Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Because Asylum Seekers are looked after by the state . Whether reserved for homeless or not refugees do get houses after a short time here .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

6 Fine Gael TDs have announced they will not run in the next election. The Examiner reported that 9 Fine Gael TDs would not run. There will be lot more than 15 new TDs in the next Dail. I think FG will struggle to win 20 seats.

Greens will be decimated too.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You could certainly make the point that 'overall' pressure on accommodation in the state is being impacted by the arrival of refugees and asylum seekers, but it seems hard to believe that emergency places for Irish homeless people are being affected. Irish homelessness services and the asylum system are two completely different things and work independently of each other i.e. they are not usually accommodated in the same place or at the expense of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The government decides where the money goes for these separate services .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I wouldn't say I'm an authority just because I know what a refugee is.

All your posts seem to be about me/directed at me.....I find that really, really wierd

If you wish to read up more about refugees/asylum seekers I would direct you to the websites of the UN, EU and government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

My impression is SF are very split on the issues internally.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The reality is only a tiny percentage of Irish people want "open borders"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You are misunderstanding my post.

Due to the census the number of TDs elected will rise from 158 currently to a minimum of 172.

Terry Pratchet

I don't think I have ever met anyone in real life or online who wants 'open borders '

I just think it's another way of shutting people down.

It's just empty meaningless rhetoric painting people in favour of managed immigration and managed asylum in a certain way. The vast majority of people do not want open borders.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Just like the empty meaningless rhetoric painting people in favour of managed immigration and managed asylum in a certain way by referring to them as “racist” or “far right”. Have seen it about a hundred times on this thread. People calling for very moderate controls shut down in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

I don't know why you constantly look for me to research websites that consistently prove you are wrong rather than try quote what you appear to believe proves you right.

Actually, suspect I do. You know you are wrong and have childishly chosen to personalise this discussion in defiance of the rules, ergo you cannot afford to engage with the facts.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

Prima facie perhaps, however, if you look closely at policies and sentiments that a larger percentage of people love to advance, it's difficult to see how they accord with the notion and the right of people to secure borders at all. This thread is a perfect example.

The facts are that refugees have international protection.

And why you think I should need a website to prove to you something as basic as that, is beyond me.

I certainly have not personalised anything, and I have no interest in doing so, if you could do the same I would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

For as long as the United States start wars or proxy wars on border countries of the EU/in the ME/North Africa then it's going to be next to impossible to prevent refugees. Washington tells Brussels what to do, Brussels tells national governments what they're doing. It's the price to be paid for the EU relying totally on the US for its security and not developing its own independent defence and security mechanisms - something to which president Macron has alluded to recently. There's feck all we can do about it other than to lobby politicians to ensure that Irish citizens are treated with equal respect to refugees.

As I never said that refugees don't have international protection, I'm (again) at a loss as to the relevance of this random claim. Where are you getting this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EU policy itself has already turned.

The migrant pact had a amendment agrees by council, that minors and families not be exempt. The safe third countries list being now a per state decision and not a EU one. The only dissenting voices for it were Germany, Ireland, Portugal and Luxembourg.

And if it doesn't pass the negotiation with the EU parliament this year then that's fine as it'll be a very very different parliament next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What are you on about, bar the odd post its a reasonably civilized debate overall on the thread.

The only one sounding a bit hysterical is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think FF will come out of the GE even worse than FG, its going to be a bloodbath for the 3 parties in government.

Increased immigration across the EU will see a lot of far right parties elected into government over the next 5-10 years.

If AfD get elected in Germany you can kiss goodnight to the European Union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Great letter. Any TD or party with similar thoughts would get my vote straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Exactly, all the talk of the far right in Ireland is nonsense. Change to immigration policy will come from rise of the far right in Europe which is far more likely and even probable in the medium term. We will row in behind any policy from Europe, regardless of how unpleasant that may be.

We, effectively, don't have an immigration policy in this country worthy of controlling immigration. Immigration is a good thing yet must be controlled. We don't control it. Our politicians have signed up to uncontrolled immigration en masse. We even have a Minister for Integration but none with the word 'immigration' in it. Says it all.

We are as neo-liberalist and capitalist as the US, if not more. We are controlled by a small number of US companies who can ring up and have access to any minister they like. The US/NATO ain't leaving Ukraine anytime soon. . . . and it'll be onwards to China in years to come. So we are totally at the mercy of events regarding immigration and decisions are not taken by our own government on immigration. Add in the Irish mentality of doing as their masters say with our total inability to plan for anything properly and, well, you have the chaotic approach to immigration ongoing.

There are Irish parties out there who hold views on seriously restricting immigration or perhaps, even, leaving the EU. They can win votes very easily and make significant gains over time. I remember watching BBC Ceefax (yes remember that) in 1997 and the headline was "Sinn Fein win A seat in the Irish parliament". Things can accelerate and change very rapidly.

The real issues ongoing re immigration is that FF/FG/GP have been exposed for what they are - puppets on a string ordering in modular homes for people who have never paid a cent tax in Ireland as the Irish leave or go homeless. That is creating a lot of anger and upset and they'll pay the price at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

When Leo says we can’t put any limits on those arriving is that open borders?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Germany has a three party coalition like ourselves. One very good thing about such coalitions is that it makes it nigh on impossible for the cranks in the far right parties to take over a country and turn it into an authoritarian state in the way they would love to.

You do realise that this theoretically helps keep the cranks on the left in their box too and they are just as authoritarian and dictatorial.

I think Leo is talking rubbish. We can of course put limits on numbers. We control our own immigration policy.

I think the government are just trying to pass the buck here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah shure FF shouldn't even exist anymore after all the damage and corruption they did. Fine Gael somehow rehabilitated them by being more FF than FF ever were. Absolute power corrupts.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Just to clarify AfD are not the second largest party in Germany .

They are currently polling 3rd and rising, this last year, since the Ukraine invasion and rising anti immigration sentiment .

They were 5th in the 2021 GE .

And polled 5th in the regional elections 2023 .

SF as we have seen have not yet come out anti immigration and are going softly softly until they see which way the wind is blowing.

AfD started out liberal conservative eurosceptic in 2013 and went more far right over the next few years , losing some of it's more liberal key members along the way .

They are a danger alright but with the coalition of the other big parties who refuse to recognise them as prospective coalition partners they will have to swing a much higher vote to become a government party .

However Sweden's larger parties accepting their right wing Swedish Democrats as coalition partners has set a precedent, and even though they have not been offered ministerial roles they have a foothold .

Advertisement