Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I think varadker is just trolling the nation. His feelings are hurt over the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Exactly this. Varadkar throwing his toys out of the pram because those ungrateful Irish peasants didn't vote the way I told them to. We seen this after the general election when he was humiliated there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Was st patrick not brought here as a slave? Odd comparison to make, given the skin colors of those in the tents.

Yes he was. Doesn’t bother Leo’s narcissistic viewpoint. With some luck the voters of D15 get the job done on the next election.

Maybe he has let the cat out of the bag here about those people coming here. Maybe they are not coming here by choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They are still coming in and have nowhere to go so if you think the city center is bad now you've seen nothing yet and with the rise in desperation will come the rise in crime. It will be no-go soon enough.

The government should have shut the doors unapologetically when it became obvious this was out of control and we could no longer cope.

They didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Folksy stuff about St Patrick or the Irish going to America is not cutting it, its starting to sound preachy and it is no help in accommodating thousands of homeless people who should not have been encouraged to come to a country that already has thousands of people in temporary accommodation.

The fact is the country does not have the capacity to help more people. If it did there would be already people who are in the system but living on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Cuts in support for newly arrived Ukrainians have been welcomed by SF. In fact they want further restrictions on those who are here already. Some of their criticisms of the bad effects of HAP payments are interesting. Apparently HAP is OK,.but not for Ukrainians.

I suppose this is to be expected given the meaning of the term "Sinn Fain"

Post edited by Economics101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

Rolling out a European wide database to store scanned images of travel documentation that have to be presented at some point in the travel process before they can be destroyed would help. The information is stored and tagged with flight number, date / time etc. The database can be accessed by Immigration officials of all EU countries. So, when someone arrives claiming to have no documentation it should be relatively painless to ascertain on which flight they arrived from. Build a massive holding area in Dublin airport, fill it with camping beds for sleeping on. Anyone who arrives without the documentation that was originally scanned should be held and then eventually returned to the country of origin or their home country. I mean, we know where the majority are coming from. I'd probably be described as a woke leftie for my views but I'd have absolutely no problem about any or all of the above happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Ah but but but what about our civil liberties and our right to privacy and our right to travel without being spied upon....(Meanwhile they use Google and social media!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There should be a tent put over the whole country because its a circus now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Think hes been like that since sinn fein got a majority last election. Spiteful individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

So we’re gonna backfill the former Ukrainian accommodation with the continually arriving Asylum seekers as they become available….thousands of Ukrainians leaving their state provided accommodation per the article

Which begs the question: as they leave the state provided accommodation, where are the 100K+ Ukrainians moving to?

A small amount might be leaving Ireland, but the vast majority will now be entering the private rental market, which is already beyond strained, to compete with Irish citizens. This will drive prices up even further past their current ridiculous levels for everyone, and make it more difficult for everyone to find somewhere. Just fantastic.

As you said an absolute shitshow. But I guess someone somewhere is going to make a wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Repro212

Brilliant post BolloxChop, sums up my own feelings and am sure many others. Like you say it's not good for the head to dwell on but it's hard to switch off from what's going on when the results are all around us. Valid concern and anxiety over the Ireland our children will inherit doesn't make you racist or far right and the loons who cant see the wood for the woke and throw those accusations around are every bit as unhelpful and dangerous as the right wing extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm always happy to defend refugees because I think concept that they deserve to be attacked is fairly abhorrent. I'll never get the mentality that a person trying to improve their situation in life should be attacked because of that. Why do you think someone like that deserves to be attacked?

As for how many more can we actually take, until there is some sort of sensible system in place that's difficult to answer. Roughly, how long do you think it will take for us to get back to pre famine levels? Another 6 months?

I don't think anyone defends people who cheat the system. I continuously wonder why they are allowed cheat the system. There is a system in place, it's the responsibility of the government to implement it and if they don't, they should.be held accountable. I don't think the anyone asylum seekers should be held accountable and genuine asylum seekers should be refused because of that.

The Government's new approach now seems to be not giving houses to refugees and we have a lovely tent city built now in Dublin city centre. I've no idea why anyone feels that's an improvement though or a step in the right direction. But yes, I'm sure it will only be a matter of weeks before these people are driving around in their brand new cars paid for by the tax payers. The question is, will be a merc? A BMW? A Tesla? Who knows.

Why do you have such hatred for foreigners?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

O'Gorman will deliver his medium to long term plan this month which will hopefully explain how the numbers will be dealt with going forward.

Will be interesting to hear, but will need to be some plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I wouldn't hold my breath personally...

It'll be long on rhetoric, short on real targets or details I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Question, was there anyone prosecuted for burning down the hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Advertisement

He will (unfortunately) as will Catherine Martin (despite her cack-handed approach to the RTE scandals). To get rid of them would destabilise the Government so instead they'll pretend "it's grand" and hope we all forget about it.

The parties in this government are operating on the MAD (Mutually assured destruction) principle and know that if they have to face the electorate they are going to be destroyed especially the Greens, even though personally I think FG have been worse. No matter how incompetent Ministers Martin and O'Gorman are they are safe in that knowledge knowing this especially after the results of the referendum. Kinda reminds me of the time that Trump said he could walk out the door of Trump Plaza in New York and shoot someone and would get away with it.

I don't expect anything from O'Gorman in his medium to long range plan as come this time next year he may not be in the Dáil and the mess that he and this government have created will fall to someone else to clean up and therefore O'Gorman and the Greens couldn't give a rats arse about this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd say it will read like a pie in the sky fantasy short story.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭zell12

One FF senator goes off the party message

“Common sense has to come in here. Ballaghadereen has probably taken proportionately the most of any town in Ireland. The town can take no more, and has been very welcoming. There was no-one last night trying to push people out.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Must say I'd respect politicians opinion alot more if they stopped the vulnerable people, war and strife line and admitted the vast vast majority are economic migrants, and admit so themselves.

Also the policy of letting males only sleep rough, makes an absolute mockery of the so called equality movement and is outrageously sexist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Who could have predicted this??

Oh wait it’s been said here for well over a year and was dismissed (baselessly) as usual

Only a matter of time before the whole thing collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Great to see our new members getting on

It probably already has. One way or another we have many tens of thousands of people in the State that we will have to find long-term solutions for thanks to the incompetence and arrogance of this Government and FG over the last decade (and longer really).

It's not just the logistical challenges of health, housing and so on either. The cultural and integration issues and problems (that we're now seeing with increasing frequency - both directly and in the form of increasing and understandable resentment from the locals) will be with us for decades as a result of this and what has happened in other countries where this "Great Experiment" has been attempted, will also happen here. We're neither unique or exempt in that regard.

Ireland has fundamentally changed as a result of this mess (and not for the better!). It won't be the current TDs and NGO that have to deal with the fallout. It'll be the rest of us and our children.

• Advertisement
Advertisement