Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Oh I concur, we need actual leadership and not the virtue signaling, EU-centric political class we have today.
    What they will do, is allow the out-of-control situation to manifest, and then use that as rationale for signing up to the EU Migration Pact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

No worries. I'm not going near this thread anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

No, the only hope of a return to common sense is if a large number of independents are voted into the next Dail and the main parties depend on their support.

Or better still, they take a beating in the local and Euro elections and it forces them to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

No, the only hope of a return to common sense is if a large number of independents are voted into the next Dail and the main parties depend on their support.

Or better still, they take a beating in the local and Euro elections and it forces them to act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭pauly58

I agree, vote for anyone in the local & Euro elections but FFFGG candidates, it might give them a shock , failing that all that is left is marches of a scale as was done for water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Politicians aren't the answer I'm afraid.

This is your future.

Ireland becoming a dump.

It has already been ruined in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A list made up of some scandalous points regarding allowing access to work.

As an example:

Why should someone from Afghanistan be allowed live in state paid urban bed and boards and tip off every morning to a construction site. And then go home every evening with literally zero overheads.

Compared to some young irish lad looking to get started in the construction industry having to compete against the IPA while hamstrung by the lack of accommodation affordable or otherwise near urban centres resulting in him having to get up at 4 in the morning to get in a van to travel to work. He then gets to pay for all his food out of his own pocket too as a reward for being Irish.

Do you not see how this creates a completely uneven playing field?

Large building companies would be mad to employ Irish labourers as a lower wage packet would look much more appealing to an IPA who has zero overheads therefore the company can save money by employing IPAs and paying them a bit less than they'd need to pay Irish workers to attract them.

It's the same for any other sorta employment: service industry, care etc.

You're essentially advocating the state provide a subsidised work force for large scale employers and pit them against the native population in a race to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's all here if you have the energy to read it at all. Of course those considering different countries for their claim can window shop from the stats and head over to the best option for them. And Telegram/Facebook is a good resource too, I forgot that…

https://asylumineurope.org/about-aida/

Anyway a couple of achievable things IMV short term that are not criminal or vindictive….

The IPAS should be based in Citywest. That's where the majority are bussed to at the start, before being filtered out elsewhere. There is no need for this service to be in the City Centre at all. I realise staff will have to move.

Back to Direct Provision. No money payments at all, but needs taken care of by IPAS or whoever. Maybe that's the case already, but I'm not sure.

Citizenship rules for those who originally arrived as IPAs should be twice that of everyone else. They may get leave to remain, but cannot gain citizenship in the same way as others i.e. spouses of Irish citizens, those who resided here for the number of years and are working with a valid visa etc.

Family reunification to be tightened up. How I don't know, but it seems pretty generous to me at present.

There are many other approaches that might organise the system better within the law. We are a sovereign country after all, at least I thought we were!

Small enough things I know in the grand scheme, but mass deportations will not happen anytime soon if at all, so a start has to be made somewhere else I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I agree with most of your suggestions, family reunification in particular should be limited to spouse, children maybe elderly parents.

Im just wondering on the citizenship thing though, why would you make.It harder for them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

yep to be crystal clear - absolutely minimal Relationship - just sharing an interesting figure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭newhouse87

….

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

I’d agree with this, these types of internal policies are used effectively in Denmark, they include increased thresholds for protection, reduced protection time-limits, reduced access to the labour market, increased detention and, as you mention, reduced family reunification. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

So the migrant male who comes to Europe allegedly fleeing, war, violence, persecution and all that good stuff, why would they leave their spouse and children alone in a war zone while they trek across multiple borders? Surely a genuine asylum seeker would have their close family with them?

Has been linked on thread multiple times.

There are many reasons, wildly reported.

Dangerous conditions (dinghys in the med?) More women and children drown trying to cross the Med, then men.

Also, Men are much more likely to be killed at home, or imprisoned, or tortured. Women and children are more likely to be spared those incidents.

Men travelling alone can move quicker and have less slowing them down, they don't need as much food or attention as children. they will also stay places that they wouldn't want or wouldn't be appropriate for their wives and children.

They may have just enough money for one person to travel.

Bringing wives and children over, once they are safe, with somewhere to bring them, is always better then dragging them thousands of kilometres on dangerous journeys.

Many other reasons, there are plenty of reports about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

don't worry, there are plenty of people in Newtown who will show them the way to Greystones, might even organise a mini bus run.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I got to stop watching RTE news, it just makes my blood absolutely boil.

We're going to be stuck with economic migrates coming from the UK via NI and there's nothing we can do.

This new legislation is all a smoke screen and this Government cannot do a thing to send this immigrates back. Lets say we process these immigrates where do we send them back to? I suspect most don't even have passports…..

That's another thing, there's bound to be numerous immigrates entering Ireland via NI without a passport, they're not UK or Irish residents and should be arrested.

Post edited by Headshot on

• Advertisement

Citizenship is a privilege. A big one at that and I personally think it is handed out far too easily as it is. Anyway the general rule is residency for five years, then apply. For spouses of Irish citizens and those with refugee status (presumably apart from Ukrainians recently, these would have originally been IPAs) it is three years.

That in my view is far too short a time for refugees. An Irish passport is very valuable, EU freedom of movement, visa free travel to certain countries like US., voting, State supports and so on.

I think AS and refugees need to prove their loyalty to this country and therefore should have a longer wait for citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Busy day, 255 new post. Problem with the other thread closed, everything ends up in here.

Anyway, word is, that 60 were brought into Newtown, although 2 have already been seen getting the bus back to Dublin.

But something odd going on, serious garda presence in the town again, water cannon, mounted police the lot. Maybe moving more in tonight and expecting trouble.

That's a lot of reasons, and I'm sure this has been covered many times but I'm not looking over 18000 posts to find them.

How it looks to people in Europe is that these young men are leaving for economic reasons as they don't even have their own families/kids and look healthy, well fed and with smartphones and new clothes..and are paying people smugglers thousands of dollars to get to europe, with the UK and Ireland costing upwards of €/$5000++

So you can see why people don't want the floodgates for these single male migrants staying opened on Europe's borders..?

Sounds like they're preparing for War not for a protest by the local residents association?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, I would agree with you and as for so called reports on the matter, paper never refused ink.

Absolutely, should require a lengthy period say 10 years of proven residence and tax paying.

As noted above, no sign of any state camps in Greystones or Dalkey or Malahide & Howth. Newtown is historically more of a village assoc with council housing. One of the matters that needs further investigation is how the state came to be in possession of facilities at places like Crooksling and Trudder House. Did the state buy them outright? Were there conditions/ understandings attached that they would serve local community health needs when the state acquired them? And if there were, is the state in breach of any such conditions now with this quite different use.

Similar to how the church acquired many schools, with lands donated and fundraising locally to establish them.. only to find down the road the church claiming full ownership.

I'm not suggesting that is the reason that all these people are travelling, I'm just answering the question as to why it happens that men travel and leave the wives and children at home.

Maybe some bright spark will suggest re-inhabiting places like the Great Blasket and giving the IPAs a shovel and a packet of seed potatoes. Our Navy can keep a RIB onshore at Slea Head and monitor dinghy escapees. I'm sure they'll be fine with the right resources as we are told they are engineers and doctors mostly.

Well you replied with some explanation thanks, but getting anyone out of a warzone or across borders is going to be dangerous/almost impossible at anytime, not like when the single male gets here that they can just send back flight tickets to get from somewhere like Damascus or Kabul back to Dublin, so it would make sense that if the migrant had a family or family members in danger back home that they'd attempt the cross borders journey with them…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Two further points

1) I noticed in photos of the Mount Street camp that tents by the company and retail outlet Trespass were quite prominent in terms of numbers. Did Trespass donate these and/or have they been profiting from this carry on? I'd like to know so I can choose where to shop.

2) Britain's Rwanda policy may end up to be to our benefit as pointed out by a politician earlier on radio. If this policy sticks, it will have a significant disincentive factor to those coming across from mainland Europe to Britain. Therefore there will be less seeking to move onto Ireland. Why bother trekking to Ireland from mainland Europe to gain asylum in the EU if you have to bypass Britain on the way? To buttress this, we need to make it very clear there are absolutely no extra benefits being here than other EU states.

• Advertisement

Tbf, it as absolutely easier to get people out from the outside, then it is for those inside to get out and undertake dangerous journeys, particularly if they have kids with them.

there are always people, organisations and governments that get people out.

And, like I said, I'm not claiming this is the case for all those people claiming asylum, but they are just facts in relation to people fleeing.

Advertisement