Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No limiting people coming in will. Especially fraudulent claims

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I believe the modular homes are for families, renovated buildings not suitable for children and are for single men arriving here. So even if all the buildings were burned to the ground, it would be irrelevant to the amount of modular homes that are being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

So you want Ukrainians treated just the same as IPAs? Has that been your wish since the start of the war or have your thoughts changed as a result of the numbers arriving since the war started?

At the start of the war I did question why Ukraine got a special status given they weren't in the EU. I was probably called a Putinbot by the children on the Ukraine thread.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

The modular homes are for Ukrainians that are currently gone to Ukraine on skiing holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Floppybits

We have had a problem with families being made homeless for whatever reasons in this country for over a decade and these families have been put up in hotels and family hubs, why didn't the government build modular homes to house these families? Even it is temporary it is better than having a family crammed into a hotel room for god knows how long. It is things like this that give the impression that the government care more about other nationalities than they do about Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭ECookie13

For anyone here who still has their head in the sand, and thinks Ukrainians are all fleeing drone strikes daily and are coming here just for "shelter", have a look at this Facebook group and you'll be shocked at what you see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/393834645462217

Constant posts about what benefits they can get, how to get around ARP to get houses in better locations/move, how to get into Ireland as another refugee from a different EU country, how to go on holidays to Ukraine/other countries and keep all their benefits etc. Even some Ukrainians are calling out the large chunk of grifters arriving.

The worst part? They are posting a lot about the changes in the new year and telling them all to move over fast to get on the gravy train before the benefits change. Honestly, if you think these people have just been running around avoiding missiles for 2+ years, and are only coming here now for anything over than the freebies/benefits, then I have magic beans to sell you.

Unsurprisingly, a lack of posts about how to get jobs, job vacancies and job requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

because modular housing was only seen as a temp dwellings and far too beneath the welfare class who wanted actual houses. Even back then other parties were against modular housing.

people think modular housing is cheap but by the time you build the services, roads etc it all adds up. The only thing going for them is the speed of construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All the stops were pulled out for Ukrainians and other newcomers, rules bent for them, and seemingly next to nothing done for people already here and in need. And like you say it was going back at least a decade if not two.

At the same time, I don't blame people for 'asylum shopping' and coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

Families in Dublin Hotel don't want to move to Tipperary, Cork or Cavan. If they did, there wouldnt be a homeless crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I would harbour a guess that won’t get you kudos on the international stage.

• Advertisement

Planning laws should be changed to allow modular house for everyone. To say modular housing is ok for one group of people and not others, during a housing crisis is descrminatory. Modular houses are not what they use to be and can last 40 or 50 years. I would prefer them over the new overpriced A rated houses or a second hand mouldy house. At least you know you wouldn't be getting ripped off. It should be the local authority to provide the roads and the services in my opinion.

That's not really anything on them, if anything at least it shows that they are not stupid. It's up to the government to put policies in place, other EU countries cracked down on this long before, while our government just ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Standard response from our government, and not just this one, they never plan and put the resources and infrastructure in place until it becomes an issue.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I notice you didn't answer a single question here @Gussoe

What are you allowed answer? Are you afraid to offer opinions on certain items?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

15,000 asylum seekers arrived in Ireland to be the new norm according to O'Gorman,

All aboard the asylum express

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

I have all notifications turned off on my boards.ie settings as i find the little red number annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Yes, there should be no discrimination based on nationality when it comes to refugees and their 'entitlements' here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

We build 9k social houses per year, these figures don't really work together

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We try to build 9000 social houses with something like 90,000 currently waiting for one , add another 15,000 per annum on top of that in 4 years we'll have over 160,000 and rapidly increasing needing social housing

• Advertisement

I wonder who will be prioritised on that list

Hopefully this man and his demented party get the booth at the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Life of 60 years at best before that they will be dilapidated , full of discontent and crime . Reap what you sow ,hope I am not investigated for saying that .

• Registered Users Posts: 38 boredyooser

Looking from abroad, for the past 30 years the total niavety of Ireland has been exasperating and shocking. Ireland is reaping what she has sown but it's nothing compared to what is coming. The Irish were too niave to heed the warnings of canaries in the coalmine like Kunle and Pamela Izbekhai. Now you have the South African plumber who thought " why not " and the Brazillian Instagrammer and, well, a genetical statistical anomaly in " Ukranian " " refugees ". Having had my own home community " benefit " from the growth of a Somalian demographic, where my local authority and others spending hundreds of millions of pounds to building ghettos comprising £ 600,000 apartments, I shudder for Ireland's future if you don't wise up soon and do something about your political class. Having already realised the value of the European Union, where tens of thousands simply moved from Rotterdam to Leicester, they know about the Common Travel Area now ... and I am seeing the evidence.

Here is something I rarely see raised:

There are plenty of folk willing to parrot " sure the Irish went everywhere " ( ignoring of course there was no social welfare on offer to them ).

But as regards the poor craters who " disagree with the government " and so " feared persecution ".

Imagine if Patrick Pearce, James Connolly, Sean Mac Diarmada, rather than make the ultimate sacrifice, put on their Armarni Jeans, Nike Air trainers, Moncler Puffas and packed their Iphone 15;s to get in a rubber dingy and land up somewhere pleading they needed protection from persecution and had special dietary requirements ?

Asylum used to mean the opportunity to do something about the situation you sought refuge from. Work to get your country back. In 1939 the Poles in Britain demanded Spitfires. Todays lads seem to say thanks, now where can I get a deliveroo bike ?

So whilst the Irish " went everywhere ", they also stood up to be counted in 1916. Yet in a paternal way, others must be held to a childlike standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Todays lads seem to say thanks, now where can I get a deliveroo bike ?

What's wrong with this if there's a demand for them? Not too many native Irish willing to do such jobs. Doubt Dominos would be able to deliver to my out-of-town residence if it wasn't for 'furriners'...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes they'll be capturing the polling booths no doubt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 boredyooser

The topic of this specific thread is not " immigration ". It's about the " asylum " system and situation in Ireland. They are two different things.

The issues being discussed relate to the inefficiency of the asylum system in Ireland, and the abuse of it.

Sure a when a Brazillian Instagrammer might MIGRATE to Ireland to " come to ireland work **** jobs for a while, party a bit, travel around Europe and then go home " just as " the Irish went to Australia ", well no problem ?

The problem arises when a Brazillian Instagrammer comes to Ireland " to iwork **** jobs for a while, party a bit, travel around Europe " and uses the ASYLUM system to facilitate this, taking taxpayers money and the legal system to fund their " partying a bit ", it is a total abuse of the asylum system.

An intelligent person would see the distinction. I guess a gobshite would just throw abuse.

Advertisement