Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Plenty of evidence this is occurring

So here we have the double standard, posters up in here are using the USA as an example of how we should deal with illegals, but then conveniently ignore what actually happens at USA airport border control when they deal with the same issue that the Irish people are told to ignore

As I have said, lets see how long I last trying to enter the USA airport border control without a passport.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And all that by an unvetted military aged man who might be a rapist...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

“I would be surprised if all of those travel documents are left on-board Ryanair flights or flushed down toilets on aircraft,” he said. “I don’t believe that happens. I think they are retained.

He seems to think they are getting through border control on legitimate documentation, so they've gotten exactly as far as you'd get going through US border patrol. Past border control. In fact you'd get further in the USA cause you'd get out of the airport.

Nah, sure it's a good natured fiddle when we do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

You don't have the same preclearance infrastructure where these inbound flights are coming from though. There is no Irish preclearance in Frankfurt airport or Schiphol. Your passport must be provided when you enter this state.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh yeah treat certain people as lesser based on skin colour, religion and nationality and claim its not far right 😐

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This makes no sense. I don't think you have your finger on the pulse.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I too get irrationally angry at things that I've wrongly inferred.

Georgia and Albania (2 of the frequently mentioned countries here) both require visas to come to Ireland, if nobody at the outgoing airports is checking the validity of said visas or letting people on with fake documentation, then the Ire should be directed at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If I got off a foreign inbound flight in the United States and informed the authorities I had lost all my identifying documents on the way what would happen to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

They'd return you to the country you just arrived from. If you refuse to tell them which flight you came in on, they'd check airport cctv and they'd figure it out within 10 minutes.

If you claim refugee status, you,d go straight to a holding centre and be processed very quickly if you can't prove you are a genuine refugee.

Nearly all current 'refugee' applicants in the US crossed the Mexican border by foot, which we know is hard to control and manage eg. Look at foot crossings into Europe. Airport arrival is very different as the authorities are in full control, and passports & visas are checked at each departing country by the airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'd say they'd be questioning how did you even get on the flight without having a passport?

I have flown aerlingus, virgin and BA to the states over the years since 9/11. Each airlines can see if we have vaild and approved ESTA's when they scan our passports at check-in. There must be a link to the US border control system.How do I know this ? I have a US visa, the rest of my family needs ESTA's. When we checkin, they always ask me if I have a visa as thry have told me in the past that they cant see an ESTA on the system for me. Also, if we do an online check in, they system always tells me I cannot checkin online, that I must checkin at a desk. The rest can checkin online, as they system can confirm their ESTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would that be like these illegals who hate Europeans, lgbt people and have backwards views towards women.

But you are falling over yourself to import these people into Ireland.

You never seem to be able to answer why you hate irish far right people but cheer on foreignenrs with right wing views.

In general you dont seem to engage in any discussion, just general comments nobody says, ignore replies and come back the next day to do the same.

Can you answer why you want to import people with right wing views into Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Who has ever said the hosuing crisis lack of accommodation is down to refugees or asylum ssekers ?

Who?

What any sane person is saying is it hasn't helped but made things worse.

Now if you can't see that then you need to seriously have a think about how supply and demand works.

Nah he is trying to play both sides.

He wants to maintain his right on image so he doesn't get negative media coverage to make sure he gets that next cushy gig in New York or Brussels.

And he must be feeling heat from his own party who as sure as hell have backbenchers getting worried about their patches.

For instance I would bet the likes of Michael Ring is looking at Breaffy and wondering how the fook he could get any votes there.

Alright it isn't his patch, but he would expect 2nd or 3rd preferences at least.

He would definitely be worried about trourism in his domain of Westport and what hits that would take this year.

The likes of Ringer is not some globalist, but a pragmatist who knows the public mood and they will not want the charade to continue.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I wonder if Michael Ring will be even running next time. Big exodus in both FF and FG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And if you presented yourself to US immigration would they bus you to a hotel or office block and tell you have free reign of the states?

The pro lunacy side have a playbook going here.

First it was they come from a hell hole war zone so we have to save them.

Then when we say they are coming from African, Middle Eastern, Asian and non EU European states not at war we are still being told they are afraid and have to leave so we must help them.

Then when we say how come it is only young men, we are told it is too dangerous for the women to travel - obviously it is ok to leave them in the hell war zones.

Oh and we are all incels. Whatever the fook that is meant to convey. 🙄

Then when asked why they have no documents even though they arrive on flights we are told it is because they are afraid they will be deported back to the hell hole war zone.

Then we now have how the US has illegals and they work so why shouldn't we allow it, even though they refuse to differentiate between illegals arriving over land and those that fly into US.

Then when there are no answers to these points they resort to

• how the Irish emigrated and still do.
    • how we need immigrants to do work and they have helped build our global economy
    • and we need doctors, nurses and engineers
    • oh and we have a pension timebomb coming (I could counter we may have more old school bombs in the future)

Of course you could probably count on one hand those demanding a stop to the current lunacy who have also said they want to stop legal immigrants who fill required skills deficits.

We simply want to stop the illegal immigrants, the vast majority of which are uneducated unskilled immigrants who are going to be drain on states services that are already in short supply.

And some of us want to stop refugees because we simply cannot cope with the numbers of legitimate refugees already here.

Have to add here some bright spark will come back and claim they are "not illegal" since they are "seeking protection" or claiming "asylum".

FFS to the vast majority of people legal means you have a right to enter and go about your business be it you are a citizen, an EU citizen or have legal VISA or given special dispensation as Ukrainian.

Illegal means you are none of the above.

Then when someone states we want to close down refugee/asylum seeker/those seeking protection they jump on this to mean we would allow no immigrants and allow nobody in from even EU.

FFS it actually looks like the ones for this effectively open borders mullarkey have absolutely no common sense or are the most disingenuous crowd of shysters we have ever had the misfortune to have living in our country.

I am not allowed discuss …

There's a Muslim guy who's part of a group I play sport with sometimes. He's alright, for the most part, but he's strongly against what's represented in your profile pic, and has no problem saying it. It's a sin in his religion, and illegal back in his country.

Would you consider him "far-right"? Do you welcome people like him to Ireland?

There's many more like him, btw. You're not going to change their belief system.

And if you presented yourself to US immigration would they bus you to a hotel or office block and tell you have free reign of the states?

They bus you to accommodation in one of the most picturesque places on earth.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

jmayo threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

does it have a zero refugee policy?

policies change.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I get perplexed everytime you quote a post of mine because you respond with something that has no relevance to what I said.

I asked you a simple yes or no question.

Are they allowed to work in the US at all?

Your question missed the point, hence the insistence on such a nonsense binary answer:

Employers are required to refuse to hire, or terminate, an undocumentedworker once they learn of her lack of work authorization. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) makes it illegal for employers to knowingly hire or continue to employ undocumented workers.

in spite of this, 8 million are working

I am talking about ireland in a thread about refugee policy in ireland.

Why are you quoting me about immigrants in America.

I am not discussing America in a thread related to ireland and I have no idea why you are either.

It has nothing to do with the thread and is off topic, which has been pointed out and ignored by you several times.

But I thought we should take an American approach, seems to be the feeling in the last couple of pages by people who clearly don't know what an American approach is.

Maybe you should take that up with them.

If I suggested such a thing in the last few pages quote that post and I will respond.

America doesn’t know what an American approach is :) but we still preclear the flights. As to people working even when disallowed, millions do. And Ireland could change its work laws as easily as its refugee policy so I don’t know why some people are acting like the 6 month rule is either set in stone or not being abused already anyway.

US is 140 times larger (surface area) than Ireland, with 335M population, compared with 5M in Ireland. Currently open vacancies in the states is 11M. Yes, 11M jobs needs to be filled right now, with less than 9M officially unemployed. US has huge wealth and a high GDP compared with Ireland, fuelled by Industries such as Finance, Tech & IT, Pharma/Medical, Agriculture, Automotive, Aviation, Oil, Gas, Military equipment, tourism, etc. US has thousands of hospitals, clinics, healthcare centers, both private and public. There are more schools and colleges/Universities in the US than the whole of Europe combined.

There is just no way Ireland can be compared with the states on the topic of illegal migrants.

I dont agree with entering a country illegal. But the simple fact is that the US can absorb illegal workers (cleaners, carers, constructiin, farm workers, etc), whereas Ireland cannot. There is limited oppurtunities for illegal work in Ireland, its too small a country and economy. Think of cash in hand jobs ? Child minding .... it will be a local lady who you know and trust. Car wash workers .. there are only so many car washes in Ireland. Trawler fishing ? Most employers can get work permits for non EU fishing workers, they get spot checks by the navy and Irish Fishery Authorities quite a bit, they dont employ too many illegals. Carers ? Nearly all Philippines with work permits. Some Brazilian women with no permits, but a tiny %.

540 planes a day arrive into Dublin airport, so you want to shut the airport down by 7.30am and employ thousands upon thousands of border patrol, and who's going to pay for the return flights?

• Advertisement

Do you want “zero refugees” or not?

(why thousands for 500 flights to 1 airport? You don’t need to kill the staff off and rehire after they check each flight)

Advertisement