Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Congrats caller, that's the phrase that pays, biNGO......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I've long thought that the far left here would take some steps too far that would actually result in at least a partial retrenchment of the liberalism and the power of NGO's of the last decades. It was hard to believe the arrogance of one of them "warning" the government over their use of language this morning. A government who is responsible for a huge chunk of his charities revenue.

Social policy has been an area with a lot of movement and the State has changed a lot under this policy area in recent years. Now the winds of change are blowing I wonder how much inertia the State has in its ever leftward march. Maybe it's a storm that will pass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We know this was organised by the far right for a fact. The 'protest march' in Liverpool was arranged and publicised at short notice on Telegram channels by various far right groups that evening. No "concerned citizens".....these groups had already been discussing the hotel in online posts for a good two weeks beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Edited out

Post edited by mikemac2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

My first time in town for a few weeks this morning.

I have never seen so many people in door ways or on the street in sleeping bags.

The sleeping bags I'm sure cold and wet from the rain.

Congratulations to the government and all the cheerleaders for increasing homelessness.

Ye must be proud watching the number of people living on the streets.

A change of policy is badly needed and quick before our streets are full of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It's all documented that those scum were involved so I'm not sure why anyone would deny it unless they are sympathisers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Government policy does not happen by magic. The voters don't want the housing crisis solved, they want the "everyone should own a house" crisis solved and that is not the same thing. The day attitudes change is will be the first opportunity to solve the housing crisis and not until then. To solve the housing crisis requires people to accept that they can't all own a house, just like in the rest of Europe, so sadly, there will need to be a lot more pain before we see any movement.

It is abundantly clear to young people they can't own a house in this country or in most cases find a place to rent.

It's why so many of our brightest from college or those finishing up learning a trade are emigrating to other countries.

Fair play to the likes of Australia getting in skilled people who will benefit the country.

While we are replacing our brightest with illegals who are a drain on the country.

This country is going to be in some state in the next 10 years and its scary when you consider how bad it is already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think you are wrong saying voters/people "don't want the housing crisis solved, they want the "everyone should own a house" crisis solved and that is not the same thing. " and we have heard this from government and their supporters time and time again. What people want is to have the ability to either buy or rent accommodation/housing at reasonable rates and where there is a supply. At the moment there is none of that, most house prices for people buying are out of reach and there is a lack of availability in the rental sector. To assume as you have that "everyone should own a house" is the issue is the wrong and the reason why this is not being solved. People have different requirements for living somewhere, some want to rent but can't because there is nowhere to rent or that the rent is sky high. Yes others do want to buy a house but can't because again there the prices of the house is too high and again there is a lack of options. There needs to be the options for those who want to rent to rent either privately or publicly at the moment they can do neither and the same for housing where people can either buy privately if the have the means or publicly if make whatever criteria there is for public housing. But to narrow it down to just " everyone should own a house" is wrong and is why this problem is not being solved. It actually very sad and disappointing to see that type of post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

To solve the housing crisis requires people to accept that they can't all own a house

This is essentially an admission that our quality of life is declining because of modernist worldviews. You wouldn't dare admit that of course being a modernist, but this was not the norm not so long ago. Everyone I know above a certain age owns a home, it was completely mainstream to own a home by a certain age in Ireland only 10 or 15 years ago. Yet now the people who promote this world and will continue to promote it, essentially tell us all that we should just deal with the decline.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

It's ironic when you think of it.

People with little means to offer anything to our country are illegally coming here for a better life.

Irish kids who should be the future of the country are moving to other countries for a better life.

We are basically educating our kids for the benefit of Australia and Canada while replacing them with illegals who cannot support themselves.

The likes of Australia must be laughing at us.

We need a zero refugee policy on illegals and immediately, enough damage has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

It's bitterly ironic. I know several young Irish people who are educated and skilled, currently leaving because this country cannot offer them a decent life. I've lived through that before as I was a teenager in the 1980s. But no matter how bad things got back then, we couldn't have imagined the plot twist of our country filling up with randoms from all over the globe, people who have no interest in our history, traditions or culture, and many of whom are unemployed and unemployable. We just could not have imagined anything so cruel and destructive.

Is that not a contradiction? You're saying that Irish people who move abroad are valuable assets and bring a lot to their new country but people who come here have nothing to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I said the word illegals have nothing to offer.

I am not sure if you don't understand the word or deliberately ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I don’t know how many times it needs to be explained to you that illegal chancers coming into this country to go into direct provision are not the same as an Irish person (who will usually have a skill or a degree) emigrating to Australia/Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's a false premise, unsurprisingly.

More Irish nationals immigrated back to Ireland than left in the past 3 years.

Highest returning amount since 2007 last year.

The anecdotes don't correlate with actually reality.

Also it's not the 1980s anymore, people are emigrating because they want to not because they have to.

10 years ago when we bulldozing housing estates net outward migration of Irish nationals was very high.

Also rough sleepers have very little to with housing stock as their problems are far more acute, there was more rough sleepers in the capital during the boom then there is now.

People are arriving in ireland illegally.

They are referred to as illegal immigrants.

You know what the term illegal immigrant means.

Have you anything to add besides calling me a bigot for referring to them by the correct term?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People are arriving in ireland illegally.

They are referred to as illegal immigrants.

You know what the term illegal immigrant means.

I know it gets thrown around far too often as a slur.

And being an illegal migrant doesn't mean you lost all your life skills. In fact in the US a particular issue is businesses taking immense advantage of undocumented laborers, far from having no skills. 8 of 11 million 'illegals' are participants in the labor force, account for 5% of the US workforce (Pew Research Center).

Still though, skills or no skills is irrelevant when it comes to illegal immigrants. Come in illegally and you have to go.

That's the whole point of having borders and a visa application system.

• Advertisement

But a majority here are claiming that refugees who come here are not refugees at all and are in fact "economic migrants" of a young working age who are seeking to better themselves. Wouldn't that mean they are perfectly employable in fact?

Illegal immigrants can't work for 6 months I believe when they arrive in ireland.

How exactly are they going to contribute to the country.

Again why do you keep bringing up America in a topic about refugees in ireland, it is completely off topic and nothing to do with ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Of course they are, did you not see the videos of them rioting in citywest a few weeks ago.

Doctors vs engineers apparently, totally frustrated at being unable to work and contribute to our pensions!

The Canadians n Australians are idiots and/or racist for not allowing them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Not really no considering many don’t have a word of English, will only work in low skill jobs that Irish people will have to compete with them for and will drive down wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Since you are so concerned and knowledgeable with the USA, lets say I as an Irish Citizen leaves Shannon Airport to fly to Chicago, and once I arrive in O'Hare, I suddenly have no passport or documentation to prove my national identity. What's going to happen in that situation?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

You get put up in a hotel til the yanks get through the backlog, then you get your foreva home and you then repatriate your family over. Every country does this ,don't they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭cal naughton

While in some respect they are employable in some capacity, the irony is the ideal starter industry where they could get a job in, Hotels and other hospitality have been virtually wiped out due hosting of fellow migrants.

Say it’s irrelevant again to the employers of over 8 million illegals in the US

• Advertisement

Unlike Ireland the US has a great flight visa pleclearance program. You wouldn’t even be allowed to board the flight before being booked in by US Customs at Shannon. A solution I’ve proposed Ireland do. Then someone complained that Ireland couldn’t possibly preclear from all the arrival points so I suggested limit the number of arrival points and preclear those, that was deemed too restrictive. The zero refugee people have to decide if they want to eat the cake or have it.

Advertisement