Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

don’t worry as soon as they learn english they will build us 250k houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Miharo

Because it literally says it. Now will you answer my question? Is the University of Amsterdam an illegitimate research body?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭pauly58

Did anyone read the article in The Times this morning, https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irelands-far-right-activists-face-arrest-under-anti-terror-laws-nvhwvxq3q

Basically, the Irish Government are planning to use anti-terrorism laws to combat far right activists. In other words, anyone who criticizes the position on immigration can be charged. It doesn't need much to see the proposed hate speech law can also be used in this way. What's next, someone reading the posts here & obtaining e mail addresses.

Scary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

Does anyone know why this government isn't taking the necessary steps to create any deterrent?

The answer can only be one of the following

They are totally incompetent

They believe it is or will be beneficial to the country so want it to continue.

They are just following others who want it to continue because they think it is or will be beneficial to everyone

They are just following others without understanding the others are incompetent.

They can't create a deterrent

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's noticeable that FG have gone very quiet on this. And as for O'Gorman - completly MIA.

I believe the are actually in a state of denial against the reality.

A shanty town in Dublin. Unbelievable. We'll have favelas in the mountains with this incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fran38

Why isn't the gov employing any deterrents? BECAUSE ITS A F@CK#iING PLAN!!! Why cant ye bozo's get a grasp on this? I've written about how Coveney said we'll hit over a million more people in Ireland by 2030. The reasons are for all to read on other social media platforms.

Also, the gov are not 'out of touch with the people'. They know EXACTLY how the people feel but ars duty bound to follow WEF guidelines on dituting national sovereignty. I'm sick of reading why this why that. Get ye'r heads out of your arses & get informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For those who think only Ireland is struggling with the asylum seeker question :

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just use the block/ignore list is my solution.

There's no point in trying to discuss or debate in the face of tactics that you describe - no minds will be changed or even opened to other points. Whether it's because of misguided idealism or contrarianism I don't know, but there's no point in getting bogged down or deflected by it.

As you rightly say, this has blown up from a matter of concern at the very start (as shown in this and other threads), to the second most important issue in the country according to today's Sunday Independent poll and the results of that are clear with a sizeable percentage even favouring our own Rwanda solution, and SF making gains via their flip-flop on the issue.

But we have stars like Simon Harris (who is the most Taoiseach by Default we've seen since Cowen), Helen McEntee (who is possibly the worst minister for Justice in the history of the State), Micheal Martin (the man who would be Taoiseach, got it, and handed it to Tony Holohan and NPHET), and of course Eamon Ryan (a deluded ideologue more concerned with damaging our energy independence and building empty cycle lanes above all), so we shouldn't be surprised that one of the most collectively weak and ineffective Governments we've ever had has been equally woeful on this key issue.

As I said the other day, we're now into the damage control/limitation phase of all this. Our country has been irrevocably changed in the past 2 years in particular (but this problem goes back a lot longer than that as other posters have demonstrated too), and the core social contract between the State and its citizens has been damaged by the placing of the needs of any randomer with a sad story ahead of the serious domestic issues and needs of our own people that we've been failing to deal with.

It won't be long until full scale Irish Water style protests reappear on our streets. It's already started, despite the attempts of RTE and others to downplay it or demonise the people with nonsense about the "far right". A handful of idiots and agitators doesn't diminish the genuine concerns and opinions of the majority.

I said several years ago that this would become a key election issue yet. It's not at all "aren't I great!", but if I and others could see it coming, why not the army of politicians, civil servants and advisors whose only job is to watch for these things and to prepare responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I suspect they might be trying to add an air of credibility to their reference because one of the 'researchers' works there.

Much like Dolores Cahill worked at UCD.

Do you want to tell the group about Mankind Quarterly and why they might be interested in this 'research' or will I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

In addition to this there is:

• Wokism (for want of a better word). Mainstream politicians are afraid of being called out for being "far-right" or racist or want to be seen as virtuous by their peers. Fear of being called out by international NGOs.
    • Pandering to vested interests who directly and indirectly benefit from large numbers of IPAs.

But for the most part I would agree that it is a misguided belief that the country is benefiting. My belief is that there's an ideology that places GDP growth above all else in the belief that the country as a whole will benefit.

GDP growth is good but must be balanced with other policies. Bringing in large numbers of people to do low-wage jobs does boost GDP but comes at a cost of driving down wages while simultaneously pushing up accommodation costs. There are some who benefit from both of these effects but the country as a whole does not.

Now will you answer my question? Didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

there's something like 3000 migrants sleeping rough in Brussels, Netherlands has similar problems. We're just joining the party now lol. numbers are going to totally explode into europe in the coming years as weather gets worse and resources dwindle and the wars that will be caused from all that.

we don't have an army, a navy, border controls, a totally incompetent police force, what could wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pats22b

I've no idea who is behind the plan but it's here in back and white..

This plan will prepare us for population growth of approximately 1 million between 2016 and 2040, and help us to deal with the ongoing challenges of COVID-19 and Brexit.

So that's a little over 40k extra per year by my reckoning....

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/7ac57-government-launches-the-renewed-national-development-plan-2021-2030/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It started with Sutherland and continues in Davos. I agree with you that there is much more going on out of sight of those "not in the know" than we think.

Oh look, I am now a conspiracy theorist. Or will be called one just like people are/were called Far Right recently. I suppose being called FR is easier for the peasants to understand and thus back off, as opposed to being called a conspiracy theorist, because that has to be explained to idiots who KNOW what's going on but are gaslit left right and centre. Pun intended politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

It just proves he or she has not read it and just decided to rubbish it, objectivity means just because you don't like something it doesn't change it's intrinsic value and you still have to add the data into your project or experiment or policy

We have seen this with the tobacco industry and recently the oxycodon opiate crisis in the states where they attacked research they didn't like

I used figures from our own oireachtas which would have come directly from Roderic O'Gorman and Helen McEntee's department's of Integration or Justice. Those figures cannot be ignored or undermined. The only possibility would be to deem Roderic O'Gorman and Helen McEntee and their departments wholesale incompetent which would outright prove the case of the side they oppose. A checkmate situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Absolutely nobody thinks Ireland's alone.

These "AS" fleeing persecution and war etc etc etc are all passing through the continent of Europe/UK to get to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Could someone answer my question please - Where are all the women who are fleeing oppression?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm a bit late to the party but I see there's now 70 tents on both sides of the Grand Canal in Dublin.

slow clap Government, slow clap

How the **** can this blight of tents continue in our capital. When is enough a enough? When does the government declare a national emergency and stop this chaos.

Where is Ireland's deterrent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

You are a conspiracy theorist as you believe a particular conspiracy is happening behind the scenes. Doesn't mean you are wrong, just that its only a theory at the moment. And who are you referring to as peasants?

There is no objectivity or logic applied by a very smalll minority of posters who post like they are part of a secondary school debating society who must argue the side they have been assigned regardless if it goes against all logic or reason. You all know who I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

100%, but there seems to be an idea going around that Irish government (and even the opposition) have somehow 'caused' the asylum seeker crisis and are responsible for all the asylum claims. In truth, every country in Europe is having to deal with the major challenge of this at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

The fact remains you are completely wrong. Over 4696 people were returned or deported from Ireland in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

The argument is less that the State’s asylum policies have resulted in an increase in migration entirely absent in other EU Member States, than that the State’s asylum policies have resulted in an increase in migration disproportionate to other EU Member States. Asylum applications in the EU increased 50% from 2021 to 2022, in Ireland they increased 400% from 2021 to 2022. Compared with pre-COVID figures, there was a 34% increase in asylum applications in the EU between 2019 and 2022, there was a 186% increase in Ireland. 

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

According to the Dutch report, non-western migration represents a net expense to the exchequer around 1.7% of GDP, a Government report in Denmark found that non-western immigration represented a net expense to the exchequer of around 1.4% of GDP. Recognising a certain degree of caution for non-peer reviewed papers, I’d be interested in your criticism of the content of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

How would they rack up the credits if they haven’t been working here?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That would be the average citizens who are seen as something between an inconvenience and irritant depending on the situation and the point in the electoral cycle.

In this case it refers to the patronising and insulting notion (as pushed by certain politicians, media outlets, and social media types) that anyone expressing concerns on this topic is either one step removed from being a fascist Nazi, or just gullible and easily led by the "far right" - because, as the likes of McEntee live in social media apps and mistake the polarised ranting for reality, they think that the rest of us care what some randomer with a Twitter account says to the point of taking action.

Of course, there are some who fit that description but they're a tiny minority, or they're antisocial criminal elements using the issue to cause trouble regardless, but again a very very small number vs the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

You're outright wrong

It actually says in the paragraph above the tables refused leave to land does not perclude one from claiming international protection and she actually doesn't answer the deportation question at all

Further she deflects by only producing figures for Dublin

Now as always my interpretation may be incorrect but you'll have to show it to me in the policy you're relying on otherwise your supposition is without foundation and you better go sit down and consider a change of plee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

They are sat at home with the 6 kids and grandparents waiting for the Ryanair tickets to come through the letterbox.In some cases maybe 3 or 4 wives.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement