Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am just reading about the bomb threat on McEntee's home and it makes me very angry. There are a lot of excited and violent idiots getting involved in the immigration protests and they need to be sent back to the pond. I find this government very inept but I will defend them all day long in the face of these cowardly thugs that burn things and threaten families and intimidate decent people. The peaceful protesters need to do their level best to eject these amoebas from proceedings.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Helen McEntee herself said there have been less than 100 deportations in over a year.

That's a huge incentive to submit an asylum claim in Ireland. The system here is so slow with so many opportunities for appeal and with lots of well funded NGO's and lawyers who know all the tricks in holding up the process.

This government have made a conscious effort to loosen and relax the asylum process to encourage more applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The legacy of the late Peter Sutherland's vision lives on.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-18519395

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

That is just going to happen naturally. Every group has its extremists. It's only a matter of time before someone is hurt if they continue to treat Irish citizens like mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

80% of Irish citizens are against Irish government policy of open borders free for all ,so we really can not be suprised at bomb threats and protests at government minister homes .Where it will end .God only knows but our government is acting against the will of the majority of the citizens of this country

• Advertisement

We may not be surprised or blame "extremists" but we must all condemn violent actions like this, from cowardly brain dead thugs, as loud as possible. We must condemn it over and over and over. They must be shunned or it will escalate and the idiots will take over. They think they are heroes, they are the lowest form of life. Bomb threats against very young children, disgusting.

Honestly I don't know what to think.

When the government owns the police, owns the media, and owns the banks, and just does what they want to the detriment of the people, and when their actions harm society I find their use of nice fluffy words with ribbons on top just as dangerous, infuriating, and cowardly as the threats of the 'braindead thugs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'm as vehemently anti 'current gov policy on migration' as they come. I think McEntee is a millimeter above being handicapped as far as her ability goes.

But this crap this morning is all wrong and all it will do is deflect attention from her woeful performance in her portfolio. It will just gain sympathy for her and copperfasten the opinion of gov that they are right.

Whoever did this needs to be caught and severely dealt with. They've damaged our ability to protest against this corrupt and inept government.

For a moment I thought it might be a false flag operation (the timing is convenient) but as bad as they are, I doubt they'd do that.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

RTE notably promoting Leo's message to us last night - that we just don't understand refugee and immigration policy and sure, it'll all be grand if it were just explained properly to us.

That had me scowling. Varadkar had some good points but this above is just self serving arrogance and plain insulting to the many Irish people affected by these rapidly changing times. How dare he utter that patronising advice from his smug personal situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There must be a rather large "pull" factor for Ireland amongst IPAs since a large number (probably more than those arriving in Dublin Airport) are getting here via NI. Why are they not staying there or UK? Maybe there could be an alignment of asylum/IPA benefits etc. between Ireland and the UK, since they don't want to be there, but want to be HERE.

Is there any point to an agreement between the two countries? The intra EU migration pact will not apply to the UK post Brexit, but both countries are aligned in other matters such as free movement (of citizens), Health care, Pensions, and benefits etc.

But then again why would the UK agree to this if Rwanda is their solution. I think I'd better think it out again….

And he only thought it might be worth explaining it to us after he resigns. How many years has he been in power? Did he explain it last night?

The worst taoiseach in the history of the state.

Nope. There is no excuse for bomb threats on homes with little kids. Any homes. No excuse or validation whatsoever. They are attention seeking maggots and discredit the legitimate protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The benefits are basically similar, housing, small amount of money each week and healthcare. In fact, they might even be better in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You misunderstood what I was saying. The fact that the numbers of asylum claims have been rising exponentially across Europe for the last two years may mean that EU member states have felt forced to decline more and more asylum claims (at a higher rate than previously), because the system was getting overwhelmed i.e. this may explain why the refusal rate has increased seemingly in tandem with the actual rise in numbers applying.

It might simply be that Ireland is now starting to catch up with our continental neighbours in terms of refusals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Nope, no chance, sunak has just been on sky news stating that,migrants heading to Ireland is proof that the Rwanda deterant is already working,he said with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Deleted

As soon as they qualify for stamp 4 here they are on full rate jobseekers E232/week ,fuel allowance 33/week rent allowance ,medical card and household benefits 10/week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It does mean Sunak is a total hypocrite. The Tories and their press pals have been complaining bitterly for years about France not stopping asylum seekers at their ports and allowing them to travel to the UK, but now are gleeful that asylum seekers are leaving GB and heading to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

It's all a bit strange. Refugees are fleeing France to get to the UK and fleeing the UK to get to Ireland. Has it really been proven that lots of refugees are crossing the border to get into the republic? I just find it hard to trust a lot of the statements been put out by several countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Aren't you supposed to seek asylum at the first safe county you arrive in? So why are we allowing anyone coming from France then the UK and finally here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

The US also has a strict pre clearance system.

Part of the purpose of this is to greatly lesson the likelihood of anyone showing up who might seek asylum, with or without documents.

It also allows agreements to be in place for airlines to return people.

We could have the same here but would make travel for everyone much more difficult and do nothing for people arriving through the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

with rishi sunak claiming their rwanda policy is already working with flight of would be migrants heading to ireland as evidence, looks like our government has now become rapidly freaked with talk of emergency laws to send bogus applicants back to UK again - that didnt take long ....

Govt to consider emergency laws to send asylum seekers back to UK

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0427/1446053-sunak-rwanda/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

I thought there was a ruling that the UK is not a safe country so asylum seekers cannot be sent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

So our government can actually act unilaterally if they want to. But I thought that international treaties prevented them from doing so. The government were fooling us, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

He also made two comparisons that are false. One was an English black guy living here felt more racism around - that English guy is here legally through the common travel area, is not an asylum seeker and is likely working. Then the usual "look at all the foreign staff in the HSE" spiel, which again has absolutely nothing to do with our fraudulent asylum system.

This is also the same Leo Vardkar who over the last few months has conveniently dropped "climate change" as one of the reasons for increased migration. Trying to soften up middle Ireland to just accept the illegality and human trafficking.

He must think the common people are absolute fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The government should have an immigration emergency for all these IPAs and Ukrainians.

We're are that stage of this absolutely **** show

what happens when they are granted refugee status ,they are even claiming jobseekers allowance with permit cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sunjava

An intelligent conversation, covers this topic in the first half.

Advertisement