Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I didn't think any irish people moving abroad were accommodated in hotels, received food, medical cards, welfare payments from day one when they arrived in those countries.

Maybe that happens with all our emigrants to USA, Australia etc and the taxpayers in those countries are happy to foot the bill - who knew....

Leo on rte, just said ireland has taken the highest number of refugees per capita in western europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Why shouldn't the Greens have it?

What would you have given them instead?

And yes, they are all implicit in this **** show

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But we literally have much stricter immigration rules for non-EU citizens and for those without working visas (and even those on the centre or the left have no problem at all with these stricter rules). I'm not sure it's that helpful to refer to refugees as economic migrants - a person can be a genuine refugee or asylum seeker fleeing a bad country and 'also' be an economic migrant who would like to make a better life for him/herself, one doesn't exclude the other.

As a former FG voter, and someone who thinks he gets to much abuse. Varadkar is such a disappointing populist slime ball.

Even when I agree with him my opinion of him goes down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Jesus did you read my post? Here it is again rather than go around in circles.

------------------

Aragh Fine Gael promised to end direct provision in both the 2016 and 2020 general elections. They also created the housing disaster and have been in power for 12 years. How was an inexperienced Green TD given this role? A normal company would not give a major project to a junior newbie.

Aren't his decisions implicitly approved by cabinet and the 2 clueless taoisigh? Where has Michael and Leo disagreed with his policy? Why havent they replaced him with someone more competent?

Let's be a bit adult about all this. None of the Greens should have this role.

FF TDs have Health, Housing and Finance and they are struggling in the first two bigtime. Time for FG TDs to step up. They just want portfolios that make them look good. Useless.

The likes of Doherty and Ring giving out about O'Gorman on the airwaves this weekend - oh **** off you cowardly gombeens. Zero honour in that. Just populist BS.

And I do not vote Green!

------------------

I would give it to one of the following experienced TDs.

Simon Coveney

Simon Harris

Paschal Donohue

Heather Humphreys

Josepha Madigan

Patrick O'Donovan

Martin Heydon

Even Richard Bruton.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Give up digging, be honest you believe we should take in anyone who arrives here, no questions asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Erm no.

I welcome people here, particularly from Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be fair, the Greens probably sought this portfolio and when he was first appointed it was a relatively benign one where he could virtue signal away and not cause too many ructions.

It's a whole other ball game now.

FG didn't make him send that tweet in multiple languages. He's likely a nice idealistic guy who is incredibly out of his depth having never worked in anything but acedemia and theory for his life. Now his misguided, short sighted decisions have consequences

Agree and the consequences are for Irish taxpayers who are experiencing the additional strains on various services that were stretched already due to under investment for decades. An increase of people into the country that is equivalent to the population of Limerick in one year is bound to cause problems.

It reminds me of teenagers who put out the word of a free house party and then can't cope when hordes of strangers arrive at the house. Chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Any amount of charities.

Please give as much as you can stretch to- in a small way it'll take a bit of pressure of taxpayers who have no say in funding this fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

This is the thing, we actually do have strict immigration rules for people who want to do it the right way. In my previous job for example, I worked with an American, a South African, and someone from Malaysia. The former and latter both studied here and subsequently married an Irish person. The both admitted they got married much sooner than they probably would’ve if it didn’t make it easier for them to live and work here - it is a very long, drawn out process even when you marry an Irish person. It was only possible for the South African to work here as her mother was English.

While all these people had relatively good jobs, could support themselves, educated, etc. they would’ve found it very difficult to legally live and work in the country as there wasn’t a particular shortage of their skills, so they wouldn’t qualify for a special work visa, etc. It was only through circumstances of their parentage, or marrying an Irish person (no marriage of convenience here) that allowed them to stay here legally.

But then we’re allowing nearly anyone to come in here to claim asylum who we know will probably will be given leave to remain one way or the other. They don’t have to have any level of skills, work experience, grasp of the English language. Can live off welfare for life if they never fancy working... it seems to be a free for all for one cohort of people we don’t need in the country, while there’s many more people like the examples I gave above all over the world who are educated, can speak the language, will support themselves and would be an asset to the country, but they can’t get in legally. The system is messed up!

I don't care what the Greens want or what their supporters think. Fcuk the Greens. It's much too important for agendas and its too big a job for a party full of inexperienced TDs. They'll be back down to 2/3 seats after the next election anyway.

Give the job to a FG TD who has more experience and the direct ear of the Taoiseach. Let the other moaning FG TDs give out about one of their own. Don't let FG scapegoat this, they are in power for 12 years.

Coveney, for example, was the minister for Foreign Affairs. Loads of experience and contacts in the EU - perfect candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not at all. A person coming from a peaceful country without a working visa has no right to work or live here and I would have no issue whatsoever with Immigration refusing them entry (and this actually happens a lot, despite all the 'open borders' claims).

Yes... And then what do you give the Greens? They wanted a certain number of ministries, and likely asked for this one.

What is your obsession about the Greens? This is about putting the right person in charge of our Immigration policy - why do you care what else the Greens get? Get O'Gorman out and get a senior FG TD in. Simple as that. Are you afraid of hurting their feelings? Make up a ministry, whatever! I'd give the Greens some salad. I'd give Ryan another sleeping pill. O'Gorman already has a job to do with the Mother and Baby home debacle and giving the Tuam babies a decent burial.

Because if the Greens don't agree to go into government, there would have been no government!!

Look the Greens get about my last vote, but were needed for the coalition (and got too much imo)

So you think changing O'Gorman's portfolio will bring down the govt?

So we are stuck with him for the next 2 years ?

Nonsense. Things change, they'll get over it. It's a vote loser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Heard those comments about o Gorman, they were far too soft on him, o Gorman sent out a global invite a year ago or two and ultimately it is he who is the architect of this shambles we now find ourselves faced with

So get him out! He was never up to the job. I knew it immediately. We dont need further proof.

Put Simon or Simon in charge for example. Experienced FG ministers.

Anne Rabitte actually lobbied for the role but she is FF and inexperienced. FF have enough big portfolios and they're not doing so great.

I'd suggest the latest critic Michael Ring but he is a complete buffoon and would fail ever worse. He'd never take it of course, he is just a spoofer.

Architect of the shambles? Wow, that's impressive given the the short timeframe and given everything he did had government approval. You give him too much credit. Anyway he is beyond saving so let's "re-architect" the shambles asap. Tomorrow perhaps?

It suits FG to have some gormless fall guy for this mess , o Gorman perfectly fits the role

Oh I know that but it doesn't suit me or this country. Much too important. It should not be about one hated man. Replace him.

Email your FG TDs and tell them to step up.

The damage is now done, a statue of o Gorman should be erected as a monument to ideological hubris and rank incompetence

seriously though , leave him there until next election, otherwise voters might not punish the Greens sufficiently

Ah stop. Plenty of damage to be done. Plenty. You're all a bit obsessed with having a bogeyman.

Who would want that department though? It covers such a wide range and each element has problems, Tusla, families, youth, disability etc.

Why not move immigration to some other department - justice maybe, and leave ROG to sort out some of the other issues that affect citizens everyday lives - childcare for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Honestly, just get O’Gorman’s hands off the immigration portfolio ASAP, regardless of whatever it takes. He’s utterly incompetent.

Moving it to Justice means it will become McEntee’s brief in future, which is an equally appalling option.

It just needs somebody semi-intelligent with enough backbone to tell the NGOs to go f**k themselves. Surely there are some candidates out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The greens are a funny bunch of gobshites. On the one hand ya have them telling us we need to cut back on consumption in every area of our lives and in the other we have limitless resources to accommodate every tom, dick and harry with no questions asked.

• Advertisement

Oh at this stage it's toxic and they don't want anything to do with it.

At the formation stage, I assume O'Gorman pushed very hard for it

Advertisement