Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What exactly do you think you are contributing to the thread by making up something nobody said.

Why would you waste your time making up lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

It was simply a tongue in cheek nod to the kind of hyperbole that goes on about refugees. You surely knew that though? You can ignore or you can double down on the perceived time wasting by snapping back.

It was a lie that adds nothing to the discussion.

Someone might read that and believe posters have said that.

It's important to point out when someone is posting lies and misinformation.

The people in favour of illegal immigration are very vocal about misinformation being bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

The two posters I was replying to clearly show what happens when you bring it up. When presented with what has happened from a source they can't discredit they completely ignore it or try to downplay it - instead of accepting it was a disaster that we shouldn't be trying to replicate. I assume they just refuse to read it, or maybe gang wars and 'Vulnerable' high violence areas are some of the benefits we have to look forward to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

I haven't seen anyone say they are in favour of illegal immigration. You could call that part of your post a lie if you were to be nasty. What some people are not in favour of is painting all refugees as deviants intent on scamming and raping. Of course immigration is not being handled correctly but that is the fault of the government. The sight of a gang of yahoos chanting 'get them out' outside a hotel is sickening to me and the bullshit I hear about refugees being handed a cushy life was all I was slagging in the post. I didn't say anyone on the thread said refugees were handed cars but I have heard this spouted in real life. Perhaps my narkiness should have been kept to myself but calling me a liar spreading misinformation is a bit of a stretch.

• Advertisement

Several posters here refuse to criticise any crimes by illegals and say we have criminals here already.

Those posters are in favour of illegal immigrants.

I have yet to see a poster say all refugees are scammers and rapists.

I have seen people point out they come from countries with backwards views towards women and for illegals who destroy documents could be fleeing a crime elsewhere.

Those are facts that people who are in favour of immigration don't like to hear.

If you can quote posters saying what you said fair enough but I haven't seen any.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This isn't what I said. It's dangerous to spread fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Our media has failed not only in airing anti-immigration views, but also of properly exploring the viewpoints of those on the pro-immigration side. In recent days we have seen some on the far left and NGO spokespeople condemning the deportation of a small number so far this year.

They are opposed to any and all deportations, and by implication refuse to discriminate between genuine asylum seekers, and downright opportunists. When you properly follow through this mentality to its logical conclusion, then anyone who wants to come here is welcome. No exceptions.

It is also apparent they view the local Irish, even in disadvantaged areas, as somehow privileged compared to migrants, so are therefore less deserving of sympathy or taxpayer's money than the newcomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Do you think having 180k refugees by year end (government estimate) is sustainable?

I cannot accept they'll eat the swans as a response! Ta in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why build for them here when the money goes a lot further in their own country?

Anyway it is not just building infrastrucutre for them that will cost, it is lifetime cost of providing state services and social welfare for a good chunk of them.

They offer us nothing but expense and social problems as can be see throughout Europe.

Stop conflating immigration with the farce that is going on with so called refugees and asylum seekers

Or how they are now described as "those seeking internaitonal protection".

What a fooking mouthful to describe for the most part a fooking chancer..

This open borders mullarkey is not the only thing people are concerned about, it leads into lack of services, lack of school places, increased accommodation costs due to increased demand, loss of jobs in tourism which is now coming down the road very quickly.

You are deluded if you believe the media are representative of the views of the majority of Irish people.

The Peter Casey presidential election was a pointer to that and it has only gotten worse since then.

Young people, as in those in mid to late 20s and early 30s, are concerned that they can't rent a place to live never mind buy one.

Then they watch thousands of so called "refugees" and "immigrants" arrive, being accommodated and being told they will be housed in the future.

It is cr** like that makes people quite quickly become less liberal and more conservative in their thinking.

What do you expect from a party led by that eejit from Trinity.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's important to point out when someone is posting lies and misinformation.

The taliban are obviously sending believers to Europe to carry out terrorist attacks.

I completely agree. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not really what I'm referring to. I'm more referring to the modern cookie cutter liberalism that is pervasive across media today - there is no diversity of opinion particularly on social issues even on the left, nevermind the almost non existent right.

One person posted here that the reason for this is because a right doesn't exist here. That's obviously and demonstrably not true: Almost 4 in 10 voter's rejected marriage equality for example.

To return to my point, the reason that the media is the way it is is because over time one opinion has risen to the top of the ranks and has reinforced that. Anne Harris was once the editor of the independent, imagine having a right leaning opinion as a junior member of staff writing under her - given the drivel she published in the IT this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Even when the government came out and said there was going to be no cap on Ukrainian refugees I thought it was a bit mental. At the end of the day we are only a small country and thought should have been put into how much we could realistically take while ensuring services weren’t being impacted on for the locals, but I guess that would have made too much sense for the government.

This government is entirely ideologically driven with not a second thought given on practicality’s, even as I type this post big Roddy O’G is on the radio saying people are being “taken advantage of” by the Far Right. Absolute condescending rubbish, at least the narrative seems to be shifting from just labelling everyone against the unlimited influx as “Far Right” Do they really think they can pull the wool over people’s eyes with this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Those particular NGO,s are nothing more than people smugglers with a respectable PR department

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Would a zero refugee policy work both ways though?

Presumably that means we can't expect countries like Georgia and Albania to take Irish citizens that seek refuge in those countries.

I don't think many would have issue with that tbh.

That’s what I thought they meant as well which is frankly a ridiculous notion. Not many Irish refugees banging about 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

First of all, I don’t know why they automatically call them refugees. Secondly, I haven’t looked into whether these are people who instantly claim asylum upon arrival or whether they have been caught overstaying their visas.

2021 figures - The only 3 countries in the world that citizens of Ireland have claimed asylum in are - Australia, Canada & US of A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Wonder how many of them are "new Irish" citizens, can't imagine an Irish born person claiming asylum abroad?

Persons involved in gangland feuds springs to my mind first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Any documentation of this? It sounds odd to be honest. Gangsters aren't exactly law abiding types, and are more likely to just land in whatever country they chose and stay on illegally.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

There's thousands of "undocumented" illegal Irish in those 3 countries. Maybe when they get caught the best chance of staying is claiming asylum if they have kids ect there

It’s just a guess on my part. I think I asked the same question years back - if you get one of those knocks on the door from the Gardai saying there’s a threat to your life, can you claim asylum in another country based on it? Dunno if I got an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For example: The Irish Diaspora.

'Asylum for me not thee'

Will Ireland reap what it sows, in the near future or the far future, for a zero refugee plan? And hasn't it already reaped the benefit of nonzero refugee plans all over the world?

Back to this aul chestnut again. What number are we on the Refugees Welcome bingo?

Putting aside the fact that the current situation of chancers from the likes of Albania, Georgia, Zimbabwe, South Africa etc destroying their documents on arrival is nothing like the Irish who went to America, Britain and the like during the famine, the ancestors of the Irish people here today are the ones that stayed and built the country instead of running away.

The Irish diaspora were not refugees. They were economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

50,000+ Irish in america, undocumented as well. Round them up? Deport them?

How many in Ireland from these places?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

It's been a few days since the last Irish people emigrated too post. That'll definitely show us that piling refugees into underpriveleged areas with no housing or anything is the way to go. Tent villages for all!

Advertisement