Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes deportations rarely happen now. Don't know why, do you? Policy change?

Used to be a regular thing back 10 years ago. Did the gardaí pull the plug?

They get a teeny amount per week with a small increase for children in DP s.

Meant asylum seekers as regards working post 6 months but I see that as a good thing tbh the way our labour market is and better people kept busy.

Fast tracking is for claims and reviews also to a certain extent for those deemed from safe countries. Courts /legal appeals holding process up mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Nope that's not what I said.

We need to invest more in education to prevent this kind of misunderstanding.

And have more kids to be teachers if you don't want migrants teaching your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Definitely not when you don't link to those non existent laws.

Wow. This is patently false! So now not are you claiming that asylum seekers are 'illegal immigrants' despite links provided by another poster to the laws governing asylum, you are claiming that ' real refugees' would never travel out of their countries?!

Of course they wouldn't... if they cannot travel to claim asylum, never mind starving or living in unsanitary unsafe conditions, with babies and small children.

• Advertisement

One thing that has struck me about this continuing commentary about these two obvious spongers..

What are these people expecting to get here?

They don't get benefits until they are 6 months in the country with their false claim being processed.

Only DP. 6 months.

I doubt that either of those women would come here to go into direct provision for 6 months, a point that is not mentioned in that video.

It is a pvsstake as far as I know, and a lot of people here are getting all riled up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭trashcan

Section 16(1) of the 2015 International Protection Act explicitly gives permission to an applicant to remain in the State while their application is being processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Are you sure they're not posting on other threads while they are supposedly 'absent' from here? People might have all sorts of reasons for drifting in and out of various threads.

Right. Maybe then you can explain why you misunderstand the law as it applies to asylum seekers.

They are not obliged to register in another country.

They are not obliged to register at the airport or point of entry.

They are obliged to register at the IPO.

Once registered they are photographed, fingerprinted and the processing of their claim begins.

They are considered legal asylum seekers as per international and Irish law... Not illegal immigrants!

You know this because you have quoted back correctly to me and other posters but are spinning away trying to discredit another /other posters.

You have spent the last 3 pages telling suvigirl that she is incorrect when it apoears to me you are trolling her. She posted correctly but now you infer she doesn't understand what she has said.

Now you and another poster are making derogatory comnents about yet another poster(annasopra) who is not even on the thread to defend themself.

Am I wrong in this? No.

Am I misunderstanding you? I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So what? Some people support some aspects of current policy. Why is that a problem?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I'm afraid that particular poster doesn't understand the law

Pro refugee? What is that?

Surely everybody is pro refugee? Considering refugees are fleeing from war, persecution or natural disasters, is there someone that would identify as being anti refugee?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So why are they still here then?

We are a joke in this country because the deportation orders are just ignored.

End this voluntary crap and set up a task force like ICE to put them in a van, bring them to the airport and get them out of our country when the decision is made.

Haha funny guy 🤣

What about some of the anti people?

Think they need a bit of tlc too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So why exactly are you not condemning the current system and calling for it to be closed? You know that all a fraudulent claimant needs to do is utter the magic words 'I'm claiming asylum' and they're in, it's impossible for those at the desk to dispute this there & then and refuse entry.

The system whilst well meant is utterly broken and needs a complete cessation and overhaul. We simply can't continue to find emergency accommodation, food and money for the numbers that have rapidly jumped on the gravy train.

So call stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You said this

If someone wishes to come to Ireland and applies for a Visa, certain criteria need to be met, jobs, certain amount of money to keep themselves etc.

Someone seeking asylum is very unlikely to have those things as the very point of having a claim to asylum is that they require assistance to escape from something.

"...as the very point of having a claim to asylum is that they require assistance to escape from something"

I then posted a little clip (again) showing an Albanian lad having being caught in Rome airport trying to get to Ireland (on a fake passport) to claim asylum, admitting that he is not in fear or escaping anything in Albania, as proof that there are many people falsely claiming asylum in Ireland

And you said: "Not sure what this is supposed to prove" -

It's almost like you didn't watch the clip

*bangs head repeatedly against wall*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Requirements as to documents of identity and supply of information.

11.—(1) Every person (other than a person under the age of 16 years) landing in the State shall be in possession of a valid passport or other equivalent document, issued by or on behalf of an authority recognised by the Government, which establishes his or her identity and nationality to the satisfaction of an immigration officer.

(2) Every person landing in or embarking from the State shall furnish to an immigration officer such information in such manner as the immigration officer may reasonably require for the purposes of the performance of his or her functions.

(3) A person who contravenes this section shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) This section does not apply to any person (other than a non-national) coming from or embarking for a place in the State, Great Britain or Northern Ireland.

Because all claims should be investigated and frauds deported.

How do you know they're frauds without investigating? You're suggesting that all applicants are frauds.

I agree claims should be dealt with a lot quicker

I watched it, we do accept asylum seekers from Albania, as a safe country, they are investigated quickly and if not true, their claims will be denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

They are their own worst enemy and have made a farce of a system that actually helped the people that needed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

Thank you for the link. No-one said they don't have permission to stay while a claim is assessed, the claim is that they are not illegal immigrants and that section doesn't say they are not. In fact, it details a list of conditions that no legal resident would be expected to abide by such as:

(a) not leave or attempt to leave the State without the consent of the Minister,

(b) not seek, enter or be in employment or engage for gain in any business, trade or profession,

(c) inform the Minister of his or her address and any change of address as soon as possible, and

(d) comply with either or both of the following conditions, as may be notified in writing to him or her by an immigration officer:

(i) that he or she reside or remain in a specified district or place in the State;

(ii) that he or she report at specified intervals to—

(I) an immigration officer, or

(II) a specified Garda Síochána station.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

So you’re saying they are illegal ? Just to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's unclear how many stick around. Their only option would probably be to be put up by a friend or family member and / or to work in the black economy and off the books.

From my understanding, physically deporting someone is a very messy and awkward process. You need the full cooperation of the country you are deporting them to and all sorts of legal procedures have to be followed, not just the bare deportation order from the court. I was reading recently that even Australia is struggling to deport failed asylum seekers and often finds the physical deportation process way more hassle and time consuming than it is worth.

I'll save some time and allow you have misunderstood my posts. If you still feel you haven't, that's ok too.

I have taken the time to post citations and law to back my arguments so if you would like to respond to this post with any questions or observations, feel free.

I am following the law to make that argument. I am open to correction, feel free to change my mind.

Yes, it's a very tricky situation.

Plenty of countries are very reluctant to take back their citizens for good and bad reasons.

For good:

They send money back to the home country

It can take pressure off services

It can reduce social friction

Not so good:

They can be used to blackmail the countries wanting to return them for bribes (so called 'repatriation agreements').

They can be criminals that they are very happy to see the back of

They can be of low value in employment or other ways

Ok. Being legally in the State is a little bit like being pregnant. You either are or you aren’t. They have permission to be in the State, therefore they are de facto legally here. It’s fundamentally not logical to state otherwise. Try going into Court and arguing that an asylum seeker is illegally in the Country. Yes, it’s a limited permission, but it’s still 100 per cent legal.

By the way, I’m making no comment on the system and it’s rights or wrongs. Just pointing out facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Yes.

Me.

We've been taken for mugs for the last 25 years by every chancer with a sob story.

See how they laugh at us.

We owe these people nothing.

Deport the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Covered in my longer post earlier, but it depends on your definition.

Do I have sympathy for GENUINE refugees and believe that supporting them (within the limits of sustainability and practicality) until the danger has past in their homelands is a good thing - yes.

Do I feel responsible for their plight or some sort of obligation to resettle them and put their needs and problems ahead of ours or those we already have - no.

Charity begins at home and we can only do so much , not forgetting we ALREADY do proportionally a lot more in this area than a lot of other places.

• Advertisement

If you read the act, or even this thread, you will have noted that that doesn't apply to asylum seekers. All legislation should be read as a whole, not just one section.

Advertisement