Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have no idea what someone being attacked has to do with anything but I would be fairly sure that most posters on here wouldn't get involved.

I would intervene, in whatever way I could

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So this all you can say now is it , a personal attack and nonsense about tea parties ?

Where is the proof of your previous statement about Simon Harris ?

What does your' MSM ' article say that is relevant to the discussion/ or adds anything that has not been discussed already ?

Is dumping a link or two and running away hurling insults passing for debate in your book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not sure what any of that has to do with the point. How can you be pretty sure of something when there's no evidence it happened.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No are you ?

I note you don't answer any questions .

Unworthy of any effort really, posters who just link to articles discussed before , that they cannot debate and then try to deflect with anecdotes or insults .

• Advertisement

No, but I do appreciate the concern. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,266 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s fine, it doesn’t have to be anything to do with your question. You don’t control the narrative of the discussion. :)

No I won’t name them because if I’m advocating boycotting a named business on boards, I’ll be in receipt of a warning…

• Registered Users Posts: 86,096 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

You and others on here even with court crime stories links don't believe any do wrong so even witnessing an attack ye probably still would not believe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If some are still here, it doesn't seem that big an issue. They are not criminals, just failed asylum seekers (if they actually were criminals, it's much more likely the authorities would go looking for them to deport them).

Do you back up your posts with article links, I am and it is clear to me Ireland is failing in deportations and entry policy, a complete over haul is needed so a pause on entry would be a good option, we are a small country our services cannot cope with the numbers coming in and staying

• Advertisement

If you make a claim, one like this , where you said Simon Harris said something, it's up to you to back that up, because when you dont, we just don't believe you.

I'm not sure what this is about, if there is a link to a court case why wouldn't people believe it? If course we believe a link to an actual court report.

We have criminals here using different names, fake documents etc., some don't come to AGS attention until crimes committed here

I'm sure crime case links articles have already been posted or "untrue links dumped" as some posters claim

Figures secured by Aontú leader Peadar Tóibín reveal 119 arrivals to Ireland were deported in 2022 with 17 of those coming after a failed International Protection Application (IPA).

Despite record levels of entries, the amount of deportations in 2022 was the third lowest in a decade. In the previous year, just 38 deportations occurred whilst in 2014 there were 110.

The highest year for deportations was 2016 with 428.

Bit of a weird obsession you have there. Do you go trawling news reports for foreign named people in court?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I back up with articles but yet some do not believe, of course criminals everywhere but why should we import more when we have more than enough scumbags already here

I feel I'm going around in a circle, you asked me this before, I know you don't think any refugees or asylum seekers are criminals but some are, court cases have shown this, go back over the thread as case articles posted if not taken down by a mod if still in court

I never suggested that they are not criminals. I'm sure some asylum seekers and refugees are criminals in their own country, quite possibly why some seek asylum/have to leave .

Political prisoners, being on the 'wrong ' side of a dodgy government, refusing to be conscripted into an army, lots of reasons why they may be criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.irishtimes.com/world/europe/2023/07/07/italys-giorgia-meloni-opens-door-to-more-workers-from-outside-the-eu/ Prime minister Giorgia Meloni’s government this week said it would issue 425,000 work permits

• Advertisement

On the run over heinous crimes in their home country and housed in Ireland to commit more crimes, that is very wrong, we should not be importing criminals

Oh noone said that. It's just you are really obsessed and constantly trying to paint all immigrants and asylum seekers as criminals. You even admitted yourself that you are stereotyping. I think you have frenzied yourself up so much with this disturbing obsession that you have an imaginary tattoo with "criminal" on every single non Irish born persons head.

Terry Pratchet

The poster herself admitted in this thread that a lot of the scaremongering she does about foreign born criminals is tarring them all with the same brush. I don't know if it's possible to have a genuine discussion with someone who trawls through Facebook, twitter and Telegram to find stories of criminality of non Irish nationals and admits that this is adversely stereotyping people. That poster also posts stories from social media that can be completely unverified.

We have seen the real life dangers of doing this in Dungarvan and Finglas.

How come you are not highlighting that JP Liz V1 has the behaviour of dismissal and not listening?

Terry Pratchet

Since you edited your post I best reply to this aswel.

I posted about many issues and all our ignore, here is a post that I post yesterday showing how it works on here with your tag team partners. It is painfully clear some posters are involved with companies that help refugees/asylum seekers cos the responses are like something out of a handbook.

8 Percent increase in our population (not including Ukrainians and asylum seekers) since 2016, no bother.

Irish students being kicked out of student accommodation to house asylum seekers, no bother.

100's of men being put into tiny rural areas' increasing populations by 20 percent and more, have you got a problem with men?

People coming here with no passport or identity. Yeah, but they are fleeing prosecution.

Cultural differences. There are no cultural differences, you are just a racist.

Crimes committed by people who arrive here. Yeah, but Irish people commit crimes too.

I could go on but what is the point? You could give many more points but it is always completely ignored and not given an ounce of reality, kind of like how the government treats the general public view on the topic. If you can't see how this is an issue you either are delusional or have skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

It's called capitalism. In general, employers typically want the best workers at the lowest wages to maximise profits.

https://www.bal.com/bal-news/ireland-revisions-requested-for-the-critical-skills-occupations-list-ineligible-list-of-occupations/

That's hardly a conspiracy theory. In Ireland we attract corporations by enabling evasion of the higher corporation tax in other jurisdictions etc. I may be missing something?

Here we go again with the pointless, silly and tiresome - "Yis are all NGO workers" argument again.

Terry Pratchet

Its irrational tbh . Drummed up fear .

We have 2 large refugee accomodation centres near where I live but we have noted zero problems or people hanging around . We had activists here stirring up my elderly neighbours too but we just told them take normal precautions as we would be doing anyway . We don't live in a posh area but fairly settled part of Dublin .

As to your relative I don't know why she is so afraid ? What or who has been upsetting her ? The publications that keep peddling antirefugee stuff are rags . I would be discussing cutting down on reading that maybe .

There was a meeting called by local councillors that helped to assuage doubts and concerns so that would be good if ye can organise in your local area.

The Department of Integration should be doing more, but I guess they are snowed under . No excuse but a human explanation.

We all look out for each other here so I and others in the neighbourhood were so mad when we saw leaflets from the nasties coming through the doors that we got on to our local tds and councillors to sort a local meeting asap . We are ordinary workers, parents , residents , families , nothing special , no particular political persuasion, just don't want those scambigs pushing their narrative where we live .

Some people posting on sm and tweeting and banging on about criminals and rapists among refugees are either activists for or are naive gullible people being fed hyperbole by Irish Freedom Party or the National Party.

Same type of drivel over and over ...

I don't agree what you are saying about @suvigirl because we are all adults here ( or should be ) and everyone is entitled to post reasonable and rational opinions or debate . And on both sides, I agree .

If people chose one of those farright parties to vote for , then that is on them and their own issues. We all know where that stuff leads to and it isn't good .

You can't blame a poster on boards for not being empathetic enough with people she is debating with . What do you expect ,a hug ?

I give her credit for coming back here and replying politely and with good information most of the time . I don't agree with you at all there .

What I have problems with are the repetitive refugee bashing posts with nothing but nonsense and bigotry to back it up .These are the ones out to wear people down . I know I can't be bothered to post back to some who go over the same thing over and over again , posting the same links about the same criminals and ignore everything anybody on the other side post except to take out of context .

Now that is annoying , but will it make me veer in a different political direction just to spite them ? Eh , no !

Same happened where I live. Lots of Facebook rumours about crime rising in the locality. local police went on local radio highlighting how most of the rumours were fake.

Terry Pratchet

If it isn't such a big deal then why are you on forums posting about it? Surely if it's not a big issue and we all just far-right bigots why bother come on here then? I mean you think we are all far-right yes?

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement