Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Mod

Warned for this post and thread banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So now these violent unvetted undocumented men who's existence is solely to rape our women and steal our children aren't even going to have an address, just gonna be wandering the country?

Seems like whoever did this shot themselves in the foot if that's what they believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭cute geoge

My question is how many more buildings will be burned before our government actually makes a meaningfull attempt to address the concerns of the citizens of this country

• Registered Users Posts: 38 boredyooser

The thread is about the asylum system. Not migration. Want to go to Ireland and ride a deliveroo bike. That's fine. Come and do the job and support yourself.

But to present yourself to the state as " fleeing persecution ", apply for asylum and engage the welfare state and legal system, whilst covertly earning money on an Uber Eats bike is a total abuse of the asylum system, benefits nobody, especially those who genuinely seek protection..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

US3 thread banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The anti-refugee brigade hate immigration in general - they would block EU freedom of movement if they could. Their right wing English nationalist brethren were explicit about this....voted for Brexit to stop EU workers moving to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

I am sick of hearing about getting planted, Ireland is full ,Sharia law etc stuff like that.

Or we have an international duty etc.

"Facts are the numbers coming here have increased. In 2022, the average EU country turned down half of applications. Ireland turned down less than 20pc. However, at the appeal stage, 60pc of those rejected at the first stage had their refusal overturned. This means that for every 100 people who arrive here seeking asylum, only six or seven are finally rejected.

France turns down 70pc of asylum claims at the initial stage, and then three-quarters of appeals."

So we are a soft touch and that is the reason why so many more are coming here and getting to stay .

These people will end up on the social housing list and receiving accommodation. Some of them arrived without documents or fake documents. It is so unfair on the law abiding people living here all their lives and paying taxes. It is also unfair on the people arriving here with valid documents.

Roderic O'Gorman says the new norm will be 15000 coming here. The majority under current government rules will eventually end up staying here and end up on our housing lists. This is outrageous for the law abiding people living here .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Government have a real problem on their hands. While arson isn't new, attacks against two properties that were rumoured to be put to similar uses in such a short space of time: itsbbeginning to look like a strategy from those opposed to it. What's the response? Government need accommodation at speeds faster than it can be built so disused b&bs will continue to be needed - so are we really at stationing gardai and security outside proposed properties? It's not a good look.

The other side of the coin is to address demand so will we end up with a Rwanda policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

16 properties in 4 years. More than a pattern at this stage.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

Then the jobs shouldn't exist - these platforms add nothing to our society or economy, just like Supermacs or any number of other takeaways shouldn't exist if they can't work off a business model beyond "exploited immigrant workers"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The burning of buildings is incredibly sinister. Whatever your opinion on immigration it can't be justified.

I would fear its taking a very dark turn however I would imagine it won't be too hard to find who did it. And there aren't that many crazies for it to be something that continues. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Can you give us the list or link to all 16 properties?

Can you prove that beyond all reasonable doubt that they were in fact burned down (Arson).

Some of these buildings Im sure could have homeless people living in them and light fires to keep warm, maybe thats how some of them are catching fire or could be an electrical fault for that matter, lets not rush to judgement.

Incredibly, we don't seem to be seeing the same arson attacks in Britain. Ireland seems to have a very real and specific problem with its far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So if a multinational opens and needs cleaners and canteen workers how would they get Irish staff? You would never get enough Irish people doing these cleaning jobs nowadays even if they paid a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@baldbear 60pc of those rejected at the first stage had their refusal overturned. This means that for every 100 people who arrive here seeking asylum, only six or seven are finally rejected.....

And even at that none will ever deported from the state,

I'd rather we brought in a €1000 fee for every asylum application and you pay for your own legal bills and appeals and increase it 10k for appeals.

Why are you going on about Instagram? And how many Brazilians that come to ireland to work for deliveroo etc. have claimed asylum? You're talking absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

The Rwanda “policy”, if it ever gets up and running will send 200 people a year to Rwanda. A tiny drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

While I don't for a moment agree with or condone arson, intimidation or violence (from either "side", and those involved should be identified and prosecuted), these latest events over the last few weeks indicate that the breaking point has been reached for some.

It's very obvious to anyone who bothers to look that the current approach hasn't worked and is no longer being accepted by the majority - whether it be grumbling and frustration among friends or colleagues, or posts on forums like this, people have had enough of having thousands upon thousands of people arriving here and whose needs are being put over and above those of the natives and citizens.

I saw an article on Friday about 2 people complaining about the tents situation and how it's making people sick - fair points and not unexpected in a country with our climate in winter... But then you read that one is from Pakistan and the other from Nigeria and have been living/working here for years in the latter case and are complaining about the rental/property market (that the rest of us likewise have to deal with).

The difference I suppose is that we can't just move into a tent and get a sympathy piece in the press to highlight our wish to better our situation while getting handouts.

The other thing of course that keeps getting missed and not highlighted is that neither of the two people above nor anyone else in the tents or hotels is being held here! No one is forcing them to live in those conditions. They can leave at anytime and even leave the country and try their luck elsewhere.

These guys and their desires for a better life are not our problem to solve nor our responsibility to support until they get what they want. That needs to be remembered and highlighted more. They are here at our goodwill and charity - nothing else, and unfortunately we have long since hit the limits of what we can realistically do.

When we then hear O'Gorman mouthing about an extra 15k arriving annually being the new norm at a time when his Green colleagues are about to land more taxes on people in the guise of recycling, and Micheal Martin admitting that they're "several years" away from the 40k houses needed ANNUALLY (I wonder if that includes O'Gorman's 15k?), it's not that big a surprise that people are fed up and that some have gone too far in the face of being ignored and demonised by their Government who are supposed to represent them and their interests, not those of any randomer that turns up with a sad story or dream of improving their own lot.

I've said it many times before here but I feel no responsibility nor obligation to support these latter types and I certainly don't accept having my own needs or interests put aside in favour of theirs. I make no apology for that and why should I?

That's my right and expectation as a native citizen and taxpayer in this country, and who is increasingly concerned about the future of this country for people like me and our families and children.

There is a huge need for a centre-right party in this country that will put our interests first, especially on immigration and dealing with the EU. It's certainly not either of the big two of FF or FG, and anyone who thinks SF is the answer is in for a shock, but I think that by the time the end of the decade arises we will have such a party (we're only behind the curve of the other European countries who've gone through this but there's no reason to expect our outcomes to be any different). To be honest I would question whether the EU in its current guise will survive that long, but we'll see...

The main point though is that enough is enough and if our current "leaders" don't respond to these changing sentiments and frustrations then they'll be replaced by those who will. You'd hope that this will happen in a civilised manner, but as we've seen elsewhere, there is a risk of ACTUAL "far right" types stepping in if not.

If FF, FG and their media hangers-on aren't careful they will facilitate exactly that, and then we'll ALL be a lot worse off!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

We are in a free labour market of 448 million persons. Perhaps we should try tapping that before inviting the 3rd world in.

• Advertisement

The 3rd world, ffs. We were 3rd world for a long time, so many Irish people went to the UK and took council housing from locals too you know, including relatives of mine.

EU countries have all improved their people don't want to clean toilets in Ireland these days.

If you want a growth based capitalist system in Ireland you're going to have to accept cheap labour from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yeah they are scamming English language study visas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

Then the welfare system must be looked at - it is incongruous to have among the highest welfare levels in Western Europe at the same time as a high minimum wage, there are too many locals who are opting not to work through choice; we have one Irish lady among our cleaning staff, I really admire her work ethic but they were all Irish 15 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 38 boredyooser

The article illustrates the problem with the media and the NGOs and the politicians.

These men in one breath are described as " refugees " and " asylum seekers " and " traumatised by war ".

But by their own violition, like many others, when they speak, their own words either open doubts, expose truths and illustrate a very different picture.

The media have no consistency and no honesty, and not even the basic skills of investigative reporting. Is it cowardly or cynical ?

The system is a joke. Everybody knows it. So much so that those engaged in it, are happy to blab the truth. Many are not even bothering to pretend. When you have two lads posing as " refugees / asylum seekers " on national television, in front of the Irish public and politicians, admitting their reasons for claiming asylum n Ireland, with no shame, where are we ? The South African plumber ( whose social media can be easily found ), who was travelling Europe, stated the people were friendly and he liked it here, so I thought " why not ". He didn't even pretend to be " fleeing because of his opposition to the government " or " scared of bad men ". He said it straight out, that he basically fancied staying. I think the clip is on YouTube.

If there were not so many chancers blatantly abusing the system, and the media not even bothering to hide it, perhaps the public would be more sympathetic.

But it appears even the public are blase about the systematic abuse of the system, sure a fellow poster on the thread thinks that Brazillian backpackers who want to come to Ireland to party should be given Asylum to fund this ! ( any chance he could pay rather than the taxpayer ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Rubbish, offer decent wages and the problem is solved. ~

People are abusing the refugee system as economic migrants, being helped along by our lovely "capitalists" to depress wages.

You're making a lot of points here, but on your last one, I would respectfully disagree. The non national population is not one homogenous mass which can threaten Irish culture. It's a big mishmash of languages, religions and ethnicities. Brazilians have nothing in common with Chinese people, Indians nothing in common with Polish people, Nigerians nothing in common with Filipinos etc. Irish people and Irish culture will always be the dominant ones, even decades into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

Can I ask, why are you so against black people going to school with white people? Why do you think is an acceptable quota of black that should he allowed attend school? Or do you think they should be segregated and have their own school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Let's hope all the kudos these people are getting do not go to there head and think they can do anything with impunity. I also heard the Ringsend place was for homeless centre. Though who believes anyone now

Advertisement