Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Lets be real, there would be zero centres anywhere if we allowed the noisy minority have sway. The government has a duty to accomodate in so far is it can people, if you asked them privately, I'm sure they'd tell you they'd rather numbers were much lower than they are, and that nobody destroyed documents coming off a plane (in fact it's no secret they'd rather people didn't destroy documents). You can't return people to a country without travel documentation, no one will recieve them - that's a hard legal fact, and that's true of every country. The option is emergency accomodation or massive tent cities like you see in Paris (anyone want to put their hands up for that option?).

Whether they should have been allowed board the plane in the first instance is a separate matter. We don't have immigration desks in Charles De Amsterdam / Frankfurt.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

Yes, rumours peddled by dribbling morons on WhatsApp. We already had one this week where the Gardai had to come out and tell people that it was b*llshit (that migrants were responsible). And let's be honest, these crackpots don't give a sh*t about the safety of women, if they did, they'd be wandering from house to house in their own estates with baseball bats, because 9 out of 10 perpetrators of sexual offences are done by those known to and close to the victim. They'd need to start beating themselves over the head with baseball bats before they got around to migrants.

Pony up the evidence or on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If they are arriving on a plane without documents then put them back on the plane. The airline should take responsibility or its plane is impounded. Pure and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I think that’s what happens in America.

Incorrect documentation and they help you with a fare back on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The lies by the far right are a disgrace. Utter disgrace. These scum could have jeopardised that case and have done so to some degree.

But don't forget NGOs have lied through their teeth too at times,like that example that was posted here of a man who said he was beaten up by 7 Bouncers. Turned out be total BS. Not a scratch on the lad and to post it on twitter as gospel.

Same with Irish Times lady this week who lied about the "beatings"

These extremes are both the same just different names.

It helps nobody. It's pathetic from both sides. Sadly their voices are loudest and again people in middle have no voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

To be fair to the government they are only taking people with kids at present

But I say it again - the government needs to separate facts from fiction.

Otherwise social media will continue to be peoples main source of information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Might even put you in guantamano if they don't like the look of ya. They won't let ya in anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Has anyone been able yet to list out the positives of illegal immigration to Ireland?

I see several posters making excuses for it but I don't think I have seen them provide reasons why ireland benefits.

I don't believe in a zero refugee policy, only on illegals.

So the people here making excuses to allow illegal immigration, why are you in favor of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's nonsense. There are plenty of other countries that don't tolerate this bs. Australia sends you to the back of the line if you pull this stunt with them for example.

So we’re told all the ones arriving with no documentation have to be processed and see if they can claim asylum.

We’re then told if they are denied then…….????

Fill in the blank?

What happens then????

They are never leaving Ireland regardless if they are denied or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Did they come on a VISA and are filling a necessary employment role (or come as partner that met that criteria) or did they end up in Europe from Africa and then hop on ferries/planes to get here and declare that they wanted asylum and handouts ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

I don't know all the details in the situation you're talking about so I won't comment. I do know though that during the Covid 19 lockdowns - when Irish anti-lockdown protesters were beaten by Gardai on the streets - thousands of young people, mainly African-Irish, were given a special exemption from the rule of law and allowed to march through our city streets, protesting the death of a man who'd smashed a shopkeepers face in and attempted to stab him and numerous others.

Reality, sanity, and the impositions of a global pandemic were all suspended to cater to one group of people - while the fathers of Ireland were not allowed to attend their own children's births, the mothers of Ireland were forced to give birth alone, and the families of Ireland were forced to grieve from a distance without the dignity or closure of attending any funeral that took place during that time.

If you think this represents balance, fairness or equality in society, pony up your evidence or go on your way.

Hate to break it to you, but if you land at Sydney Airport and destroy your passport before immigration, they are not putting you back on a return flight to anywhere. Airlines won't allow anyone sans passport on an international flight because the entire flight is uninsured if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Do what we do- their version of direct provision, a few appeals and then they go sod it u can stay. You can now bring your family over on family repatriation and we'll house them too.

Every country does this, don't they?!!

They won't. Everyone turning up in Dublin airport has already been identified though and you can tell these people that they are not getting placed in the community and will not be eligible for work until they identify themselves.

The problem stops overnight. Guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Fook that.

You have no documentation or fake documents when you land - straight to jail

Airline's manifest is cross checked, people matched and sent back.

Can't be matched - sent to labour camp on offshore island and stay until idetify onesself and then deported.

Why should they get to work if they eventually identify themselves?

They didn't go through VISA program, they tried to enter country without documentation or with fake documentation.

I am not allowed discuss …

You can spit invective all you want, I posted a fact. There is not an airline on earth that will take off with an uninsured risk on board. For an international flight, if there is no passport inspected at the boarding gate with the attendant corroborated biometric information inputted for the relevant flight, they are not going on board. The entire flight becomes uninsurable. That's as true for Australia as it is Ireland.

The user posted some nonsense about Australia as if they have Robocop at immigration gates billy clubbing people back onto a plane if they have destroyed their passport. That's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes she is talking about rumours, because unless there's other evidence of them, that's what unreported crimes turn into

Nope, an unreported crime is an unreported crime.

A rumour is a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mammychicken

• Advertisement

That not what I said. I said those that turn up without documents go to the back of the line.

What is undoubtedly true is that a far far tougher line on people presenting without documents could be taken. But it's not and that's due to policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What is undoubtedly true is that a far far tougher line on people presenting without documents could be taken

What would that look like in practical terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

What kind of BS is this now? The main problem is not that they have no documentation on boarding, the main problem is that they don’t have it on landing.

Another instance of tinkering at the edges of a problem and calling it a solution, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

When there's photographic and video evidence forwarded countless thousands of times, 'rumours' are no longer rumours. They are evidenced facts, and that they are ignored by the mainstream is a contemptible dereliction of duty. People need to see, hear and experience a sense of fair play from their mainstream journalists, presenters and broadcasters. Media strategies that deliberately deny even-handed reporting break the journalistic code of ethics people sign up to when they enter that profession, and are responsible for breeding inevitable resentment and distrust among the public. It is very dangerous and is to the broad scale detriment of society. I think this is an area we could probably do with some new legislation to regulate, since the traditional journalistic code of ethics is clearly no longer respected from within.

Correct.

"Correct documentation" in this context refers to an airline or groundstaff permitting a visa-required non EU national on an Ireland bound flight without the correct visa in ignorance. It makes no reference to passports. They know they're not supposed to permit them board without a passport, and they don't because they're not stupid.

When was the last time you boarded a flight to Ireland without your passport being checked at the gate*? I'll give you a hint, you haven't.

*UK origin flights excepted obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wow it’s like you walked around town and, for the most part, saw people who were in their down time.

What contribution are you to society on your day off with your family next to the Liffy or at lunch over coffee? Are Uber cyclists not contributing anything?

What exactly are you talking about? What do you want reported that you think isn't being reported?

All you're blathering on about is guff on WhatsApp and you expect it to hit the front of all the papers the next morning because you can't distinguish between rumour and corroborated fact.

It's no wonder there's an extremely strong correlation between anti vax muppets and the latest surge in right wing sentiment. Same credulity, same reliance on uncorroborated guff on social media, same low-IQ nonsense, and same "everyone is out to get me" conspiratorial psychosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What airline goes UK to Ireland without checking passports at the gate?

Advertisement