Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Think you need to start providing links .

That statement should be backed up with a proper link otherwise it could be nonsense or something from a biased group ..how do we know if you won't provide a link ?

And you are asking Megaman to provide links .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You ridicule my mention of the quote of €17 million to bring the building up to standard yet offer not but a single fact to prove me wrong, all of your posts just seem to be prattling on with no actual facts of your own..

"However, a spokesperson for the Department of Housing confirmed that it was deemed unsuitable for refurbishment.

"The building has been assessed and the renovation costs have been initially estimated at €17 million, subject to a full feasibility study," the spokesperson said.

"Such a study would take approximately nine months before work could begin."-Feb23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree, Yet it seems to be the only answer being proposed scarily.

Absolute idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Oh these were linked previously, I’ve restated them. Entire discussion is worth checking out.

• Advertisement

No one can seem to answer the question as to why all of these male migrants are coming here crossing many EU states to get a small island at the edge of Europe on the Atlantic Ocean, what's the draw?

And many who come in via the smugglers have no English and no marketable job skills either to pay their own way even if they had a work permit.

Then repost if you have them . Or provide the post link.

Thanks .

Shows you how much I read the stuff you type up on here..🙈

A bit of structure, grammar and reasonable english would help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There are plenty of non nationals who got their papers, got family over and are relaxing on social welfare. Some have set up businesses, taking over areas. Same as everywhere I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

I remember watching a programme on rte recently about the priesthood and ardal o'hanlon was walking around a deserted clonliffe college and I couldn't help wonder why the building wasn't being put to better use.

Could the govt not CPO or use it to house homeless people while it's lying empty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just see that the only public bus, including school buses, YES 1 bus, to Crooksling is even more packed now with school kids having to share a packed bus with a load of male migrants.

People are too **** nice in Ireland. And the government is just **** all over this charity.

I wonder what is the **** point of working, paying tax and having kids when it's an absolute **** waste of time. Worried about if we can afford a pet and its vet care, while I'm paying for Ukranian pets.

It's a real **** joke.

Michael McNamara calling out a load of failure by the department of Justice in the dail and just getting a blah blah blah response from Simon. And Helen looking like she couldn't care less.

Load of tents along the canal and the logo is Tresspass. Seriously, are they that tone deaf, that they'd distribute tents with Tresspass on them.

All of this from 10 minutes on YouTube.

It's like something Monty Python would dream up or an incredibly bizzare version of Yes Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

i honestly don't know how anyone can defend the current policy. The government are asleep at the wheel. I wouldnt be surprised if it falls before the local and European elections.

You ridicules me talking about me prattling and Rattling on about it.

Yet here you are ...

I posted that link you quote ..because if you read it past the 17 million , you would see that the architect for the Dept of Housing thought it was a great and cost effective idea, that would fund over 600 hostel beds in the city and less expensive or time consuming than building modular housing from scratch !

It just wasn't quick enough for Ukrainian refugees at the time.

So it probably will be ditched again instead of rowing forward to create a really good economical accommodation in the city centre.

This shows the short sightedness of the DoH and lack of joined up thinking of the government departments as a whole .

This accommodation could have been done in less than 9 months so the present crisis since Christmas could have been averted .

But that would have meant Darragh O'Brien talking to Stephen Donnelly and including Roderick O' Gorman in the discussions .

Which they obviously did not do ..party politics in a coalition ?

We will never have any sense or organisation with this government .

THEY are the problem here .

Maybe then you should go and learn some .

Maybe if you read what people post you would not feel the need to be so confrontational .

I was agreeing with you on the 17 million but disagreeing over the value .

Anyway am not happy you were so rude(

(.no need for getting personal )

so will bid you goodnight .

My post just after yours 😐

They are THE WORST !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

We need to find out the absolute MINIMUM we HAVE to provide and do that. No medical cards, no expenses money, no money for sleeping in tents, no free education, no free dental, no food above and beyond the very bare minimum we have to provide. NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

“So it probably will be ditched again instead of rowing forward to create a really good economical accommodation in the city centre. “ and hostels do not belong in the same post - now decent bedsits I could get behind but 17mil for what really is a barracks with a nice sign and a bright color paint outside is not good, economical or even accommodation really.

I think the government is using social media to figure out who they can imprison that doesn't agree with them.

They just pretend they are stupid.

Like waiting until a rapist rapes someone to check the EU rapist database to see if they were a rapist when they entered the country.

Thomas , every country and city in the world has Hostel accommodation for tourists .

We have some very crvppy ones .

This could be something else given the lovely building .

There is a place for it whether used for refugees or tourists

• Advertisement

I feel bad being on here. It's like I'm committing some kind of thought crime. It's like 1984. The novel, not the period in history with some decent pop music. 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Astonishing to witness another level of complete utter clueless response to this unfolding crisis.

Was reported the Dept of Justice & other government depts were alerted well in advance that many illegal and or IPA's were arriving through NI. The UK's Rwanda style deal wasn't anything top secret, for what nearly 2 years the idea was broadcasted from Whitehall and yet our government incapable of been pro-active to all the warning signs completely ignored it.

So far this week,
    Attempts to move IPA folks onto other facilities a complete shambles resulting in tents reappearing around DC.
    Bribing IPA folk to stay clear from certain leafy areas of DC.
    Desperately checking every empty warehouse, building to accommodate the influx of people arriving in.
    Protests and huge anger from local rural areas taking in huge percent per ratio of IPAs in small communities.
    Government entering the private housing market, providing IPA accommodation.

Where's the leadership, planning, vision and communication from our minsters & top civil servants ?
    Reading over many posts suggesting accommodation capacity is the driving issue here, No it's creating accommodation including lack of deterrents are attracting many people over the border.
    It's a sad situation, nobody wins here especially when the issue isn't even declared a crisis to save face from those clinging onto power.

Imagine RoG and McAtee are feeling huge pressure, nothing I wish on anyone. They need to resign, or even muster up another approach to fix this crisis. Bumpy road ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see Td Michael McNamara is claiming he knows migrants who have come from the UK via agencies in the UK who are basically trafficking people here. They are told they will have work and are giving the IPO postcode. Crazy if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Sex offenders are placed on a sex offenders register. They are subjected to supervision. It only applies in countries where there is a sex offenders register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Employment rates for IPAs aren't specifically captured in Ireland. In place studies such as the ERSI one I've shared have looked at cohorts with known higher rates of IPAs, which indicate that the majority are employed.

Notably employment rates have increased significantly in line with improved access to the labour market.

This chapter has also presented a case study on African nationals and their labour
    market situation. While previous research found a higher unemployment rate
    among African nationals, the reasons for which were believed to be in part due to
    the length of time spent in the international protection system without access to
    work, new data indicate that the gap has now significantly decreased, with African
    nationals and Irish nationals on par for unemployment levels.

"The International Protection Office (IPO) takes the asylum applicant’s fingerprints, they are only checked against two databases, Eurodac and SIS, and neither is a criminal database."

• Registered Users Posts: 54,128 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No the Government and left loonies are calling anyone who disagrees with this blight as far right. Honest to god Irish people who care deeply for this country are now seeing it going down the shitter and they feel helpless. This blight is getting worse and worse and this government are doing absolutely **** all to stop it and in-fact making it worse.

This country has never needed a general election as bad as we need it now. Will a GE fix this mess? No, but they cannot perform as bad as what we see now.

The good thing is the Local and European elections are coming up, so voters will finally get this voice their opinion at the polling station and I hope we give this government some bloody nose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That's correct. But as I said sex offenders are registered and subject to supervision. In countries where sex offender registers exist. it's a totally different system.

We don't check ordinary criminal records for anyone entering the country, apart from visa holders.

• Advertisement

Think we are better off listening to the music !

This thread is unrelentingly depressing and people are posting some very apocalyptic stuff ..some posts might be true , others are just nihilistic and scaremongering

A lot of middle ground people too but get squeezed into one camp or other by others who cannot accept that people may not be in one camp or the other .

It just goes round in circles though .

There are few solutions except change the government .afaics.

Advertisement