Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Deleted post, wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Will the new reduced rate of welfare for Ukrainian migrants effect only new arrivals ,Are we heading towards a 2 tier welfare system of financial support for migrants .

Will Roderic only make up the rules as we go along?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Damien360

This is correct. They are trying to appease the people complaining at the door by saying they have reduced the amounts but forget to say it's only for the newest arrivals. I'd lay a bet that some of those will end up in court at our expense to get the higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We'd end up with friends on different tiers and that would be awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

Let's assume they are not given a phone, I wouldn't have a problem with the refugees already here being given a phone if they can't afford one. It will decrease isolation, help them learn english and expand their ability to get employment.

However, the free phones or sim cards, whether there's veracity to these claims or not, is a red herring.

The people arriving here are using the same pool of doctors, nurses, teachers and housing as everyone else. Apple make over 200 million iPhones a year. We're building 30 thousand homes a year. I doubt the number of doctors, nurses and teachers graduating each year and staying in Ireland is keeping up with the population growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What’s your opinion on the rest of the benefits they receive?

Do you agree with the recent changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Madd002

Ukrainian started with us about a month ago, no English had to use Google translate to communicate, anyhow he landed after a week with forms from social welfare for part time workers, I explained he worked full time 5 days. Kept telling me via phone I need these today, I filled them out but had to write notes beside questions as he wasn't here that long.eg. Why was his hrs reduced, do you expect his hrs to increase etc.

Today he lands with 3wks worth of x & o forms for me to fill in, so I did, it runs Wednesday to Tuesday so I coloured in 5 days on all 3, he then wanted this weeks and next weeks to give before Xmas, I told him it was illegal for me to fill forms in advance as circumstances may change ie call in sick etc. I also told him he wouldn't be entitled to anything as he's worked 5 days every week since he started, he tells me they need forms so they can process payment before they close for xmas.

we have another full time girl, she works full-time also, but she has never given me any forms, wonder was this 5"10 strapping lad advised by someone, also he's fighting age, so don't know why he's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I'm sure we'll be seeing increased numbers piling into the country before the "cuts" begin in the new year too

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Madd002

The way it was portrayed in the media everyone thinks cuts are gonna happen & airports be full of them leaving in January freeing up space for island residents, until i tell them no its newcomers only, the look on their face, everyone is sick of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Tis a pig dressed up in a frilly costume to fool the masses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Ahh I can't wait until the canvassing begins, it will be glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Me too! First question is...what is your policy on mass immigration to Ireland? If they don't have a simple, straight answer...it's good riddance to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

You are trying to rationalise the irrational. That is the challenge with this immigration topic. You can be pilloried on here for attempting to introduce some rational discourse based on a real world context.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

They won't do any legit work greater than 19 hours as they would be in danger losing all their benefits like medical card etc.

Puts in context the notion about them working doesn't it?

I have said before, I have lived in Ukraine and speak intermediate Russian, so I'm aware of things that they may not tell other English speaking people.

There are exemptions for Males to Leave Ukraine.

One of them is if you are looking after an elderly or disabled person - from what I see this exemption has been taken advantage of.

Another element is straight forward bribery of Ukrainian border control/Govt Officials.

I'm aware of two cases (told to me by the draft dodgers themselves) where they they had paid thousands of US$ for a fake cert from a corrupt doctor to say they had a fake disease exempting them from military service.

Mods are probably going to claim I'm being anecdotal, but ffs here's a link to a BBC News article corroborating what I've just said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67120904

If right was right all Males should be sent back to Ukraine - we should not be taken for fools.

Also as I've said in other posts; drop the welfare to ~€40 for ALL Ukrainians - this would strongly encourage them to work and stop all the nonsense you've detailed there.

The current situation re welfare for Ukrainians is bananas.

Some tough love is needed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's a great country to be sure, as long as you're not a middle income taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

"The hotel is looking for staff and some of them were asked to apply. All refused"

If they are considered suitable to work but refuse they should have their payment stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

We can't even deport people who have been issued a deportation order. We hate no one as a country our government welcomes all no matter what you have done or not done ,what you're going to do or not going to do. It's lottery migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

Sounds like these Russians should be put top of the visa revocation and deportation list promptly, after all Russia is a great place to live they claim

Thats at least 10,000 houses right there then freed up for average poor Mairead and Joe whose dole and housing is being used up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭airy fairy

You would think, but imagine the outcry. The 'racists' reported the Ukrainians to the social because they won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

The tax payers will keep paying for it, they have no say on the matter as all opposition parties back the current policies.

As some people on various threads have hinted, if the war in Gaza continues to get worse there is a high chance we will have to take a hundred thousand refugees from there in a very short period of time. If people think things are bad now if that happens it will be a different level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Exactly. The cultural conflict and differences will be monumental when that eventually happens, and you'll have many from neighbouring countries hopping on the same bus over here. Ukraine does not get anywhere near the same amount of pushing as Palestine does these days, so it'll be a worse scenario when it eventually happens. Don't be under any illusion that most that would come from Palestine will not adhere to our customs and cultures, it'll be demanded that they get what they want and no doubt the government will bend over backwards for them, with the rainbow-haired folk backing them.

Watch many towns turn Birmingham-style where it'll be unrecognisable in 10 years. I think all these virtue signallers parading Palestine flags or putting them in their avatars like the good little lads they are, will get a slap in the face when they realise what cultures they are supporting, in general, when it's right in front of them 24/7 and not over some glorified tik tok video.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ah lads some women were removed locally for helping some of the local bachelors 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Won't happen yet. We still have to take another 100,000 Ukranians to take in. Once we are finished all them 4 star hotels. Then FG/FF and Roddy with an updated white paper is going to solve world hunger and injustice in partnership with immigrant NGO's. Once that is done, theres a wee problem on Rigel 5 in a far away galaxy. Lads really feel the need to hand out tents there as show of solidarity. Then, we'll take in the unfortunate Palestinians...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I dunno. Leo is making lots of noise about the Palestinian/Israeli situation at the moment (intended to boost his profile as usual) and talking about 2-state solutions in the press. Aside from him probably digging another hole for himself by commenting on what is a complex and long-standing issue, it won't surprise me at all if he announces some sort of assistance/resettlement programme on the back of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

And more tax dollar. I'll have to start getting up earlier in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

That’s a good question, seems fellow Arabs/Muslims who are quite prosperous don’t want to follow what their Koran teaches and help their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Leo loves people that get up early in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It would be helping Israel in the ethnic cleansing of the place. The Israelis would love nothing better than to drive all 2m people out of Gaza and replace them with Israeli settlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

I agree with you on this, if little else on this thread. Plus there's the history of Palestinians as refugees in other countries. Black September in Jordan, the Lebanese Civil War in Lebanon, supporting Saddam Hussein's invasion in Kuwait etc. That's another reason why Arab countries who share the same religion and similar culture are wary of them.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Advertisement