Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fair play to the Rural Indepenents, they are the only ones who aren't afraid to speak up.

Posh Holly was talking down to them like a parent giving out to a naughty child, hopefully the folks down in Cork dump her out in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Really taking a turn against Holly, it's like all the party leaders want to one up each other as the most liberal leader. Irish citizens elect you to represent us. Of course we want to help out people as much as we can. But we've reached a limit for now. For Christ sake why can't they realize this?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

No we won't, there won't be anyone left there alive by the time Israel is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Goes to show you the out of touch idiot politicians are closing this debate off asap.

Come election time those should be remembered.

Elected by the people, totally disregard the people when in power.

• Advertisement

O Riordain shouting the odds as well, another guy who needs to get dumped out in the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Unfortunately it's never remembered. The guy that fixed your road tends to get voted back in. There is no alternative available. All, and I mean all of the parties are the exact same. There is no left and no right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Yeah that’s been luckys mantra for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

He is embarrassing himself on a regular basis. He has reduced himself to troll level. They are shouting because they don't believe what they are saying, it's a dead giveaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I am really struggling to understand it. I’m trying but failing to imagine some scenario in my own life where I would act in a comparable way, just to try and understand what’s driving it. Completely divorced from reality and refusing to engage in any discussion. Is it some sort of avoidance mechanism? Manufacture this situation so they don’t have to deal with the problems they should be solving? I really don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭bloopy

The independents have set the cat amount the pigeons.

It is clear that there will be no change if they won't even debate the issue.

If the current parties refuse to even countenance a debate, then it is inevitable that somebody else will.

Those that use this issue to gain support may not be the nicest people in the world but they'll have a platform all to themselves.

I was elected by the people of Dublin bay North, 10+ counts later 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

He'll be grand, himself and the wife are multimillionaires by now I'm sure well removed from the chaos.... How is this policy he's cheerleading impacting on the labouring classes, once the voter base of the Labour Party I wonder? ... A snapshot of what passes for "debate" in the national Parliament today👇shameless crew

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

He’ll probably retain his seat, his vote comes from places such as Clontarf and Howth so what can go wrong? As far as I know there are no Direct Provision Centres in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Government brought it on themselves dumping so many in Kerry, and then agreeing to consultation before just backpedalling and dumping more when no one was looking. Like the Healy-Raes weren't going to start ****.

Then the clowns like Paul murphy and Mick Barry, Wah-Wah Far right and Wah-Wah Conor McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why would you expect any different? Which of the main parties was promising 'restrictive' immigration policies in their pre-election mamifestoes? You seem to be envisaging some sort of consultative democracy, where political parties have to respond to opinion polls or radio phone-ins or whatever but that's not how our system works: parties set their stalls our pre-election, then the ones elected to government act as they fit, and voters deliver their verdict at the subsequent election. Parties often find it expedient to be guided by the latest opinion polls but they are not under any democratic obligation to do so. The only involvement of the voter in the process that has any standing is in the ballot box. If you want political parties to pursue 'immigration control' you need to vote for ones that are explicitly promising to do so.

"Ireland of the hundred thousand welcomes" O Callaghan said during her soft interview with Lucky from South Africa and that other one whoever she was on Prime Time last night.

Just proves how out of touch the D4 media is with the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

My wife and I have many times discussed how we might vote next year; we expect a lot of the established candidates won't dare canvass at all- it'll be a "sorry we missed you" card shoved through the letter box and run away we suspect. We've had "caretaker" government since Covid- don't make decisions/ don't take decisive action,just throw money at it. 2024 will be a very interesting year....

The Tonight Show should be interesting at 10.20

Danny Healy Rae and Mr Lucky on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

wont bothar me arse watching it. Lucky will have the backing of the host and healy-rae will be made out to be the far right. Ireland the land of 100000 welcomes…

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

She's a Social Democrat i.e. a Progressive Leftist, so why would you be surprised that she thinks this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Not do much surprised, more like fed up with people like her and O'Riordan. Shouting down and stifling debate. Like how dare anyone raise these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Lucky blocked me on Twitter after I asked him on the MASI page what I thought was a reasonable question “given the huge difference in size between the African continent and Ireland do you not accept we can only accommodate so many from there”

No doubt he’s on Virgin media now giving out about Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

These tools (Labour, SD's) are in for some shock come election time - Talk about failing to read the room

I didn't mention FG and the Greens there as it's a given they're toast imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It looks like with well over 10% of the total refugees and assulum seekers who arrived with the last 2 years in Ireland are accomadated in kerry ,I am wondering what odds are Paddy Power giving for 3 or more Healy-raes elected in the next general election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

These idiots need to be destroyed in the next GE. I wont vote if there's no alternative(which may be the case) but if that's the case I'll join protests.

If hate speech locks me up, so be it, I'll take it, 1 less tax payer contributing, 1 less walking ATM from the government's perspective and I'm 100% willing to get locked up for BS reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

OK but you're avoiding the point here. You said you would vote for a party that showed "intent" to achieve those things you want, so presumably if a Far Right party was the only party showing that intent then you would vote for them. Is that a misrepresentation of your point?

• Advertisement
Advertisement