Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Is the fact that the government are supposedly cracking down because 70% of Ukrainians arriving here were from other European countries which would point to them choosing Ireland for economic reasons? The dogs on the street knew this of course but 3 months ago people such as yourself would be calling people far right for saying this. In the words of Mrs Merton "what was it about the rainy little island of the west coast with the highest social welfare payments in Europe that first attracted you to Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I know folks on here say the media are compromised but are they genuinely towing a party line? I am listening to Newstalk here and it is incredible the narrative - I am wondering what kind of control the Gov are able to exercise over them. It is very biased toward things like

Far right whipping up anti migrant sentiment

Disgusting behaviour

Burning the building not tolerable in a civilised society

and so on (I am very disappointed with the presenter "Essentially people wanted to know is this facility for Irish Homeless or is it for dark people" - what a f*cking poor showing from him)

The guest Dan McConnell - "We do not have an open border and the line that it is all unvetted males with no docs is rubbish." Like, is that not patently untrue since we know we are a soft touch. What is going on in the media that they wont challenge this shíte

There is no discussion about whether or not the line that it is for homeless Irish is nonsense - any self respecting media outlet would surely raise that question and teas it out

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

Refugees unless earning above average salary, are a net burden on the state and taxpayer.

As they pay little tax and need to be housed by the state. All migrants that came into the country last year will all end up on the housing list over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What one would that be then? Am I the racist or the easily led moderate in your example?

Because I can assure you I'm neither. I'm an Irish native and tax paying citizen who is fed up reading about decisions being made that no one asked for but we'll all bear the costs and brunt of, and then reading that such concerns are extremist far right thoughts to be readily dismissed by the politicians and their media hangers on.

I can also look at the experiences of other countries who have gone down this road and contrary to the "it'll be fine" attitudes of some, I can see the same serious problems happening here (they are already starting). See, I realise that Ireland isn't special and just because "everyone loves the Irish" and Guinness it doesn't make us immune to the same outcomes.

I'm also very aware that as a country we have a lot of long term problems that successive Governments have failed to address (or actively made worse) and so I've no faith in an attention-seeking populist (Varadkar), a dangerously under-qualified virtue signaller who is undermining Irish security, stability and even free speech (McEntee), or a fantasist ideologue with no mandate (O'Gorman) to be able to deal with the problems or the consequences of their policies over particularly the last 2 years.

I also see no reason why the needs of any randomer who shows up in the airport/port/back of a container with a sad story should be given priority and them automatically be given supports and services that the natives have to jump through hoops for - if they even qualify for them at all!

So please yes, do tell me now which point of yours I've proven because I frankly believe that it's you who is showing yourself up - once again - with your trite reply because you're unable to properly discuss the issue.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭Augme

Yes, it's incredible the media outlets aren't going with the narrative that burning down buildings is perfectly acceptable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Rte1 radio is really showing this evening how by getting the bail out from government has totally made them a state radio station and totally biased to the views and decisions taken by the government. Totally in disbelief listening to some of the so called spokespeople being interviewed, wanting to stop people showing certain videos on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭emo72

Cuddihy on newstalk is the wokiest of the woke, king woke to be sure. It's not news, it's pontificating. Us plebs have ended up with wrongthink and we need to be told how to think. RTE are just the same. I listen to these shows too remind me how far right I've become lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yes it does make me happy. We are still providing refuge from the war which is the most important thing.

We should of course help and take genuine refugees, this number is not 15k.

What benefit do we as a country get from multiple multiple centers to hold 15k a year? Enriching the legal profession? Looking nice?

If our health service would fall over without refugees, then we should start recruitment drives and offer visas to people who qualify and contribute to the country. Not just blindly hope some nurses arrive.

In the spirit of dispelling myths as per Leo's comments, I would very much like to see the nationality/country of birth of those in housing waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Did I mishear or did I hear Dan McC say it was untrue to say asylum seekers were arriving in Ireland after destroying their passports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Westernview

So do tell me the number of refugees out of the of the 15k that aren't genuine then? Id like to look at the data for myself.

Where did you get the idea that ireland haven't recruitment drives? We have undergone recruitment drives in Australia and other countries since Simon Harris was Mikister for health.

No one is blindly hoping nurses arrive. The majority of our immigrants come from the EU. Those lacking skills are more likely to be refugees who are not here by choice.

So saying the health service would be in an awful state if we stopped taking asylum seekers is misinformation?

Its a standard line trotted out from people who try to conflate overall immigration with asylum seekers.

About 68 percent - https://www.worlddata.info/europe/ireland/asylum.php#google_vignette though what refusal actually means is unclear.

Any evidence for your last line?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It doesn't matter how many are bogus. The system, as is, means it matters not one jot as we deport particularly zero (from a statistical perspective). The government know this, the NGOs know this, those arriving know this, so why pretend otherwise.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Most of them are now coming in from the UK through Belfast .

They are scammers looking for a free ride off the back of the Irish taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can an undocumented person be a burden on the system if they are not even part of the system? i.e. they have no right to state accommodation or to social welfare.

I'm not sure what you mean by undocumented?

There's plenty without documentation rocking up every year and getting government support. They seem to be able to board planes with a passport and then it just vanishes.

Anyway, it's a completely false dichotomy to say someone coming in isn't a drain on the state just because they don't receive welfare. They are more than likely using other resources like schools, hospitals, doctors etc and they are also probably working in the black economy which takes jobs away from someone here legally and steals money from the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Hear me out on this.

If im an immigrant or whatever you wanna call it these days coming from the uk to Ireland via Belfast,

Can i apply for welfare here, if granted, paid direct to bank account & simply go back to UK ?

No, I'm talking about failed asylum applicants - the ones that have been through the system and had their claim turned down. At this point, they become a non person, as they are not Irish citizens and have no legal right to be in the country, no PPS number etc.

I would assume that's where one of the many state funded NGOs would step in and offer supports, including legal representations.

No you have to go to the post office for your 39 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Newstalk is just a forum to push propaganda for the government. I stopped listening to them years ago after all the guff their "journalists" gave water charge protesters. They'd probably be calling them "far right" today...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Things are about to get very ugly here over the next few years. We badly need this government gone asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Why?The opposition want to continue the current policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭queueeye

Cuddly is a total lost cause. The only presenter I’ve heard voicing any concerns is Pat Kenny. He had an ex army intelligence officer on maybe two months ago saying we are seen by Islamic terrorist networks as an easy route into Europe.

He asked some Green Party member a few weeks ago some awkward questions and she dutifully reverted to type by calling people who disagreed with her far right etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Would the 2 Albanian bro's that were caught with €3/4m worth of coke, having just been in the country a few weeks (presumably refused asylum and given permission to remain) fit into that category?

Something tells me they were not going hungry and had lots of cash from their Albanian homeland buddies backing them - Still, at least they'll get free legal aid eh

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Yep was driving home to Kerry from Dublin today and heard Cuddihy on Newstalk, he's unbelievable, completely out of touch. He preaches down to everyone and only has contributors on who agree with him. He loves himself too much to have anyone on who disagrees with him. The best radio I ever heard was when Ronan Mullins handed Cuddihy his arse on a plate in September ! It really is GOLD!

https://twitter.com/BulbuliaBrendan/status/1707285703233589468

Cuddihy's been trying to redeem himself since then and his preaching to us plebs has got worse. Ironically Pat Kenny also on Newstalk has begun to question the narrative a lot lately and the sense of allowing unlimited asylum seekers into the country, or if there is a plan? PK has begun to wake up, a lot sooner than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I’d not listen to Cuddihy. He reads from the same playbook as Colman. They all do with the exception of Kenny who will on occasion question the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

This fella Lucky. obliged? ffs… it’s gone beyond madness at this stage. Why this fella was ever given a platform is beyond me. We help that 500, 5000 more come. What then Lucky? who pays for all this Lucky? Surely even he can crunch the numbers.

Quote from Lucky

‘“Movement of Asylum Seekers in Ireland (MASI) founder Lucky Khambule, however, said the Government is "obliged" to help those arriving in Ireland”

• Advertisement

Are you sure they were asylum seekers or former asylum seekers? Anyone with access to five or six figure sums in Euros would hardly be living in a direct provision centre on €39 a week.

Advertisement