Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

Are you keeping score now? How much am I up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Didn’t say you did. You suggested I was only interested in portraying refugees badly, which isn’t true (that’s what a xenophobe would do). You also expressed your exasperation at taking me seriously, despite the fact I’ve only ever posted in good faith here.

”Importing” is a facetious way of saying our controls are so lax as to be akin to importation, sorry if that wasn’t clear.

I didn’t blame you for increasing numbers, nor am I angry.

I am frustrated however in how our national resources are being allocated in the midst of a cost of living, housing and health crisis.

I will certainly look forward with relish to the arrival of any canvassers from said parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Every time I check into this thread I keep thinking about Cuba and the Marielitos - 'Scarface' basically

There is also this brilliant post by greenpilot which was completely ignored by the defenders of this insanity - they did the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears singing laa la la la la la laa

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's all your argument is - oh you are just repeating NGO points. You don't really have any other argument. And the whole "oh there is 33,000 NGOs" frankly shows your arguments as a complete joke. The 33,000 includes schools, hospitals, community centres, football clubs, churches, trade unions, museums, sports centres, disability services, older people's services...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Have you or do you know anyone who stayed in the emergency accomodation.?

I know a few and sleeping on the 3rd or 4th floor in the building he was woke up and told "if you don't stop snoring I feck you out that window".

They are generally not safe and have drug addicts. If I had a car I sleep in that instead for sure.

There was a show years ago on RTE and in hostel the guy was offered to smoke something that was fine. They then laughed as it was heroin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I have raised eyebrows at one or two of the claims he / she is making. He / she says there are more asylum seekers than there are locals in Ballaghaderreen - the population of the town (2016 Census) is 1800 people. The figure of 500 refugees arriving in one day seems mind boggingly high too.

500 Romani people arrived in 1 day last week? Seems like a really dubious claim.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

It is very much true. The number was more like 400, not 500. There are many Roma families there already and they were just added people to the familes who already lived there. The place has become a kip. Most people who don't live close to it don't wanna hear about the gangs that are there, the number of rapes of women by there husbands, the trafficking that has been going on, the news doesn't touch. Not saying you are pro asylum seekers but the crowd that are, completely blow this off as surely not true.

No, you never answered any question I asked you. You just take what you wanted and did the tired nonsense. You are correct NGO's help in that area but there are loads that are complete scams. If you wanna ignore that, go right ahead, doesn't change the fact it is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A Roscommon councillor has said that the town of Ballaghaderreen has become a ‘dumping ground for refugees’, and that “illegal refugees” should be “sent back to where they came from”.

Sinn Féin councillor, Michael Mulligan, said there was a ‘limit to what Ireland can take’ in a Facebook post, according to the Sunday Independent.

Is that supposed to be proof that 500 roma people moved there last week? I'm calling bullsh it on that claim.

Terry Pratchet

Have you a link to some story about a lot of rapes reported there or are you just making that up?

Terry Pratchet

I know Im correct. Your mention of 33,000 is misleading. It's not that NGOs "help in that area" - the 33,000 includes things like schools, hospitals, sports clubs, churches, colleges, disability services, childcare, youth services, older persons services

• The 33,000 includes
    • Sectors
    • 1  Arts, culture, media
    • heritage and visitor attractions
    • media, film museums and libraries
    • 2  Recreation, sports
    • sports organisations
    • recreational clubs, societies
    • agricultural fairs
    • 3  Education, research
    • primary education
    • secondary education
    • education support
    • research
    • adult and continuing education
    • pre-primary education
    • third-level education
    • vocational and technical education
    • 4  Healthhealth services and health promotion
    • mental health services
    • hospitals
    • addiction support
    • residential care centres
    • hospices
    • residential mental health services
    • 5  Social services
    • pre-school childcare
    • family support services
    • services for people with disabilities
    • services for older people
    • youth services
    • services for Travellers and ethnic minorities
    • emergency relief services
    • homelessness services
    • 6  Local development, housing
    • local development
    • job creation
    • social housing
    • social enterprise
    • sheltered housing
    • 7  Environment
    • group water schemes
    • animal welfare
    • environmental enhancement
    • environmental sustainability
    • 8  Advocacy, law, politics
    • advocacy
    • civil and human rights
    • legal services
    • politics
    • 9  Philanthropy, voluntarism
    • fundraising
    • philanthropy
    • voluntarism
    • 10  International
    • international development
    • international affiliation
    • 11  Religion
    • religious associations
    • places of worship
    • dioceses,
    • parishes
    • 12  Professional, vocational
    • professional or sector representative bodies
    • trade unions,
    • employer organisations
    • chambers of commerce

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Im going at this from the other direction. The poor migrants themselves. Most of those male migrants are indeed economic migrants. Theyv'e got sod all education, english and no support network here eg family members/ the family home.

The employers here know this and so you end up with loads of them earning less than minimum wage on construction sites and farmer's fields.

The more migrants we have, the less pressure there is for companies to pay more than the absolute minimum. Link is from 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And where exactly are these Roma families coming from? In their hundreds?

Yeah and the claim that the Ukrainian are not looking for work? Every Ukrainian I have met is working or looking for work! Maybe the workshy ones all ended up in ballaghadereen!

Everyone should have mandatory English lessons when moving here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Pressure coming onto Harris re student accommodation.

Wonder where 1,500 being moved out will be put. That’s a lot of beds to find in a pinch

Yet again you never answer questions I asked you. That's fine. I shall never agree with you and you shall never agree with them.

• Advertisement

I believe most are from Slavic regions. I'm sure not all of them are from there but that's the majority.

If you read what I said. It has not been reported by the media. I am sure you don't think it happened cos sure everyone just makes things up. You don't in this area, I do. I could not care less if you believe it or not doesn't change the fact that it happened. It's a perfect example of what shall happen in other places in Ireland. Put tons of people in areas that are rural with no jobs and not much to do and see how that works out but sure it's no issue to you. Your compassion only seems to sway in one way.

And how do people know? 500 Roma families? It seems very specific when localities are complaining about lack of consultation!

And nothing anywhere about it, just one single person on boards complaining.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Jizique

I'm aware not everything gets reported thanks. I wasn't suggesting that they should report it, but I haven't seen it anywhere, only on boards, by one poster....

And what does my post count or anyone else's have to do with you? Noone deflects genuine concerns, the concerns seem to change everyday........

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't know the area but I think someone from there would know what is happening there which I believe the original poster is

From a quick online search it seems that place has been somewhere asylum seekers and refugees was put since mid 2010s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You can see what’s going to happen by what happened in other countries. People come from cultures that don’t want to integrate or learn the language. They end up being welfare dependent and their kids with poor english fall behind at school. They have fewer opportunities because of this and they become more likely to get into gangs and harbour resentment to society in general. Then the left try and excuse these negatives and cry racism. If you don’t make the effort then society owes you nothing.

This isn't 'ask me anything' you know 🙄 I've met plenty

Well when anyone has an opinion and states a fact you and the other person pop on with some retort so within that I think the number of posts which is over 1000 in 48 days clearly shows you how invested you are in this issue yet don't seem to want to listen to anyone's concerns or truths for that matter. I state something around an area close to me and it's dismissed.

• Advertisement

Integration is a big part. Integration works both ways. Some do not want to for many reasons such as religion etc.

There is always gonna be bigots, homophobic, and racist people in society unfortunately but nothing is ever done to tackle it within communities that for example see homosexuals as wrong.

The man who beheaded those two men in Sligo came here as a child. He grew up and held those awful views against gay people as it is against his religion. Never before in my lifetime has someone been beheaded in Sligo for being gay but bringing up fundamental issues within communities that come here and seek asylum is somehow racist.

Ireland and Europe because of leftist politics seem to think it's fine to come to a country and not integrate. This causes massive issues. If you come from a country where holding awful views for example on gay people is seen as normal and you don't have to integrate how is this ever good for the country.

Advertisement