Is anyone even attempting to reconcile this situation with the economic theory?

So you agree that as things stand, ireland is way beyond capacity.

And for another thing, how many years do you allow or expect ireland to put up with ever shrinking capacity before it snaps? There's a fair argument to say it already has snapped when you have a tractor blocking access to more people in god knows where.

And following the trend of it becoming worse each year, when does population migration slow down to allow facility to catch up?

You would have to agree, it's a proper insult to tell people to knowingly put up with decreasing quality of life.

The most pertinent question being "how is this a good thing for me?"

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

Except the gold rush had gold to generate the wealth. Welfare, not so much.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

I would much rather be in an Ireland people are leaving. Maybe then I wouldn’t be spending a small fortune on rent and petrol every month. Maybe then I could live in the city too, instead of out in the country because the landlord kicked us out to up the rent and we couldn’t find anything in budget in cork.

I think the multinationals such a Google coming to Ireland and paying larger wages is our gold rush, of sorts. That is what is attracting skilled workers from other parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

If this continues the way it is going, there will be no integration.

Just anger, suspicion and resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

Do you think people that apply to live in Ireland legally should be forgiven sexual assaults and presumably, any past criminal activity, given this criteria?

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

You must have loved the 80's then. People scrambling for jobs, jobs being given to applicants based on who you know not ability, long lines of university students outside the US embassy applying for visas. I don't think it was a time a lot of people would willingly go back to.

I dont really understand the term capacity- We certainly dont have enough houses at the moment if that i what you mean. But the capacity is artificial only limited because of poor government planning. It is not like we are Singapore or Hong Kong with limited space to work with.

What would be your preferred period to live in Ireland, when do you think our quality of life was the best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

Do you believe the asylum seekers and “refugees” are coming here to work in Google and Facebook?

Advertisement