Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

Iistening to RTE news about the EU commissioner whinging about Ireland not providing housing fir asylum seekers.

I am wholeheartedly sick of the EU chastising Ireland about housing thousands of chancers.

Just done either them now.

How about they have a word with Denmark or Hungary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The question should be which party would offer an alternative to the way they are running the country. That's the problem.

They are. Stop living in lala land.

Even if they manage to get any kind of work they will be paying minimum tax so will still be net beneficiaries.

These are NOT doctors and engineers. These people come in via the legal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

His dissappearing act when Tanaiste was ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

exactly, has Denmark been admonished for restricting entry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

That’s not the issue. The issue is choosing to take refugees in and then intentionally making them live on the streets. It’s makes the EU look like a basket case. We should only take in numbers we can accommodate appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

My reading of the EU criticism is them saying to Leo only take in what you can provide adequate accommodation for i.e. you're full

Oh I don't have social media accounts, I am aware of what is being posted on them through different channels.

And you are right, Ireland is not special or exempt from the effects of the far right movement. Already we can see it seeping into everyday ordinary decent people, strating to treat non Irish nationals as somehow lesser persons, or lesser human beings.

Do you know what professions refugees from Afghanistan and the Ukraine had before they came here?

Why would you presume they are not doctors or engineers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭seenitall

Just want to point out this particular instance has nothing to do with the EU as such. The Council of Europe is not an EU institution, it consists of 46 member states and predates the EU.

Post edited by seenitall on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No issue for Irish homeless and who is giving the warning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I have answered these before on this thread, and no, my account wasn't hacked as another poster said 😁

But appreciate the tone of your post even if we may not agree on everything tbh. .

And I don't have my head in the sand although I think it would be great if I could sometime!

I think we have reached our upper limit for now until processing catches up, but as we have heard today we will have continuing legal problems for every genuine refugee here already, if not treated appropriately.

We could withdraw like Denmark but we will still have to deal with those who are here.

Also that would take time and the government would need to be on the same page about doing that.

I don't think they are anywhere near that level of decisionmaking. Which is disgraceful I totally agree

I am in favour of treating these people with respect and dignity as everyone should be, and think that forcible deportation should only be used for criminal elements. And those deemed illegal applications. Promptly.

However many who are not initially accepted do get permission to remain and subsidiary protection if not full refugee status. The latter allows them to stay and work but not full refugee rights as in apply for citizenship or benefits.

I would imagine this limbo is not conducive to people taking on Ireland as a home. The numbers leaving are ' unaccountef for'. Do they take a boat? Do they ho to pther countries?... very likely

There are very small. numbers anecdotally going underground working on building sites, cleaning houses. ETC. . But even thrse poor sods don't stay long, if they can get away

They deserve our pity really and there are organisations actively helping some of these people to get immigrant staus here or elsewhere and not be treated as modern ' slaves'.

Also as regards staying in hostel accomodation I don't know except they can stay there while looking for somewhere else. But they have to pay. Everything is means tested except for DP which is nothing to be writing to Georgia about

Think our government needs to..

a) recognise that we have a housing emergency at this stage for everybody not just refugees

They haven't done this yet and it is a crucial step towards dealing with a crisis situation, and really putting all heads together and funding resources to sort it.

We have not seen them dealing with this for a number of years now with any urgency.

b) use this to extricate from the agreement or reduce the numbers coming in, with the EU.

Denmark has done this by redefining the definition of a wartorn vountru and refusing any other applicants from safe countries since 2015.

Hasn't won them many friends in the EU but I guess the important thing for them is that their electorate is happier?

(Their government is a lot further right than ours and they are different from us in many othe rways also but thats a whole other thread!)

c) Increase numbers of people processing and dealing with AS and IPA. Tighten up procedures speed up appeals in the courts , and deport those who have been unsuccessful in applications promptly.

d) Communicate and give concrete supports to communities where refugees are being housed. Facilities such as English and social skills classes are good but for the communities there should be positive incentivisation for being supportive and inclusive eg. libraries, recreational ie parks and sports clubs, better transport links.

All of these take time and money which our government have squandered over the last 11 years and it appears still don't know what to do with.

For other run of the mill questions I have posted this before as I found it a good read and answers a lot..

https://www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie/frequently-asked-questions-on-asylum-and-refugees

Yes its the Irish Refugee Council which will turn some people off reading it, but it is factual and answers a lot of questions that come up here.

I agree with people that we need to deal with these issues now, very quickly (but not the barbed wire and hob nail boots approach) or we will be on a slippery slope to protests and civil unrest as well as integration problems for refugees in the future.

People don't integrate where there is mistrust and perceived inequality and unrest.

Thats what happened in Sweden.

And..

Germany and France tp a lesser extent.

That would leave you voting IFP or NP? 👀 Or Aontú which is voting for a non party really.

SinnFéin might say they are for refugees but see them swivel to be anything the voters' hearts' desire the longer this goes on!

I reckon that letter from the EUCouncil will have the effect of banging a few goverment heads together to sort things out quick.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

12,259 people are now in emergency homeless accommodation, a new record high.

Almost 4,000 of them are children.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One huge change is that global migrants are far more mobile than they used to be. 100 years ago it would have been nigh on impossible for someone fleeing war or famine many thousands of miles away to make their way to Ireland or Britain to claim asylum, but with the advent of air travel, it is perfectly feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One wonders just what the Danes are up to. Asylum applications have been very low there since 2017 - around 3000 a year since 2017 and even lower since 2019 (1500 or so). They appear to be stamping out a completely non-existent "problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

it's beyond a joke at this stage. I worked in one of those ballybrit offices years ago. Moving 300 adult male economic migrants into the area will cause chaos. It is right beside a dual carriageway with only one petrol station shop within a kilometer radius. It's in proximity to about four medical device companies.

FF/FG on a suicide mission, but sher as long as the EU overlords are kept happy, that's all that matters really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Going by the concentration of unemployed refugees in this town, there are a hell of a lot of unemployed doctors and engineers then.

I would be bored out of my tree being unemployed for the last 15 months. I would have spent the time on Duolingo learning the local language and getting myself immersed into the local community and culture, but that's just me.

It ain't happening around here. We only have 2 new locals on the PA of the local school. It doesn't take much conversing to shift a few chairs and get involved. You know give back to a very charitable community!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Thank you for the post, I think you have echoed what the vast majority think, including myself, with 80 percent of the post.

Unfortunately the two extremes get more air time, and one of extremes seem to be in government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Not sure what the EU has to do with this when they’re from outside the EU and Denmark has a strict policy and they are in the eu and “lefties”. Uk left EU and had record immigration this year. It’s just lazy and predictable to blame the eu these days, fact is if were outside the eu we’d have the same or more immigrants like the Uk except for the fact they would be from the ROW more so than EU.

Ok, so no, you don't know the professions of Ukrainian and Afghanistan refugees then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've little or no time for FF or FG but the alternative is even worse.

I know you are left leaning but have a think about it for a minute, would you have confidence in SF, Labour, Soc Dems and PBP in Government?

Although realistically if ML wants to sit in the bosses chair she will need to chat with FF but of course she won't say that before the election.

Yes indeed . Thanks for that.

I don't know where their heads are at really .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

What a load of shite, no one wants to see gangs with no respect for the law or the gardaí no matter where they're from but sure you keep alluding to racism whenever everyone isn't cheer leading for this mess. I'm sure that'll work out great 🙄

They should have rounded the whole lot of them up and put them on the next plane out of here, coming to our country and acting like its the wild west is just not on.

And the Guards just looking on afraid to do anything in case the race card is thrown at them.

I see 13 apartments in Doughiska along with the building in Ballybrit are to be used for the migrants, more supposed to be coming to College Road but I'm not sure what building they are using there.

Was watching The Tonight Show last night, there was an interview with Harris and the "far right" was the hot topic for most of it.

Then back to the studio and this English guy Henry McKean from Newstalk laying into the folks in Clare saying he was so ashamed.

The days when an English man tells us how we should behave in our own country are long gone.

• Advertisement

Lol. The whole country complain about AGS, constantly.

The gardai don't need faux sympathies from anti immigration protestors.

Advertisement