Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

But but but...they're just lovely human beings, they don't need to be vetted nor as an island nation, do we need strong border controls. We really don't need to know who is in this country nor do any background checks on them, it'll be grand!! Until it's not, which was like 15 to 20 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What way was it 15/20 years ago?

Who would you suggest vetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

'' How many asylum applicants have there been this year? '' Do you enjoy playing dumb. You dont know these stats are available on the IPO website after all your posts on immigration !! looks like you are playing ban baiter .

The number of Ukrainians coming continues to rise 91k not much reporting about it .

https://data2.unhcr.org/en/situations/ukraine

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

He said we dont need to do vetting it will be grand cant you read . !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

That is the most idiotic argument on this thread. I have unlimited data on my phone plan, so if I use 10k this month, 17.5k last month and 25.5k next month, can I phone 3 and tell them my plan is “hardly unlimited”??

We've been told multiple times by our politicians that there will be no limit put on the amount of Ukrainians coming here. That is the very definition of unlimited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

The 2001 census recorded the population of Ukraine as 48,457,100 people.

There hasn't been a census since 2001 but if we use that figure the upper limit is 48,457,100 which is not unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

This issue is Ireland's ability to take in people is very finite, the government are suggesting it's infinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

One solution might be to increase participation in official UN refugee programmes. Here, fully vetted refugees are relocated from refugee camps to the host country. The vetting process I have heard takes about a year and is done by UN agencies.

The advantage of this is that those who are poor but in need of refuge are catered for rather than the better off who can afford to support criminal smuggling gangs.

Example of the process at work:

https://www.unhcr.org/news/news-releases/un-high-commissioner-refugees-welcomes-albanian-offer-humanitarian-admission-210

Here, Albania have taken 210 vetted refugees direct from a camp in Iraq. No perilous land and see journey. No funding of criminal gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Your argument is also stupid and id suggest you look at your three contract. And I reckon that you do not have unlimited data but have an acceptable usage limit.

Funnily that has nothing to do with this topic but your story starts with a false assumption which I guess has similarities with most of the opinions presented in this thread.

• Advertisement

We do take people directly from camps, dept of foreign affairs and gardai travel to interview, photograph and fingerprint potential travellers before they are taken.

I agree we should do more

“Is 3 unlimited data actually unlimited?

Yes, Three's unlimited data plans really are unlimited. Unlike some networks there are no fair usage restrictions and no speed caps.” 

Wrong again Robbie. At least you’re 100% consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Interesting article in today’s Sunday Times about Lisdoonvarna. Population has doubled there with 1100 Ukrainians and 100 IOP applicants. Tourist trade is way down as all the hotels are housing Ukrainians. Doesn’t even help local businesses as one Ukrainian is quoted as saying most of them shop in Aldi, Ennistymon 12km away because local shops are too expensive.

Would you be happy if measures were taken to reduce or eliminate inward migration from unvetted asylum seekers supporting criminal gangs and the money and resources saved put into increasing the number taken in through official UN programmes?

Wouldn't bother me, the only thing is that you cannot stop people from claiming asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...irish citizens are hardly shopping more and more in such businesses to, due to the rising cost of living, and citizens, including irish native citizens are hardly employed by such also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I think the point here is because there are no tourists, there are no impulse quick small purchases from tourists. Tourists wouldn't usually head off to a Lidl 12km away for sanitary products or a bread roll! Small convenience stores are just that, convenience, especially for tourists. We've all used these small shops when stuck or away for the day.

And no doubt those people are getting free transport to Ennistymon go shop.....

Well no, but there are things we could do to reduce claims many of which turn out to be bogus, thus freeing up resources to help those with genuine need.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i understand that, but you d be surprised what some tourists do and dont do, many tourists would in fact seek out the cheaper options, as the cost of living is in fact a wide scale problem, way beyond ireland. im just back from my own holidays, in order to cut down my costs, i actually brought some of my own food, as even the cheaper options were/are more expensive than irish outlets. many tourists know this, and behave accordingly, we no longer live in an era of limited knowledge, an enormous amount of this information is shared on the internet, many tourists know what they ll be dealing with in their destination of choice

Such as? I mean the system seriously needs to be sped up, like people coming from certain countries are dealt with quickly.

this year we have half the amount of asylum seekers that we had last year, how could we reduce it?

• Advertisement

One of the reasons processing slow is because of the the volume of claims so part of the solution has to be reducing numbers making those claims, in particular those with bogus claims.

One approach would be to have better checks at airports. Airlines, in addition to preventing those with false or no passports boarding, should gather information from those passports and pass it on to the Irish authorities. That way, we can know who is traveling if they destroy their passport en route. Asylum claims should not be entertained from those that do destroy their documents after boarding and should be then deported.

This would close up one channel.

What methods would you suggest for reducing bogus asylum claims from being made in Ireland? I think we can agree that it is necessary to do this as failing to do so takes away resources from helping those genuinely in need.

Yeah I think airlines should be doing more, I think they currently can be fined when a passenger arrives with no documentation, perhaps that needs to be increased.

Only 25% of applicants made their claim at Dublin airport however, 75% were made at the office for international protection in Dublin. 40% of arrivals at Dublin had no documentation, so 40% of 25% probably isn't that many people.

I think the long delays in dealing with claims is the biggest issue. We could quite easily have a system where applicants are housed in centres near the airport until claims are dealt with. But we cannot have that when claims take years, as it's like imprisoning applicants.

Speed up the system, it would make a big difference.

Other than that, I have no idea how you can stop people making claims for asylum here, it's an attractive country, so maybe if we weren't so successful, people wouldn't come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The system is wrong and continues to be so.

How can this man spend 11 months in DP after spending 11 years in the UK?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-29-accused-of-extremely-violent-attack-on-two-women-granted-bail-1514622.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The celebration by Irish media in their push to legitimize open borders and illegal immigration continues. 'You feel anti-immigrant sentiment is getting worse. But it’s always been there' writes Imasha Costa of the Irish Examiner. Costa is a Sri Lankan journalist criticizing Irish attitudes to immigration and Irish people for daring to have an opinion on the direction their country is going and telling people what they should feel. She of course uses the extreme end of accusation and presumptions as well as the tropes often associated with a particular minority. She does everything but speak to Irish people. Why should Ireland be any different from her native Sri Lanka’s Dept of Immigration and Emigration Mission & Objectives? In the past week alone we have seen the following:

• 34 Nigerians arrested in Ireland as part of Interpols Operation Jackal, targeting West African crime syndicate with Ireland bring a stronghold.
    • Two Albanians & a Romanian man charged over €4.2m drug seizure in Cork
    • Georgian national accused of stabbing fellow asylum seeker in a "completely unprovoked attack" at Wicklow direct provision centre
    • Brazilian tourist with €17k of drugs after Gardai spot him cycling erratically, court hears
    • A Europol report contains evidence that Ireland may be increasingly regarded as a logistical base for Islamic extremists.
    • Algerian male (29) accused of 'extremely violent' attack on two women granted bail
    • Brazilian national illegally in the state allegedly caught with MDMA, ecstasy tablets, cannabis, ketamine, cocaine, diamorphine, alprazolam & LSD worth €60k

Costa turns to Lucky Khambule of Movement of Asylum Seekers in Ireland (MASI) who attempts to lecture Irish people on their own history, but instead he just outright disrespects the people. It, is not the first time a foreign national has tried rewriting our history in an attempt to gaslight…

"People forget that seeking protection is legal and a right for people. We have been reminding the Irish people, especially those that seem to have forgotten their history. They left this country when it was not good for them. In years back, they left this country and sought refuge and some of the people made those countries their own.”

Khambule who is a regular on all MSM hotspots is a failed asylum seeker who had both of his applications denied. He was issued with one of Ireland's infamous deportation orders and then was issued with a ‘leave to remain’ as a result of his refusing to ‘self deport’. And yet here he is on the taxpayer's tit working at the top of an NGO he co-founded with another bogus asylum seeker from South Africa who worked in the Irish Refugee Council. The Irish Examiner is now tasked with deflecting from the major immigration issues. They have to work for that 0% VAT the government like the rest of the rags

The other day Ex Fine Fail MEP Barry Andrew was in the Journal.ie taking a swing at what he sees as “several false narratives surrounding migration and asylum seeking” and the “common views and misconceptions” around immigration. He attempted to state how Ireland is “not full” & how Ireland is capable of taking in more economic migrants by comparing our population to the UK & Netherlands. I wouldn't waste your time reading the article, its just another empty-headed opinion piece. But oddly enough his wife Sinead McGrath BL, is an asylum solicitor that received more than €1,140,832 for briefs from the Attorney General's office to fight asylum applications between 2009-2014. In 2009 she received €263,221 from the State, entirely for asylum cases alone. That's some earner. I can see Andrew’s grift alright.

The agenda makes money.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Whats the point,

Photographs and fingerprints do what exactly

There's no one single solution. Airports and deporting those known to have destroyed documents on their flight would be one solution. Every little bit frees up resources to help genuine refugees and thwarting criminal gangs.

We can also learn from countries like Denmark who also successfully reduced numbers quite dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Data: Your Price Plan comes with the All you Can Eat Data service in the Republic of Ireland. The EU fair use policy is applied in respect of the All you Can Eat Data service and the EU Roaming Allowance above is calculated in accordance with the EU fair use policy.

👆😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

That is a staggering amount of money... No pro bono there you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

That is a horrible case. What war is going on in Algeria? And that judge granting bail for a mere 100 euros.

The Garda said he was a flight risk. I wish he would take a flight back to where he bloody came from. Unfortunately he'd probably make a short hop to the UK.

There is no other word to describe that judge other than idiot. A complete idiot 🤬

• Advertisement

It’s an Irish contract. It’s unlimited in Ireland. Of course roaming is going to be different.

What a stupid “gotcha”. Pointless even trying to debate with you.

Advertisement