Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You're firmly on the side of the North Face jacket brigade foaming at the mouth chanting "get them out" I see.

Those people are the bottom of the barrell of Irish society. They'd be living miserable unfulfilled lives with or without immigrants, and de gubberment or George Soros have nothing to do with it.

Come with evidence or get up the yard. You're peddling rumour, so don't make a joke of yourself invoking honesty.

You want RTE to start reporting on every cock and bull whatsapp rumour shared by some far-right dope who has a time-share in Mountjoy or mammy's group where they wear pajamas all day? That's not journalism. Get your head screwed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's quite amusing to see the rabid defenders of the social welfare class, suddenly start mocking them for being on the dole, for daring to have views that don't align with theirs. It's not too different than African Americans who start getting called Uncle Tom's by white progressives the minute they signal any dissent against their views. It's very clear that the "little people" only matter when they sing from the right hymn sheet.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Is it reasonble to identify some of the protestors and organise counter protests outside their houses? They could have people waiting outside their door shouting at them every time they go outside? I don't think they could complain, since they are doing the exact same thing.

It doens't matter what strata of society you come from, if you're outside a refugee centre spewing bile intimidating people you're a scrot - and I don't care what tax bracket (or none) you are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I was responding to someone who was mocking the jobless, you were not being accused of anything.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The point stands. If you elect to stand outside a refugee centre screaming obscenities and chanting "get them out" you've crossed a line, you're firmly a scumbag.

The kid gloves need to come off with this activity. If communities want to be heard about concerns, by all means, we are a democracy, get your consultations and town hall meeting with officials (there's no guarantee they'll walk away 100% satisfied however) - but a rent a mob of far rights troglydytes organised on WhatsApp from far and wide stirring trouble can f*ck off. The State is looking like they're going to get serious with these idiots. And it's not past time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am not a rabid defender of the "social welfare class" though quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

lol touched a nerve or what - you werent even being referred to but clearly you share those opinions as it seemed to hit you pretty hard

Also what "refugee centre"? You of all people should know the difference between a refugee and an asylum seeker. Those people are asylum seekers, yet to be granted asylum (many of them will be refused too). In that light theres nothing wrong with protesting about the abuse of the asylum process by bogus seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So you agree the water protestors in Jobstown and the ones calling Michael D a midget parasites are vile scrotes and scumbags?

Finally we agree on something.

Although I do remember at the time most here agreed with them and went out of their way to support their actions against da gubberment…

• Advertisement

Split hairs about the distinction between asylum seeker and refugee all you want, the people outside braying are low-lives.

My nerves remain untouched, your concern should probably turned upon yourself with your own pecadillos that see you going off on mad ones on the regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

The UN do something useful and productive? perish the thought.

The Jobstown protests were disgusting, I'm on record here saying as much so I don't know where you're coming from on this. They were full-value for their prosecution.

Economic migrants are not refugees, and as they take up scarce resource from those who really need them (those fleeing from actual persecution) - they do not deserve any sympathies. Its not split hairs, its a massive distinction. This is why the asylum process exists in the first place, to filter the chancers from those in need.

I'll broaden my point further: Anyone who gathers a mob outside where people go down to sleep at night, spewing bile and and chanting get them out is an utter scumbag.

On the determination point, some in these centres will be granted refugee status, some will not. You don't have a single bean if that number will be 1% or 100%. And it doesn't matter a jot how many will be successful in their claim for the purposes of the discussion, the scumbags outside should clear-off. You're merely softpeddling the behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why shouldn't communities be satisfied with the outcome? Why should something they don't want be imposed on them?

Because I don't get to choose my neighbours, I don't get to choose what gets built or doesn't get built in my vicinity, I can make my observations and have my say in a democracy, but no one individual (or indeed self-appointed concerned citizens who pretend they represent the whole community) gets to decree what does or doesn't happen at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not so much “ lies “ as progressives dogma , both white guilt and the unconditional positivity of diversity are key tenets of WOKE thought , it doesn’t matter if those claiming asylum are really seeking better economic conditions and we the white Irish have an obligation to feed and clothe the people of the developing world

notice how the inaccuracies of the recent Kitty Holland story are being staunchly defended by her colleagues and the broader progressive movement, the actual truth is not that important just as the truth about economic migrants posing as refugees is also something which isn’t important

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We are told by the left that most people are in favor of this and polls and a referendum would show this.

If this is the case then why are the government not consulting communities before they drop people into the community without consultation.

If we are to believe the left then wouldn't most communities welcome them?

But you can choose to a certain extent what does or doesnt get built in the vicinity. Its part of the planning process.

Planned developments must be considerate of the locality and whether it is suitable or not. Dumping 100+ single men with limited english and no employment prospects in an area is not exactly good planning.

• Advertisement

Incorrect, you make observations and that's the end of it. The planning process does the rest.

In discreet circumstances you may make a high High Court appeal for a Judicial Review on an An Bord Pleanala decision on a point of law. "I don't like immigrants" is not a point of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dumping 100+ single men with limited english and no employment prospects in an area is not exactly good planning.

There was a video posted earlier in the thread of one of these men trying to explain his situation to some of these "heroes".

Lets just say it wasn't him with limited English skills.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

People have to get over the idea that major politicians and mass media are on their side....

In the UK we had ex Prime Minister Gordon Brown canvassing for votes before a General Election. Some woman said to him that she thought there were too many immigrants in the country. Gordon Brown agreed with her and thanked her and got back in his car.

He forgot he had a microphone on and started complaining that she was a "bigoted woman".

You really think politicians care what they do to irish communities? As long as people vote FFFG nothing will change.

The planning process is not followed for change of use of hotels and offices into asylum accommodation - so residents are right to feel aggrieved, and are entitled to air their grievances with the state and the system for not consulting them

They are entitled to take a High Court case to test if that is illegal or not. If the state is empowered to do it, then they are empowered to do it. This is the adult world, no one person or interest group gets to say who their neighbours are, what gets built, if there are traffic lights in a certain place or not etc etc etc ad nauseum.

And they may air their greivances with officials in consultations. Standing outside a place where people sleep like a 1930s anti-semetic mob is sh*tbag behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭boetstark

Thank you. About time somebody called this for what it is. These are no more genuine asylum seekers than I am. They are economic refugees hoping from country to country until they find the easiest system to abuse.

No wonder we are called treasure Island and it was an African that toldthat that.

Our health is creaking at the seams requiring more financial investment in staff and infrastructure. Charities such as Laura Lynn childrens hospice are struggling for private funding.

But our idiotic governmentare spending millions on accomodating freeloaders from god knows where and flipping cycle lanes everywhere.

Am I correct in thinking you're from South Africa? There may be many in the number that don't want you here either by the way. Ireland is full innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not individuals, but absolutely communities should have a say what happens in their community. This is something that they normally get a chance to through the planning process. At the moment no one is getting a chance to make any observations or comments before a site is chosen.

It's coming down as high handed decrees, fait accomplis from government without any community input into the process. And it's clear why - they don't want to give people a chance to oppose because no one wants these in their area.

And the only reason there are so many international protection applicants is because of the government removed the restrictions on work after a few months, generous social supports and provide accommodation with a promise of own door to come.

The system wouldn't be under near as much pressure, and far fewer accommodation centres would be required if those with destroyed documents were turned away, those with claims were processed quickly and if we didn't allow the appeals system to be abused.

This is all on top of providing for Ukrainians at a level that exceeds many of our peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The government have bypassed the planning process. They are responsible for the result. People are entitled to protest in their own area.

Funny how Green Party members in Dublin block houses being built in the West coast. I suppose when you are in the inner circle the rules don’t apply to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

Yes she is talking about rumours, because unless there's other evidence of them, that's what unreported crimes turn into. The refusal to report crime by certain parties is an injustice in itself and there are various negative consequences that flow from it, including an increased sense of distrust with the media, the State and the general environment, not to mention the justifiable resentment that occurs when one group is held to account for criminal activity and another gets a blind-eye-style free pass.

The recent criminal activity in Cherry Orchard is a good case in point. Compare that national coverage with the dead silence when several hundred first generation Irish born citizens of African migrants surrounded elderly Irish people chanting "Fcuk you white people" while trying to smash their way into the Spar shop where George Nkencho had gone on his violent knife wielding rampage. I watched footage of elderly people scattering, one woman running for her car, surrounded when she got there. The shop shutters were pulled down to protect the customers and staff.

The former ended up all over the 6-One news, the latter ended up all over social media, and this really is where the media arm of the state is showing a reckless disregard for balance and fairness along with an almost childlike sense of naiveté. The days of turning on the TV at 6pm to find out what's going on in the world are long gone. We know what's going on in the world, and when we see large chunks of it missing from the mainstream we know we're being lied to. RTE's calculated omissions provoke resentment, fear, and the natural question: what else are they hiding from us?

Advertisement