Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

If you read it you will see it's mentioned but worded differently in the link.

Anyhow I'm not a liar and I don't make things up. And when I'm wrong I'm also man enough to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

One bloke in London banging on about terror attacks doesn't represent all immigrants to Ireland ffs, it's like saying Conor McGregor represents all Irish people...

Israelis have been saying equally as bad things by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

One notable characteristic of the evangelical immigration people here is that they don't seem to live in the 'real' world. They don't talk to family, friends, neighbours and strangers by and large about the subject in real life. Seem to live in a world of government PR and a hazy idealistic notion that we must welcome whatever arrives in our country and just put up with it. It's a kind of bubble - see no evil, hear no evil. Some day that bubble will burst badly for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

You’ve obviously not been following the matches out there and the many calls for jihad. How many Zionist marches have there been ?

pretty sure there have been plenty of pro-israel and what they're doing now marches in london, new york, even here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I did read it. Again the only mention of anything even close to what you posted that they claimed is this:

Another local resident, Geraldine Hough, said they were against what the Government was doing in relation to housing the asylum seekers in the hotel. She was critical of how the gardaí brought the children through the protest yesterday.

“They did not make it safe for kids to come in here. They bulldozed their way here and they were blaming us for it, but it was the guards and the public order unit. They pulled kids into the middle of it,” she said…

That’s a long way from claiming that Gardaí pulled women and children off the bus and pushed them into the crowd.

You clearly did make it up, but it doesn’t matter, because it’s been established now without doubt that it just didn’t happen, regardless of whomever made the claims.

burst badly how? if you're someone who doesn't really give a sh*t who lives here and are doing ok in life, what are you supposed to be worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Lol , theatrics on one side but totally believable , of course , on the other !

Did you see the three marching with their boxes of goodies down the Avenue, nobody getting in their way or pushing and shoving like the crowd did yesterday , and they turned to look at the cameras at the door?

I hope its genuine for the sake of the poor people inside Racket Hall .

But I also believe that you cannot say one is genuine and the other a setup, unless you are very disingenuous .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

These typecasting posts 😂😂 is this a new thing?

Brilliant!

Childless Loners it seems.

What's next? Dehumanisation?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter I know what was said. And i know it must be hard for you to have to nit pick small differences in wording. Anyhow what happened yesterday has added more to the credibility of the residents of Roscrea than incompetent government and totally incompetent ministers. Anyway someday you might be able to accept sometime your wrong.

The narrative on the usual suspects' social media before the arrival of the women and children was that it was single men being bussed in .

Doubt they would have had many 'normal ' women protesting families , and the type of parents that would take children to a protest like that , frankly, must be extreme sort of nutters .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The government did this with the intention of making the locals look like far right racists.

Why, what exactly does that achieve for The government?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I related a tale yesterday of talking to my racist anti immigrant protesting friend. But no one wanted to talk about it.

Today he sent me on links trying to demonstrate how COVID vaccines could be picked up by a dog micro chip scanner

After you also into the COVID conspiracy stuff or is it only the anti immigrant stuff you are into?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not so sure about that. Online discussions and fora are of course outraged about immigration but there's a huge swathe of people not that outraged. It's divisive and polarised. I don't think there us a consensus on it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know what you claimed was said by two women interviewed on Drivetime too, it wasn’t. I know what you claimed was written in an Irish Times article, turns out it wasn’t. It’s not small differences in wording, there’s a fairly significant difference between what you tried to insinuate, and what actually happened, and it’s done nothing for the credibility of the protesters whom you supported already.

As for the whole deal you made of them bringing clothes and toys, I couldn’t give a shyte, they can throw their crap on the fires they have burning to keep themselves warm. What they’re doing is beneath contempt, and they know it too. It’s not a new tactic:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souperism

What a mess and everyone to blame here .

If that really is the case they are feeling guilty now and rightly so. They look like a right shower .

They would have kicked up until they knew it was families so saying that the family shouldn't have been walked in is a bit humbug.

Maybe they should have been informed that there were children present beforehand, (don't know if they were ?) but would they have believed without seeing it for themselves .

We will never know now and those poor kids are traumatised anew .

It's bad on all sides tbh . 😡

Perhaps you should have a long hard think to who is really Taking the soup in this country at the present time.

It's not just bad, it's pretty unforgivable.

Let's call it ...all of these protests and protestors ...blockading , racist commentary , filming gardaí and other public workers without their permission, deciding who comes and who goes , threatening violence and arson .

All the that the rest if the people of Roscrea have done has been ruined by these absolute idiots .

And you can be sure that they have been made aware of that today and that is why we have these women bringing their boxes ..on the walk of shame ...Shame on them !

We cannot normalise behaviour like that and say oh it's ok they are giving them clothes etc . This is out there disgusting degenerate behaviour , intimidating and shouting at people who are vulnerable .

Go fxxxin protest up in Dublin a few Saturdays in a row like people do when they want their voices heard . It has worked for other groups who use democratic peaceful protest .

But then there were large numbers at those public protests.. visibly decent voters and their families.

Any protest that is not safe for a family is not peaceful or democratic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They were brought from somewhere else they weren't on the streets or anything like it

• Advertisement

I don’t need to think about it at all because it’s not relevant to what those protesters were doing in leaving clothes and toys for the families in accommodation, while at the same time protesting about them being accommodated there.

So you didn't bother to listen to what the women said they were protesting about. You seem to be stating what you think they are protesting about. If you had bothered to listen or read the interview you wouldn't be stating this about them buying clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I don’t think it’s acceptable how to tell people how to protest. It’s not really a protest then it’s just a gathering with some signs.

it’s also not inappropriate to film anyone in public when there is of course a chance that false accusations could be leveled on someone at anytime.

Has there been any opinion polls or commentary from people from roscrea condemning or disagreeing with the protestors?

I listened to them being interviewed, I read the articles, it’s why I said I don’t care about them buying clothes. If they were leaving clothes and toys without attaching terms and conditions or thinking they had any rights to call the shots, then I might be more inclined to see their actions as a gesture of good will, and not the pithy attempt to portray themselves as being kind 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

You think that immigration isn't the major issue for most people in the country at the moment?

But they stated that they have no bad feelings towards the refugees and the protest and there anger is directed solely at the government. Lack of services in the area and definitely the loss of the only operating hotel for both functions and jobs is a massive point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Its minor. The situation in Gaza brought thousands of people to the streets of Dublin last weekend to protest with most of the major political parties represented.

Immigration won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

The odd gathering - and well behaved too. Not climbing all over sacred national monuments , marching on armistice day , abusing and assaulting the police , glorifying Terrorism.

like night and day behaviour wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would suggest it isn't anyway. This has hardly energised the public - there's a huge amount of noise and shouting on social media but it's doesn't seem to be feeding into the national discourse in a significant way.

It was striking to see a UK poll recently where British people listed immigration as only the fourth most important issue facing the country, this despite a right wing government and right wing press banging on all the time about 'stopping the boats'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭queueeye

Asylum seeker, (chancer) from Egypt on prime time RTE 1. Egypt is a safe country as far as I know! Correct me if I’m wrong.

Apparently he paid 10 grand to get here, the govt supporting the human trafficking industry. Great bunch of lads!

Advertisement