Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I can't remotely see the attraction either, likewise booking your party, event with the hotel. I suppose the local council are trying to make the best of a bad lot, very difficult fence to sit on - publicly defending the need to house asylum seekers whilst raging against the loss of essential tourism facilities.

You should write a formal complaint to the Dept of Tourism giving details of that disgraceful experience. Our Minister for Tourism needs to be brought to her senses and given a good kick up the backside. She's far too busy dealing with exit packages and jobs for the boys in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's perfectly possible like me to work in the American dream whilst simultaneously laughing at all that shite

One thing for sure education is a privilege in America 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Justice Minister said she has to ”push back very strongly” against claims by women in Roscrea, north Tipp, that they don’t feel safe in the town anymore.

She's responding to a protest outside the Garda station in town earlier this week. McEntee went on to say that local protestors are being manipulated by people who are stoking fears against migrants, refugees, and asylum seekers. The protest was near all women who came out.

The protest comes a few days after a non-EU National broke into a woman’s house in Roscrea and started masturbating and telling her he wanted to have sex with her. All while her children were there.

Like many women in towns around Ireland where incidents like these have happened or are happening, they do not live in ivory towers protected by personal Gardai, Gardai by her side or outside her home and surveillance.

Dismissing women's genuine fear to push her agenda, basically calling them liars? Vile.

https://tippfm.com/news/community/minister-says-roscrea-protestors-manipulated/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This ongoing narrative that we're all either naive or easily led by the shadowy racist "far right" is not only ridiculous, it's insulting.

The fact that it's McEntee coming out on this speaks volumes - ideology and wishful thinking are more important to the female Minister for Justice than listening to other Irish women.

Take note people of Tipperary and indeed nationwide. This is what a decade of FG in government has brought us to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

They really do think people are tick

McEntee

"We have a situation that 20% of the people living in this country are not from this country and we will always have a mixture of people committing crimes, but those that want to sow division and sow fear will hone in on that one, or two, or three single incidents and make it look as if its a very different situation.

or four or five or six or seven etc. Proportionality is lost on her. The age-old crime & far-right association. Imagine whats been through the courts and unreported. what we've seen in newspapers provides enough proof as it is.

At least Carol Nolan was there to support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Zero fg td in tipp, long may it continue. Reckon tipp will have 3 independents next election. Not ideal but at the least tipp people aren't just following party politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Lowery is an FG TD in all but name. Never votes against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Lowry is a mid tipp td and gets all he can for them by voting with government but he is no longer a fg td so tipp has zero fg tds. I get your point though. People voting for lowry not for fg my point essentially .Too many people vote party not person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Hope the open borders cheerleaders in here are delighted with themselves

The policies they’ve supported have directly influenced this awful situation unfolding on the streets of our capital

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭Augme

I doubt anyone is delighted with this scenario. Clearly the government needs to really get the finger out. Purchase most hotel space if necessary. Leaving them out the streets is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I agree it is absolutely ridiculous

But it is a result of policies you’ve supported, people were warning this was going to happen over a year ago and were disregarded with various epithets

Are you surprised?

I haven't supported investing pretty much nothing in housing.

You have you supported policies that have exacerbated that existing issue though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭Damien360

Like him or not, he was the only politician down in Roscrea actually meeting protesters and spoke on TV about the crap down there without missing a heartbeat. He wasn't taken in by the "won't someone think of the children nonsense" and called it a disgrace what was happening. If I was in his constituency, he would have my vote.

No I haven't. There's over 60,000 hotel spaces in Ireland. The notion that there is no accommodation for these 1,000 people is crazy.

These 1000+ should have done their research a bit better before rocking up here. And they know how to use ferries and airports. They're not under arrest and free to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I’ll probably get battered for this. But i’d offer some of these gentlemen money to leave to go home. I suspect a lot are economic migrants. i can’t see how we solve this without buying up to 50% of the hotels

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. But they didn't and I don't think they'll be volunteeraily leaving any time soon either.

Why? Is that a mark of how good they think it's going to be here? If they can just get into the system proper?

I mean the government's new policy could be to sit on their hand and not many on decisions on anyone's asylum application and just let the number sleeping rough grow until asylum seekers stop coming and the ones here decide to leave. It certainly would be a bold new strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's up to them really. As repeatedly pointed out, no one is forcing them to come or to remain.

The more responsible thing to do would be to tell them at point of entry that there's no space and nothing for them. I'd say a lot may get back on the next plane and try their luck somewhere else.

We don't need more people who can't support themselves and who we have no resources for - your idea that the State should just keep buying up hotel rooms to accomodate them is both non-sensical AND unsustainable anyway... or do you propose we take people's homes or spare rooms then after they've exhausted the hotels?

We have legal obligations to people who are seek asylum. We can’t say we have no space.

We have 60k+ hotel spaces, I don't we will need people's homes or spare rooms. The State should realise that this problem is no just going to magical disappear, that people are not going to decide never to come to Ireland and claim asylum or that people will leave if they have to live in a tent for a while. Solutions like that are nonsensical. They need to start focusing on how to provide accommodation while we process asylum applications.

The ability for people to enter and stay in a country illegal will always trump the ability for a state to be able to deport them. Time people realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

so what are you saying here? we commandeer 60k rooms? at the expense of the tourism industry? so if we process their application and they fail will this still trump our ability to deport them.

incidentally do you have a number or threshold where we will actually have to say stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

This is real life, real money and we're a small country with finite spaces. Just because there is a hotel room sitting free, doesn't mean it should be hired out to the endless IPAs. More will take note, and more will come until we actually end this shite. I don't think laws written in 1951 at a time when the global population was less than half it is now (and travel was a chore) should be deemed relevant today's world either.

Looney limitless ideologies like yours will only serve to make the rich richer and everyone else poorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Not according to this NGO...

https://ichr.ie/irelands-legal-obligations-regarding-asylum-and-immigration/

Where are the Government's human rights and legal obligations when it comes to waiting lists, trolleys, children requiring urgent back surgery, staff so overburdened they cannot attend to a child with signs of sepsis...wards with experienced nursing staff leaving in their droves to escape to Australia due to poor conditions here.

I genuinely hope you won't need the services of the public health system in Ireland to treat a chronic illness, as your opinion would change drastically about where Government priorities should focus on.

Since 1951 poor people have gotten richer and their standard of living has drastically improved. The notion that immigration makes people poorer is laughable, it generally tends to do the opposite most people. Again, you don't seem to grasp the reality that there is no way to "end this ****". People aren't just going to stop coming because you ask them nicely not to.

If I had a chronic illness I'm certain I wouldnt stupid enough to blame the foreigners for the poor health system. Especially given it would likely be a foreigner looking after me. Again, the notion that shipping out the foreigners will turn our health service into a world beater is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Chancer Man fleeing horrendous persecution gets caught and brought to court for breaking immigration law

The standout points are -

The garda said he likely arrived from another European destination and agreed with the judge that the accused "would have boarded the flight with such documentation".

Judge Mitchell noted the accused, who listened to the proceedings with the help of an interpreter, did not wish to say why he did not apply for asylum in another country.

Really?

The accused had no recorded convictions under the name he provided.

Which is very reassuring as the Sudanese are renowned for having one of the best criminal IT databases in the world

Pleading for leniency, Defence counsel Aisling Ginger-Quinn said her client was from Sudan but left because he was in fear for his life due to conflict during which he had lost his parents.

Which doesn't really explain why he said this earlier in the piece-

The court heard that he had no reply to one charge but said, "I want to go back to my own country", in answer to the second offence.

"I have been getting "a lot of these cases," Judge Mitchell remarked.

Don't worry about that Judge, we just need to build more houses...

...apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

No, it's purely the Government's fault. This isn't about an 'increase in foreigners', I never mentioned race or foreigners, you did. It's about a rising population, and a health system that is crashing. The more the population increases, the more health staff and resources will be required. It is simple maths.

It doesn't bother me where health workers come from once their qualifications are legitimate.

It is simple math. The problem is the government don't realise this and the Irish public have little regard for doctors and nurses who work in hospitals in Ireland. But if you simply saying the rising population is a problem, the only way to reduce that is to get rid of foreigners and we can't get rid of Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

1,000 IPAs on street now, and a further 20,000 in the pipeline for this coming year. Let that sink in.

Advertisement