Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Communication wouldn't actually change anything other than allow opposition to mobilise - that's why it's near absent.

The issue is that government have a aspirational policy of offering best in class AS provision, but lack the capacity to deliver this. Very few communities want AS provision anywhere near them. It has resulted in people arriving here and becoming homeless. It's not a community failure, it's a policy failure.

Policymakers need to get real and start implementing workable instead of aspirational policy, and perhaps forget about moving onto the big intergovernmental or NGO job when they're done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

That imo has been the biggest mistake made by O'Gorman. To publish that in every language. No doubt pressure from Irish based Immigrant NGO's had influence it and maybe he was trying to appease them. But promising someone their own front door is ludicrous when we had a housing list the length of Cork. It's a document that should be taking down (for now) until we can figure out how we manage this better long term.

Though I do hope that O'Gorman is shown the door at the next section. He smacks of arrogance in dealing with the rural communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes . Naivety, and completely ill advised.

Funny that ...

Almost completely takes the pressure off the Ministers for Housing and Health and Social Preotection , doesn't it?

Hardly a whisper about those areas now , except from some opposition tds who, in fairness to them , have never been distracted from the other issues.

Firstly you on NGO rant again !

Secondly , O'Gorman and the Greens are gone for the next decade at least not only because of AS policy . They have beena thorn in most people 's side , except the minority that vote Green , for the last few years and are increasingly irrelevant now other parties have caught up with the Green Agenda , imo of course .

He has been a bad minister, full stop, and I blame Leo and MM for not replacing him but they would not have wanted to rock the boat in the coalition , as well as enjoying the relative ' peace ' he gave from public distraction for some of their more embattled ministers .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

What are you on about? You do realise rural Galway houses the workers for the biggest hub of medical device companies in Ireland? Talking as if everywhere outside Dublin is a famine-era soup kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Its a typical FF and FG move to shaft the smaller party. If I was a smaller party I would be wary of going into government with them. We have seen the PD's, Labour and now the Greens destroyed by going into power with these 2. Smaller parties need to be a lot stronger in government and not fall for the old line "The public won't forgive you for pulling down the government". I think it would be the opposite and that they would gain the publics support and trust if they did pull the government down.

?

Sorry can you rephrase that and tell me why you are directing that to me ?

It was @thomas 123 that should be credited with that discussion ;)

I do know they were elected btw .

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus.

First up, no, the Ukrainians are under the Temporary Protection directive. They are not in under IP

Second, if some company wants to give a free sim card with a free month's usage to capture more market share, then that's hardly something for you to worry about..................The mobile phone networks used to do the same kind of promotion years ago for college students etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So give us the figures if you're so sure of your argument. What proportion of refugees and asylum seekers are currently housed in the cities of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway compared to what are being placed forcibly in rural areas and small towns.

I could barely believe my eyes last summer as I came down a remote boreen through bog lands in the west to meet a small group of African people. They couldn't have been more out of context on a pissy rainy day.

Do you realise that this policy is having a severe effect on domestic tourism. It directly affects the income of many Irish people as there is little or no accommodation at reasonable costs for visitors. I've lost business because of it. Maybe you don't care as someone else pays your wages. Maybe you don't care about domestic tourism as you jump on a plane two or three times a year to get out this god forsaken place? Maybe you don't care that a generation of 20-30 yr old Irish citizens are leaching away as they see no future here.

Agree . But he has made himself a willing scapegoat.

I do think they as a party are irrelevant, but again that is my opinion .

• Advertisement

But DT , don't you know that capitalism is only acceptable if used for the common good ,lol, and according to some that is not helping IPAs or AS !

As if capitalism ever looked to align itself with 'the common good ' of course ;)

It is mad stuff indeed

Yes we have heard this anecdote from you before.....many times .

Sad that you have to recount your ONE incident of " meeting a group of African people " on such a thread , over and over.

And you think this highlights how ASs should be elsewhere?

Can poc not enjoy the countryside too ?

AND as a mother of that age group you are talking about I can assure you that any with an ounce of cop on don't blame AS or IPAs for the lack of housing etc . They blame the government .

Which is what a lot posting here used to do until it became fashionable on boards to kick asylum seekers .

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Thee seem to be a few "NGO adjacent" posters on this and similar threads alright.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

i have nothing against NGO’s but i do get frustrated when nick henderson is constantly criticising our efforts. when is enough enough for him? half a million, a million?

Does he not realise that we have problems that we struggle to get on top… i’ve no time for this government they are a **** show but they did throw a lot taxpayer’s money at this issue what more does henderson want?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Something people might not be factoring in is there may be a fair bit of "Nimbyism" going on i.e. the communities are not anti-immigration or right wing per se, but just don't want change or disruption to their local set up.

Which would actually be very bad news for any right wingers who think they have suddenly amassed hundreds of thousands of fellow travellers. Nimby types will probably keep on voting for FF and FG regardless.

Why post this without a proper reference or quote..... so that it could snake on by ?

You know I don't work for one as I have clearly stated before. But keep on trying to discredit a poster by telling fibs ..

Your go to is to blame NGOs for all of life's ills which is just ignorant because it has been shown countless times how NGOs in Ireland do the work that government can't or won't do , and are mainly all our charitable and NOT FOR PROFIT organisations without whom our country would fold and people who need their help (vulnerable Irish people mostly would have noone to advocate for them

Now I will direct you back to the list of agencies that you obviously didn't read the last time you made this ill thought out argument and when you have read the list , come back to me and tell me if we can do without them ....

And you believe that every poster who disagrees with your views are NGOs ? ;)

I won't leave a comment go by like that if I disagree with it just to suit you .

That is ONE person , not all NGOs , but at least it's more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

There are legit issues and there are legit protests ... but spreading lies and hatred aimed to divide people is not anything but the far right ... being against govt and being for violence on our streets are 2 totally different things by the way ... no decent person will condone the type of violence in Dublin a month ago or that terrorist fire attack in Galway ... that solves nothing and it is clear very sinister forces are at play here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How are you trying to say the fire in the Galway hotel solved nothing ,For one thing it solved the problem of 70 migrants moving into the small comunity there and there will probably be alot more of these incidents if the govenment do not heed local communities concerns!

There you go again… please collate all my posts that says I blame all of ‘life’s ills on NGO’s’. I wait with patience.

Go ahead. Post your list of of NGO’s if you like. I’m only interested in talking about two of them. But you know this.

And you believe that everytime I drop a comment on NGO’s it is ‘ranting’. A real stretch if you ask me. You seem to take great offence when I make comments of this nature considysome of the stuff said here, which is outrageous.

In fact let’s ask other posters here is my comments (all 4/5 of them) on NGOs a comment or a rant? Or maybe a sarcastic comment.

I’ve also said i don’t have problems with 99% of NGO’s, so I guess I can repeat that but it would do no good as you would still accuse me of ranting. So i’ll ask you again ignore my posts and comments on NGOs. In fact just ignore me.

But you were bang on about the green party, i’ll certainly agree with you on that. So post your final reply. Say what you have to say and I say good day to you in advance. I won’t reply to it. I’ll to be busy looking for the ignore feature.

"I'm fairly sure we've seen a few communities "win" (for lack of better word) via protest and the IPA's have been sent elsewhere as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if government back out of this one too, sure the hotel is not there anymore".

The above which I quoted in my reply to you ? Your own words? The action of getting rid of a problem through intimidation and violence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Would you be right in the head listening to the Irish media.? All day long, they all towed the party line. Burning the hotel was so wrong, we need to be taking in as many immigrants as they send us. We are the good boys of the class after all. We are racists and nothing more for doing this. Then roll out as many disgusted locals to reinforce the government line, followed by as many well integrated immigrants as you can round up. Mainstream Irish media on TV and radio have become so backwards and controlling. They fear not being able to control the narrative anymore, as their jobs are nothing without that control. Laughable listening to news talk and today FM on this during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

Something else to factor in , people are all to aware with what is going on don’t want them near them or in the county at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

It is a criminal act for god's sake ... I hope you are not condoning these terrorists !! ... they do not deserve support ... they have not solved anything but have caused more problems ... those 70 will go elsewhere ... I know which of the 2 I'd fear most ... 70 migrants or thugs willing to burn down a hotel are the options ... I'd fear the latter and regard this filth as the problem that needs to be purged ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

And where did I say I supported the intimidation and violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

`Fair play to the  Fianna Fáil councillors

Shameful from Fianna Fáil to be reprimanding them.

There's going to be some eye opener when the general election comes up, there's no doubt in my mind that this is going to get alot worse. We're just not feeling it at the moment because we're on the outskirts of Europe. If the UK gets it's Rwanda deal over the line (I doubt they will) it's going to be chaos over here

The media won’t be to critical as they don’t want to loose the 100’s of ‘a message from the government of ireland’ adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Correct, those 3 departments are keeping very quiet indeed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement