Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

It's increasing the population under the guise of international obligations,The government is bending over backwards here from funding,sourcing accommodation,tents,army camps....all in the face of growing protests and a division in irish society...and the other problems it brings.It would be easier to leave these international obligations....yet they wont

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The far right meltdown after the next set of elections is going to be funny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Reporting on this week's EU migration summit, yesterday's IT reports:

"There is also a push for the EU to strike agreements with non-EU countries for asylum claims to be processed outside its borders, and for the union to even consider cutting development aid to countries that don't agree to take back their citizens when they are deported----something that the Irish government is understood to oppose."

So here we have the Irish government actually opposing concrete measures that could address, or at least mitigate, the asylum crisis. So desperate are they to virtue signal and line up big jobs in the UN, Washington, NGOs etc, that they are now actively frustrating solutions to the problem----and openly working against the interests of the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭creeper1

It's the same with the protests outside direct provision centres. The politicians don't give a flying f--- about the refugees really. What concerns them is that these images are embarrassing. They want to be the good boys in Europe.

Ireland has lit a torch and now protests are spreading to Liverpool.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-64600806

Obviously, because they’re living in hotels and tents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I remember in the mid 70's Ireland was second in the world for owner occupied houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

So why are 30 plus percent of homeless people foreign born?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Just to clarify :compounding = making something worse. This thread is about migration policy, the housing crisis in Ireland is a disgrace.

Genuine tefugees are a group who are also losing out to economic migrants and people claiming refugee status coming from or passing through 30 safe countries to get here.

Ireland has absolutely been affected. People use resources, they don’t just arrive and not impact anything. Every bed someone takes up has an impact somewhere along the chain. For example - if there are now less rooms in hotels nationally do you think the prices will stay the same? It’s simple supply and demand - we have no houses, now we have less, prices go up - more people stay living with mom and dad.

I don’t think the homeless situation would be too affected - but then again what’s considered homeless here is sleeping on the street literally, not an inability to house yourself. We may only have 10,000 homeless but we probably have 500k-1m people who should have a home at this stage of their lives living in garages, college style house shares or in their childhood bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Spotted this this morning in my local renting Facebook page.

Don’t get me wrong, these folks(genuine refugees) need help, but to say they have no impact on housing is just bonkers to me.

I’ve scrubbed the location but it’s an area where nobody can currently rent. I actually think it’s lousy that they will need to try find something along with all their other current concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I’ve scrubbed the location but it’s an area where nobody can currently rent.

need help, but to say they have no impact on housing is just bonkers to me.

So your one example will have no impact on housing?

Bonkers indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Hamachi

But who around here is far right? Everybody who holds a different ideological position to you? If that’s your frame of reference, I suggest you’ll be sorely disappointed at the absence of ‘meltdowns’.

What is becoming increasingly clear, is your rising levels of anxiety...

How many examples do you require to reach statistical significance?

Speaking of which, have you sourced any data yet, to validate your claim that the protestors are predominately unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are they really expecting a breakthrough though? Most of the anti-immigrant posters on here seem to accept it is unlikely to happen for the current lot and the Right needs leaders with mainstream appeal if it is ever to gain mass support. Most of their hopes seem to be vested in the protests causing mainstream parties to shift to a more restrictive position on immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Our old rented house has been renovated since we left. It actually belongs to my in laws. They have been approached and approached again to rent it out to local families and everyone else. They'd going to rent it to an agency who will rent it to Ukrainians- 3 bedroom house- my inlaws get €3300 per month!!! They do have to pay for oil, electricity and bins. Agency is getting 60% so do the Maths!

The whole thing is an utter farce. Ireland is utterly finished, unless you have property.

Many people have said that No Irish person has lost out on accommodation because of refugees. I know umpteen examples locally. Enrages me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've always found that people on that end of spectrum, being as deeply collectivist and ideologically in sync as they are, seem to always accuse the other side of the same thing. It's the typical black and white thought that's become the norm in modern politics. The vast majority of posters here share little ideologically with the likes of Justin Barrett, yet that doesn't matter, you might as well be Justin himself once you don't align yourself with their views.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Well his example statistically is 0.

You still shouting out claims no one made? 😂

There’s a distinct absence of nuance in this post too. Posters who oppose unfettered immigration aren’t necessarily anti-immigration. Case in point, I’m sure I’m characterized as anti-immigration, yet in my professional life, I am thriving in a highly globalized industry and manage a team, 50% of whom are immigrants. I absolutely acknowledge the criticality of skilled migration and value the contributions of my colleagues. In fact, I’ll wager that I interact with immigrants on a daily basis, far more than many other posters.

The lack of nuance is also evident in branding of those who favor controlled immigration as ‘right’. This branding occurs despite posters holding distinctly left wing positions on other issues. I really wish that some posters were capable of a baseline level of sophistication when discussing immigration.

You are making claims no one made, it's low grade posting, please stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

it's low grade posting, please stop.

This has to be the greatest example of a lack of self-awareness in the history of boards. Bravo, Boggles.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Is there such a thing as "controlled immigration"? If only 5000 people decide to move to Ireland in 2023, we are not in "control" of that figure. If 42,000 move here in 2024, we are not in control of that figure either.

The sham / fiasco known as Brexit was supposedly all about controlling immigration from the EU and we all know how that ended. The idea that we can control immigration seems a bit of a fallacy - there are way too many variables involved that are outside the reach of the government. It would be like thinking you can control the birth rate or the marriage rate or how many people take a holiday abroad or how much people spend on leisure activities in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Italy has called for more money for Africa, Hungary wanted more walls and France said the EU should help fight poverty and terrorism around the world, as well as combat global warming to see fewer people on the move.....

Ladies and gentlemen I give you.. the EU

So Italy wants the working man and woman of the EU to bail Africa out by throwing more of our hard earned cash at them hand over fist , indefinitely just in the hope they dont come.

France think the EU and its citizens are not only a charity but a global one. 'Global giveaway'

Hungry say... " fùck it, we look after our own... WE the citizens of the EU member states created this wealth , these resources, we should be putting it back into the EU... for the citizens who worked to earn it, create it "

I'm with them ^^^

The EU is rapidly becoming the FUMU.... fùcked up mad Union... with no sense of loyalty or self purpose... an absolute derogation of duty and responsibility to the wellbeing, welfare, safety and dignity of its member states and their citizens....

It's doomed , we are doomed...The way things are going.

Close the borders...

The protests are being organised by nutters who want Ireland to leave the EU.

Rational thought wouldn't be on the list.

It’s not irrational to look at leaving behind, a relationship that is bullying, negatively impacting your wellbeing and compromising your safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I remember clearly that one of the main themes in the Brexit referendum was how leaving the union would allow the UK to "control immigration" from the EU. As we can see, the whole thing has descended into chaos, the UK isn't in control of anything and there are huge labour shortages across many sectors.

Once they get rid of the window lickers, I can see them reapplying for membership.

They committed economic suicide on the basis of abject lies.

It's no surprise the loons organising these protests are affiliated with the likes of Farage.

That man is just a dangerous parasite.

I’m glad you feel like you can speak for every irish citizen, some level of debate :)

‘the rest of us are grand ‘ ? We ain’t,

We are not leaving the EU. Tell HQ they are wasting their time.

Not presently, but we are walking into a shîtstorm that is changing the very fabric of society and the ability of this country to maintain fairness, safety and standards and quality of life for is citizens.

“We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible.”

That’s pretty unambiguous….

when we have zero ability to determine the democratic values and direction and destiny of this country… it’s simply undemocratic… democracy isn’t simply the ability to ‘elect’….democracy is governance based on the will of the people.

we need a refugee policy that doesn’t throw our wellbeing out of the water….

the only manner of achieving it… limit it.

• Advertisement

We really aren't. Again we are NOT leaving the EU.

Hermann does not care about you nor does he care about Ireland.

Advertisement