Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Will they do the same in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Then how are ones with fake documents, no passports or criminal pasts getting in, there is very little if any deportations

Wow a great answer rebuttal as usual

A refugee is anyone who cannot return to their country for fear of persecution for one of the following five reasons:

1. Race – including ethnicity
    2. Religion – in some countries having no religion is viewed as badly as being of the ‘wrong’ religion
    3. Nationality
    4. Membership of a particular social group – this can include things like membership of a trade union, your gender (i.e. male or female), your sexual orientation
    5. Political opinion – this does not simply mean that you have to be a member of a political party, but if you have any political opinions, or even if people think you do.

Refugees are entitled to be protected against forcible return to their countries of origin

But Ireland of course have no fake or criminal refugees with you Suvi, all here are are good and legal, living comfortably in la la wonderland

Ireland is seen as a soft touch internationally

As far as I knew Ukrainian refugees were not vetted but if you were hosting them in your home, you had to be vetted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, as pointed out it's impossible to have fake refugees.

Could there be refugees with criminal records? Yes, of course there could. It is not a bar to become a refugee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

As I said it was a genuine question , which you have clarified thank you .

There is no need for the aggressive reply. I did read your post . I did not misconstrue or misquote you .

I asked you to clarify. It is a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

"As Minister for Higher Education, Simon Harris told Newstalk he believed, “Student accommodation that is required for students needs to be used for students.”  

“Much of that accommodation receives planning permission on the basis that it will be used for students,” he said. "

I mean are we pretending like most of the other places that are being used, hotels, office blocks etc were given planning permission with the thought that they would be used as long term refugee accommodation?

I don't think student accommodation should be used but where are you gonna put people if you don't put any stop to people coming and never make anyone leave? I assume that theres been no forward planning about what they're gonna do come September when all the student accommodation they were temporarily rented over the summer is no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭paxreseuropa

Okay of course they aren't; and where do they do all of these security checks, out in the middle of the sea when they pick them up off their boats or in the air while they're flying over from the UK after failing in their efforts for asylum over there and now with the added threat of being removed to Rwanda.

• Advertisement

Okay, I apologize for the aggressive tone; I misread your post and took it as being a tad smart, but that's my bad.

I appreciate your interaction and am happy I have clarified any confusion for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Wild to think 60k people are living in hotels and we still have hotels left to service normal tourism.

600 new arrivals a week, the fact we're sustaining it is actually pretty impressive.

But surely the dam is going to burst eventually. We can't house 600 people every week indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You ignore the link I posted that many wanted to return to Ireland and only those in exceptional cases were allowed to remain . Those who have found jobs ,those with no home to return to ,families will have settled here older people need medical care .Generous Welfare payments are just one reason . The NGO's are more notable so any move to return them will be opposed .

They are NOT refugees when they arrive that is determined later look who does not know the difference . This applies to program refugees and Ukrainians only .

I agree with all you have posted and have said similar along the way .

My issue is with posters who consistently frame the whole discussion in terms of illegal immigrants who are rapists and criminals and are just out to milk the state .

Never mind the whole of Europe has seen a massive increase in those seeking asylum ..never mind people gave no option but to live off the state until they are able to speak the language and get a job .

Roderic's naivety and ill judged invitation along with our already dire housing crisis which has been running for the last 10 years is the reason for our present problem and not the fault of these people arriving to our shores , in the main .

I think the government will have to row back temporarily to allow the heat out of this situation .

Ok. Can't help being ' smart ' or perceived as such when countering some claims but appreciate the apology .

People tend to pile on the few people on the thread who don't agree with the main narrative so I thought, " here we go again! "

I do agree with some of your points but not the answer to suvigirl about the checks .

We discussed this earlier on the thread.

All refugees are interviewed, fingerprinted and checked against Interpol and Europol outstanding warrants when they first arrive in the country here or in the first country they arrive in .

Of course its not fool proof as we have seen but it is done .

I'm well aware of what a refugee is, some posters still continue to post lies about who is and who is not.

They do not become refugees without being interviewed, background checks, fingerprinted and photographed.

I know this is directed at another but I will answer .

The fact that we have' generous welfare 'payments has been mentioned by a couple of people not just you.

We do , more than some of our neighbours , but we also have a higher cost of living than many other EU countries.

I would say that point will not be lost on many refugees after a year in Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Plans are underway to give Ukrainians citizenship after being here 3 years . They are building modular homes to house Ukrainians . Remains to be seen how many will return .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

We have a high cost of living but don’t they get assistance for food, medical, transport costs? Not to mention the free accommodation of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

And all they have to pay is 40 euro month for electricity and wifi, you really couldn't make this up.

*coughs* A serial killer from Zimbabwe was arrested here with an Interpol notice

Thank you, I do apologize and have no issue in doing so when I'm wrong; it's a pity more aren't the same.

My main issue with the refugees is the fact that they are unquestionably overwhelmingly adult males and they are from various parts of the Middle-East and North Africa; not only that there is literally no room for them and they are sleeping rough on the streets, they are taking the state to court for failing to provide them with accommodation and living supplies, food, etc., and I believe we were recently hit with a €1.5 Million fine I think by the EU (could be wrong on the issuer of said fine) for our failure to accommodate these "refugees" all the while we have 12,000 people as of March 2023 who are homeless, of which 30% are children.

I don't blame the refugees; I blame the lousy government who hasn't a clue how to get a handle on anything, they're useless gombeens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Seems odd to be annoyed at refugees being from Africa and the Middle East given that these are the areas with some of the worst ongoing conflicts and conditions.

This whole thing about them being adult males really is something that needs to be considered more broadly. Firstly, in conflict situations or other things like it, men are more likely to be seen as targets, more likely to be the victim of violent killing and more likely to be sought as participants in violence. It is also much easier, much safer and less risky for men to endure the difficulties inherent with leaving home and having no solid idea of where you will end up. It also stands to reason that men will often go out first to find safe harbour for their family and in today's world of telecoms they can go with a good degree of confidence that they can contact home at some point.

But instead of thinking about these possibilities, the theme of them being "adult males" is wheeled out with this kind of undertone that it infers something malignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Can't be funding that or useful things like childcare subsidies, fixing healthcare, housing etc. Gotta blow as much of the MNC money as we can on the current refugee industry it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

How would the cost of living effect someone who doesn't have to pay rent, pay for food, pay for utilities, pay medical bills etc?

Even in the modular houses they'll pay 16% of income on rent and €40 a month for electricity, heating, bins and internet.

I'd love to hear your rationale.

• Advertisement

Where exactly did I state I was 'mad' at the refugees. I literally stated that I lay the blame at politicians for the fiasco they've caused in mishandling this issue like they do all others. Don't misconstrue my words to suit your agenda.

Now, whilst there are ongoing conflicts in these regions and people are suffering I think it might be better to get to the root cause of these conflicts and see what they are happening and I think you'll find they are primarily the cause of a certain section of a particular country hell bent on gaining as much power and money at all costs.

Hmmm I don't think so. Men yes are disproportionately expected to go to war and overwhelmingly during wartime more men than anything die, this is undeniable; however, women and children also suffer greatly, possibly even more so as they have to witness their partners, sons, and brothers, etc. being killed in pointless wars, they themselves are routinely subjected to brutal rapes and even torture which sometimes eventually leads to their deaths.

These men are absolute cowards leaving the women and children of their countries to fight-off the attacks of these blood thirsty war lords and also for allowing other men who choose to fight back to protect their families.

As you well know, there are considerable numbers of these men coming from countries where there are no ongoing conflicts, nor credible threats of such conflicts arising in the near future; they are simply economic migrants coming from the UK as they have exhausted all options for gaining asylum there and now leveled with the threat of being sent to Rwanda they are migrating to Ireland instead and chancing their arm over here.

If you're so confident of these men's requests for asylum are genuine then you should open your door to them; but no doubt you won't as you wouldn't want them in your home around your family because you wouldn't trust them; not only that, I can also guarantee that if the government announced they would build a refugee centre or convert a disused building into a refugee centre in your area you'd be one of the first out on the streets protesting against it, demanding your children be protected

Don't go crying to the Guards when you or a family member encounter issues with these "refugees" just sit back and write them a thank you note for being such wonderful people.

Advertisement